Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Changing bars on my LHT - shifter question

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-23, 07:55 AM
trailz 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

After purchasing a used Moloko bar, I'm updating my 2010 LHT from the stock handle bar.

Does anyone have a reco for some relatively inexpensive shifters for the LHT gearing? I guess thumb shifters would be better, but grip could work also.

Paul thumbies (reusing the bar end shifters) at $110-120 are more than I want to spend.
Thanks
Old 04-04-23, 10:53 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 744 Posts
Originally Posted by trailz
After purchasing a used Moloko bar, I'm updating my 2010 LHT from the stock handle bar.

Does anyone have a reco for some relatively inexpensive shifters for the LHT gearing? I guess thumb shifters would be better, but grip could work also.

Paul thumbies (reusing the bar end shifters) at $110-120 are more than I want to spend.
Thanks
What shifters do you have now? If they are bar ends they should fit the Moloko bars, since they have an ID of 19-20mm. You can also mount the original bar end shifters as down tube shifters.

MicroShift makes these: https://www.amazon.com/Microshift-Th...s%2C76&sr=8-11
Old 04-04-23, 02:10 PM
trailz 

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I'm trying to replace the two shifters for sub $50 if possible. I'd love to have them up on the bars near the grips/brakes, not on bar ends.
Old 04-04-23, 04:01 PM
Thulsadoom

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert, 2002 TREK 520, Schwinn Mesa WINTER BIKE, Huffy Rock Creek 29er, 1970s-era Ross ten speed. All my bikes are highly modified(except the Tarmac) yet functional, and generally look beat to ****. .

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 51 Posts
Sunrace M10 thumbies will work. They're only 12 bucks or so.
Old 04-04-23, 11:16 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4358 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
Thumbies are worth it. Paul makes nice stuff and the Moloko bar is a good bar I have it on my parts bike hybrid and so glad I got to try it.

I think Velo Orange does a thumb shifter mount and I believe IRD did one as well. I wouldn't switch from those personally though I will say some of those alt bars don't work as well with thumbies. I know the Koga Denham bar which I also have a love wouldn't work (unless upside down maybe) but I think the Moloko could get away with it.

I really wouldn't want anything else personally I like trigger shifters just fine and have a few of them but do like a friction front shifter and you cannot really do that with a trigger.
Old 04-05-23, 06:39 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
From my experience, trigger shifters are just so much nicer to use compared to thumb shifters. Your lht is 9 speed and numerous 9 spd triggers are available.
Will you be doing this yourself or getting a store to do it?
Old 04-05-23, 05:11 PM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 525 Posts
If you were 10 speed I would suggest these SL-R780, Ultegra level trigger shifters.
Old 04-05-23, 05:24 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
Originally Posted by trailz

Thanks
you could find some deore 9 spd trigger shifters (maybe not made new anymore), or microshift makes 9 spd triggers at a reasonable price.
Deore level or similar will give you perfectly good, perfectly working trigger shifters with a nice light touch and shifting.
Personally I cant stand grip shifters, but thats up to you.
Im sure you can find some good 9 spd trigger shifters for 40, 50 bucks? Start some searching and see what you find. Deore is a great performance/cost balance.
You will have to make sure that you fd will work with a trigger shifter. If not, you could put on a cheap thumb shifter for the fd only, and buy only a right hand trigger shifter.

lots of options here, and not expensive either.
Likes For djb:
Old 04-05-23, 06:34 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Lots of 3x9 shifters for under $50:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...ters&_osacat=0

(I think road and mountain 3x9 shifters and derailleurs are all interoperable)
Likes For tyrion:
Old 04-05-23, 07:36 PM
dvdwmth

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
I use deore thumb shifters in friction mode from around 1990. They will probably still be on my bike when I'm dead. Nothing magical, but they work, likely forever. unfortunately the prices seem to be going up. LHT from that year has braze ons for downtube shifters doesn't it? Those should be widely available and cheap.