Go Back  Bike Forums > The Market Place > For Sale
Reload this Page >

1985 Specialized Allez SE (“American Flyers”) - $735

Search
Notices
For Sale Items for sale, bicycle and cycling related items only, please! Requires upgraded Membership to post new threads. This forum is intended for individual members to sell their bikes and bike related gear, and not for commercial ventures or company sales. Prices must be quoted up front, we are not an auction site, and do not link to your ebay auctions.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-23, 03:01 PM
Iowhat

Bikes: Centurion Pro Tour ('81), Specialized Stumpjumper ('82), Raleigh Portage ('84), Specialized Expedition ('85), Specialized Allez SE ('85), Miyata Ridge Runner SE ('85.5), Fuso ('86), Novara X-R ('87), Peugeot Chorus ('88), Moots Mooto X YBB ('11)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts

SOLD!
(Leaving post here for future reference)

PRICE DROP!!!
For Sale: 1985 Specialized Allez SE (“American Flyers”) - $700

Size: 58cm, Seat Tube: 58cm (c-t-c), Top Tube: 56cm (c-t-c), Stand over: ~83.5cm (33”)

Frame & Fork: This bike is in very good condition overall with very low usage. No dents or rust. Only a few small chips or scratches that were touched up by original owner years ago. Frame and fork are in excellent shape.
Paint condition: the metallic red paint is faded mainly on the drive side, giving the appearance of a unique ‘fade’ paint job. The faded paint is more of a light red/salmon pink, but it is still smooth, shiny, clean, and glossy. The non-drive side of the frame still has deep metallic red paint. This frame and fork would make for a relatively easy re-paint, if you so desired, but it also looks cool the way it is. The labels are in good condition, the tubing decals are faded.
Components: The major components are all original to the bike and show little wear – even the Suntour Superbe brake shoes are original. I stripped the bike down to the frame and cleaned and hand polished everything, lubed bearings and replaced consumables. See the full list of components below.

I acquired this bike about 9 months ago from the original owner. The bike was bought in 1985 at a local bike shop in Tucson, so its entire life (so far) has been in a rust-free area. The owner had 5 bikes that he used for commuting and training rides, which is the reason this one had such low wear and tear. I have not ridden it much – literally just a few times around the block to test everything when I finished the clean-up and replacement of consumables. The bike rides smoothly, the wheels are true, shifting and braking are accurate, the headset, pedals, and bottom bracket are buttery smooth. The replacement Dia-Compe brake hoods and Fizik bar tape look and feel good.

Feel free to ask questions. More photos available upon request.
Local pickup near Tucson. Will ship to USA only (lower 48 states), but be advised shipping rates are currently high (expect $200).
Accepted payments: cash (USD), Venmo, CashApp, PayPal

Components
Frame – Specialized Special Racing Series double-butted chromoly, Shimano dropouts w/micro-adjust
Fork – Specialized CrMo blades and steerer, crown with lost wax “S” logo
Headset – Specialized (steel) channel seal
Handlebar – Specialized Model-1 bars (40cm, w/new Fizik Microtex tape)
Stem – Specialized S-2 stem (100mm)
Brakes/Levers – Suntour Superbe (w/new Dia-Compe hoods and Velo Orange brake cables/housing)
Seatpost – SR CT-P5 Laprade (black fluted)
Saddle – Selle Italia (the ’85 catalog lists Specialized Delta black suede saddle)
Crankset – Specialized (“Flag”) Racing 52x42T, 170mm
Bottom Bracket – Specialized Sealed
Pedals – Specialized Racing w/Specialized toe clips and new MKS black leather straps (I’ll include the original Specialized leather straps, which succumbed to the desert heat)
Derailleurs – Suntour Superbe front and rear
Shifters – Suntour Superbe Pro friction braze-on (w/new Velo Orange cables)
Freewheel – Suntour New Winner Ultra-6 (13,15,17,19,21,23)
Hubs – Specialized Sealed low-flange 36-hole
Rims – Saturae HC-20 super hard anodized, w/14G Wheelsmith stainless spokes
Tires – American Classic Timekeeper 700x25c (new w/new tubes)
Other Stuff: two ‘original to bike’ Specialized 5.0 water bottle cages, new chain (SRAM PC-850), original Suntour spoke protector included (in great shape), I’ll also include the original shifter and brake cables/housing, spoke reflectors, original chain (cracked plates), and used mid- ‘80s yellow Benotto handle bar tape and plugs that came on the bike.

Faded and old touch-up

Last edited by Iowhat; 10-29-23 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Sold
Likes For Iowhat:
Old 12-04-23, 09:15 PM
obiwanshinobi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beautiful condition!
Unfortunately not my size.