Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Indestructible 700c single speed wheel with coaster brake?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-23, 07:40 PM
corvalliscycles

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I got a new bike and I have broken three spokes (so far) so I'm looking for an indestructible rear wheel, 700c with coaster brake, to replace the generic POS that came with the bike. I used to ride a Long Haul Trucker like mad all over creation and never once broke a spoke. That's what I'm looking for for my new bike. Don't give a **** how much it weighs, just want it to be uber solid. Would love to buy a bombproof Dutch wheel, but thinking it might be crazy expensive to ship.

Any recommendations, with links if you can? Thanks in advance!
Old 10-22-23, 05:53 AM
88ss

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 55 Posts
Buy a good book on building wheels and get your spokes tight to specificiation and you will stop breaking spokes. It does not matter how much cash you throw at a problem, you can not guarantee a wheel is good unless a real bicycle mechanic looks it over, and all serious cyclists should also be serious bicycle mechanics.
Old 10-22-23, 07:26 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 266 Posts
None are truly "indestructible".
Generally rider's weight and riding style determine life of a wheel.
Good luck though...
Old 10-22-23, 10:26 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
My speculation is the spokes were loose, you do something like pick up the front end of the bike but let the rear slam when going up a curb, you weigh a lot.
Or some combo of the three.
Old 10-23-23, 03:43 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4359 Post(s)
Liked 3,998 Times in 2,668 Posts
This would be the wheel if I was stuck on a coaster brake:
Bad Ass Coaster Brake Wheel ? MON?

Rebuilt known quantity hub with a hand built wheel designed all around Klunking (early U.S. mountain biking) would be a good choice. I have considered building a Klunker but in the end I don't need it and wouldn't ride it nearly enough but it would be fun if I had the space and money.

Don't assume Dutch wheels are bombproof. They don't ride much even though they do ride all the time they aren't riding like we might in the U.S. they have a lot of infrastructure around them for cycling and they are flat. Not to say they are poorly built or not reliable bikes but they aren't putting the sort of mileage and usage that you might see in the U.S.
Old 10-27-23, 01:19 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
For the rim, you want a Velocity Cliffhanger, or maybe a Chukker or Dyad. Use at least 32 spokes, prefferably 36, and brass nipples. Little details in the wheel's construction make a world of difference, so find a reputable wheel builder and communicate your parameters and needs clearly, then be ready to spend accordingly. Alternatively, you can learn to build it yourself. It is not too hard if you take your time and do a lot of reading. Taking this approach, you could do it for about $230. That's 80 bucks for a Sturmey-Archer X-RD hub, 100 for a Velocity rim, and 50 bucks for 36 spokes and nipples.

Last edited by Broctoon; 10-27-23 at 01:34 PM.
Old 10-30-23, 02:32 PM
somepetalhead

Bikes: CROSS CHECK SZ 52 / MEDICI GT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts
the Mone is the tits... I have had 2 of them currently have one laced to the stans hoop i think (i took the stickers off) . Or you could get the sturmey archer and a ATLAS hoop to toss on it or the Cliffhanger. I do like the Velo Orange Voyager for beast ness but the atlas is hard to beat in terms of tough.
Likes For somepetalhead:
Old 11-29-23, 12:20 PM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 136 Posts
https://velomine.com/products/sun-cr...speed-wheelset
Likes For IAmSam: