Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Planning on buying some Reynolds Assault Carbon Clinchers. How are they? Anyone use?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Planning on buying some Reynolds Assault Carbon Clinchers. How are they? Anyone use?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-13, 11:05 AM
Chrise510

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are the Reynolds from 2011 the same as the 2012? If not, what's the difference?
I don't mind having an older model wheelset as long as its not THAT old. For the most part, they make a new set of wheels every year and just change the decals and maybe make it a little "fast" but I'm sure there isn't a big difference if any.
Old 02-27-13, 12:08 PM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Dopolina
"Proprietary" means you OWN the mold...
If you own it, you can sell it, or license it, or loan it....
Old 02-27-13, 12:10 PM
tkm

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 19 Posts
I picked up a set about 3 weeks ago. For the record, the decals peel right off (and they look 100x better IMO). Haven't had a chance to ride them yet, but they seem like a quality wheel.
Old 02-27-13, 12:12 PM
Munk69

Bikes: Ridley Helium

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I think the wheels on Nashbar are 12's. One of the reviews talks about the CTg brake system that came out on the 12's. I do not believe (I could be wrong), that CTg was available on the 11's.

My new wheels look excatly like that and they are 12's.
Old 02-27-13, 12:32 PM
goose70

Bikes: '19 Cannondale Evo, '12 Guru Flite; '10 CAAD9, Trek MTB

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
I considered these, but went with a Reynolds 66-44 combo instead (tubular). I purchased a lightly used set on eBay (from a brick and mortor bike shop) for $100 more than what you are considering paying for ther Assaults. And that included tubular tires.

In some reviews I read about the Assaults, folks complained that they were not quite as stiff as some other choices within the price range, such as Mavic Cosmic Carbone SLs. The 44s also have better hubs and the "Swirl Lip Generator" design on the rim, which supposedly improves aerodynamics, particularly at angles.

I recently tested this on Sunday in 15-20kt x-winds here in Annapolis. The wheels tracked remarkably true even in these conditions...at least as well as my 30mm alloy wheels and much better than a set of cheap 46mm carbon rims I borrowed last spring. I cannot say for certain, but I would venture to guess that the Assaults would perform more like the cheap carbon rims and less like the 44s. If I’m right, then that begs the question, why buy them? If for racing, then why not look for a set of used 44s, or at least buy the tubular version of the Assault? If for just riding around, then the Assaults seem like a wheelset limited to ideal conditions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Bike.jpg (67.7 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by goose70; 02-27-13 at 12:37 PM.
Old 02-27-13, 04:07 PM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 1,950 Times in 1,206 Posts
I just purchased a new set of Attacks from a shop on ebay for $709 shipped. No skewers or brake pads, but whatever. How can I tell what year they are?

Last edited by ls01; 02-27-13 at 04:11 PM.
Old 02-27-13, 04:17 PM
save10
Arrogant Roadie Punk

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use my 2009-2010 Assaults as my everyday wheels. I have crashed them twice and I treat them like crap. I ride them at a weekly hammer ride that includes repetitive rail crossings and and pot holes. I have had no problems with the wheels. I initially got the Reynolds Insurance plan because I thought i would break them hitting a pot hole, but it hasnt happened. I no longer race these wheels because I since switched over to tubulars for racing. I would buy these wheels again, though not at full price because as has been demonstrated internet deals are out there.

FYI.....I got my Reynolds DV46 Tubular for 900ish off Competitive Cyclist when Reynolds switched to new graphics. They sold out in a few hours. I got an email alert at a meeting on my cellphone....excused myself to go to the restroom...bought the wheels and came back to the meeting. End of year and beginning of new product cycles is a good time to find deals. I also bought 2 Edge 2.0 forks for 1/2 price of the Enve website when they had to change there name
Old 02-27-13, 06:43 PM
tgreene

Bikes: Litespeed road, Bridgestone road, Bontrager (real one) foo road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The 2011 & 2012 Assault clinchers are identical. Both have the "new" cTg brake tracks. Same spokes & hubs. 2013s have the same rims but different hubs (& maybe spokes).

I had the 2011s for over a year and sold them. The crosswind forces and poor braking got to me. Now I use HED Ardennes as everyday wheels and a pair of old Reynolds DV UL tubulars for racing. If I could keep only 1 set I'd keep the HEDs. They are better for everyday riding, solo or packs - better braking, better cornering, not a handful in crosswinds. I don't care if the Reynolds save 6 Watts under a relatively small set of conditions.
Old 02-27-13, 07:17 PM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Brilliant - other than steep/long downhills.
Old 02-28-13, 05:13 PM
ThinLine

Bikes: Pedal Force RS2, Canyon, Basso, Tommaso, Rock Racing, Schwinn, SWOBO, Trek

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reynolds is in the same leauge as Easton in my opinion, top notch quality, craftsmanship and materials. Carbon is going to get more expensive due to limited manufacturing and supply. Its an expensive material and the aerospace/military always gets first dibs on it.

The trickle down limited supply is then used in automotive then bicycles. You will see more unidirectional Nano tube carbon replacing the lay up procedures of carbon fiber in strand form. Still expensive.
Old 03-01-13, 01:06 AM
Kojie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gc3
Call me skeptical. I'm not saying it ain't so, but you better take a close look at what you have.
They are 100% orig and i even registered them in the reynolds site. it came in a reynolds box, manual, skewers and brake pads. It came from a local lbs that is well known. I even got my DA9000 set last month for 1800 from them.

I aint from the USA btw
Old 03-01-13, 01:26 AM
bike_boy
Lula Mae = 15 lbs.

Bikes: 2011 Trek Madone 6.5 w/SRAM Red 22

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the 2011 Reynolds Assaults w/CTg brake track and use the Reynolds Cyro Blue brake pads. The CTg brake track is an improvement over the 2010 and earlier Assaults which used a ceramic brake track. The CTg one, IIRC, when heated up by excessive braking is 100 degrees less than the ceramic track. I've had no issues with these rims. Braking is good with blue pads. Though stopping in wet conditions takes longer than with my prior alumuminum rims; I've learned to brake sooner in such conditions.

I like climbing with these rims much better than my old aluminum rims; rotational weight is much lighter.

Swapped out my Renolds skewers for KCNC ti ones.
Old 03-01-13, 01:38 AM
bike_boy
Lula Mae = 15 lbs.

Bikes: 2011 Trek Madone 6.5 w/SRAM Red 22

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You may want to consider the Reynolds Assurance Program (RAP) for their wheels. (2 yr. program) You have to register serial # of your wheels and purchase RAP within 30 days of purchasing wheelset.

RAP is only available, if you purchased from a Reynolds authorized dealer. You can call them or I believe you can verify via their website per authorized dealer.
Old 03-01-13, 02:00 AM
HCI

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
is there still a 20% code? can't find it, thanks