Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

Toddler In A Car Seat in a Child Bike Trailer???

Search
Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-15, 06:33 PM
epim00

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Two things:
1) I've done a fair amount of research and genuinely can't find an answer, so I'm here.
2) I really, really want to bike with my two year old and my wife is really, really against it for safety reasons.

My toddler is 2.5 y.o. and I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts on putting a child car seat in a bike trailer to better persuade my unconvinced wife. I know this is a common strategy for infants, but how about toddlers? In addition to being overkill, is this even doable or advisable?

Nate.
Old 01-26-15, 06:09 AM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I don't see how you're going to secure the car seat well, so this at worst makes it more dangerous.

At best, they'll lose a lot of the suspension from the fabric seat, so you'll make the ride worse.

Trailers don't easily tip (even if the bike does), so the danger is getting hit by a car. Car seat isn't take going to help that much (in that unlikely event).
Old 01-26-15, 09:58 AM
delcrossv

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Put the kid in a Burley Bee and ride the trails. Hopefully that'll satisfy the wife. As Charles says, a good trailer is just as safe w/o a car seat as the kid is strapped in. I've put several hundred miles on ours with both 1 and 2 kids in it without worries.

What are your wife's specific objections?
Old 01-27-15, 01:18 PM
Tony Marley

Bikes: Catrike 700; Bike Friday Llama single; Bike Friday Tandem Tuesday; Easy Racers Ti-Rush recumbent; Catrike Expedition; Rans Seavo tandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 29 Posts
+1 on the Burley trailer, with a properly fitted bicycle helmet.

But in another year or so, it will be time to move up to a "periscope" tandem or a small Bike Friday tandem....
Old 01-30-15, 11:56 PM
epim00

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nothing specific. Generalized, irrational, inarguable fear.

Nate.
Old 02-01-15, 01:23 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Have friends that Did such In The 70's .. Trailer (steel) had a Plywood deck to attach the car seat To , and high side rails ..

She Grew Up OK ..

Now, Many Child trailers have Seat belts .. some 4 point ..

The extra Space can allow some plush toys, to come along (and perhaps be thrown out along the way..)

Last edited by fietsbob; 02-04-15 at 12:02 PM.
Old 02-02-15, 10:54 AM
metz1295

Bikes: '97 Cannondale M500; '14 Specialized Secteur Compact; '21 Trek Roscoe 7

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
I'm in between on this question. I have no problem putting my 3 yr old in a trailer, but I'm very specific about how I approach his safety. I would not add a car seat to the trailer. All it does is add weight for you and removes mobility from your child. Resulting in lowering enjoyment for everyone. A quality trailer will have a harness designed to suspend the child in the event of an incredibly rare rollover. My safety attention goes to where I pull the trailer. He is only with me on residential streets and bike paths. I will not pull him on a busy roadside.

If you're trying to set your wife's mind at ease, I recommend trying to get her out with you. Let her see how your efforts are solely focused on the safety of your child.
Old 02-03-15, 03:30 PM
ray.garza

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus Limited and 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Set rules that she can agree to like ride on only bike trails, car free state parks or other "safe" areas that are separated from streets. Also, have her come out with you and cycle together as a family. If you know someone else that cycles with kids invite them to join you and your family. Something to ponder.
Old 02-03-15, 03:55 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Two and a half? My wife couldn't wait to put my kid in the trailer and he's 7mo
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 02-06-15, 05:16 PM
HawkeyeBike

Bikes: Giant Escape 2 XL; 2015 Felt Z75 Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My daughter is 3 years old and rides in a Burely with a bike helmet on behind me. The Burely has a 5-point harness in it so she is safe. Get a tall orange bike flag to attach to it and should be fine. My daughter loves bike rides.
Old 03-16-15, 12:24 PM
snow_echo_NY

Bikes: Scott Genius, Surly Crosscheck, Yuba Mundo cargo, Specialized Dolce Triple (stolen 5/8/15)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nate @epim00 no no no! a car seat is meant for only a car and approved for use on a commercial plane.

we use a chariot carriers multi-use bike trailer. it's recently been bought by Thule. it converts to a jogging stroller and a XC ski sled. the entire frame or "cage" is titanium, front and back. she has a five point harness and wears a helmet. we have been riding with her since she was 1 years old. when i'm riding with her i just remember that i'm "driving a bus" and to make enough clearance for wide turns. the only incident we had was last year, i tipped over going over a curb (my fault). i got some scrapes and she was secure in her trailer, she had a mild scare but she was totally okay. while riding with her these past few years, she does get scared if i pick up too much speed. so i ride slow and easy so she can enjoy the ride too.

there are some good bike trailers available. ours also came with a tall orange bike trailer flag. read up on them and their features and have your wife read them. her fear is irrational and fueled by her not knowing. fear of the unknown is a thing, especially for a mom (as one, i totally understand)

good luck!
Old 03-16-15, 01:04 PM
Cyclosaurus

Bikes: 1993 NOS Mt Shasta Tempest, Motobecane Fantom Cross CX, Dahon Speed D7, Dahon Vector P8, Bullitt Superfly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We have one of these. It's called a Taga and we got it because my wife was against the trailer for safety reasons. Btw, it also converts into a stroller. Pretty clever, fun to ride, the child is up front to be seen and interacted with.

Old 03-16-15, 01:33 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyclosaurus
the child is up front to be seen and interacted with.
Yeah, this is my one major dislike of the trailer so far. However the wife is quite opposed to anything that would position the baby as the point of impact in a wreck.

I've never seen a toy store with aisles that wide :-D
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 03-16-15, 02:17 PM
Juha
Formerly Known as Newbie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by epim00
Nothing specific. Generalized, irrational, inarguable fear.
I think this prettty much nails it. I'm not sure you can do anything to convince her it's safe... maybe start with rides outside of traffic as suggested already?

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?

Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines
Old 03-18-15, 12:14 PM
duketg

Bikes: 2007 Trek 3900, 1997 GT Legacy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by snow_echo_NY
Nate @epim00 no no no! a car seat is meant for only a car and approved for use on a commercial plane.
I have to agree with this, it's really not safe to use a car seat in a way that it wasn't designed for.

I was taking my youngest out in the trailer at around 1yr and never felt unsafe, but anecdotes are not facts. As others have mentioned, I'd say see if you can start with rides on paths only if that's an option. Maybe once your wife gets acclimated to the idea you can expand from there? I tend to stick to paths and neighborhood streets with the trailer. I don't think I'd ever do busy road/highway, even with a bike lane. Maybe that's an irrational fear too, but it's my level of comfort.