Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

My quest for a new bike has been a rollercoaster

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

My quest for a new bike has been a rollercoaster

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-13, 10:02 AM
Looigi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Great deal, love the color scheme. Reminds me of some of the Kawasaki ZXs I've owned.
Old 11-25-13, 11:05 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 432 Posts
Originally Posted by gus6464
... I have a short torso and long legs so the 54 might be a better fit than the 56.
I'm 6ft and inseam is 33in. I test rode a Roubaix on Saturday and I just did not feel comfortable at all on the bike. I also rode a Madone 6 series H1 and it felt really good although it was a much more aggressive geometry.
if you are 6 ft and 33 cycling inseam, then I wouldn;t say proportional long legs, short torso - more the opposite.
Compact allows a long torso, shorter leg rider to get enough stretch and still not have a toptube in the crotch.
Head tube length is a lot of personal and that comfort depends a lot on hip and lower back flexibility.
Of the comments you've posted here, I've read nothing much which really figures into more than a parts/color decision.
Seems like overall good pricing on either/both.
Is it just that you can;t wait to get the one put together? Or Hard to pass up a deal?
Do either of these compare (similar or quite different) to any bike which you've put some real miles on?
Yeah, for me I have a real hard time choosing if someone offers me a Jolly Rancher Green Apple or a roll of Smarties.
Old 11-26-13, 01:36 AM
gus6464

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
if you are 6 ft and 33 cycling inseam, then I wouldn;t say proportional long legs, short torso - more the opposite.
Compact allows a long torso, shorter leg rider to get enough stretch and still not have a toptube in the crotch.
Head tube length is a lot of personal and that comfort depends a lot on hip and lower back flexibility.
Of the comments you've posted here, I've read nothing much which really figures into more than a parts/color decision.
Seems like overall good pricing on either/both.
Is it just that you can;t wait to get the one put together? Or Hard to pass up a deal?
Do either of these compare (similar or quite different) to any bike which you've put some real miles on?
Yeah, for me I have a real hard time choosing if someone offers me a Jolly Rancher Green Apple or a roll of Smarties.
I am upgrading from a 4 year old Fuji CCR which is very entry level carbon but has done me right. The wait is not an issue as I will get the parts for the Storck in a week if I decide to go that route. I guess the real deciding factor will be the test rides on Wed. If it was any other bike I would have gone for the EVO no contest but the Storck is such a beautiful frame. In attention to detail, the Storck does blow the Cannondale out of the water frame wise.

Last edited by gus6464; 11-26-13 at 02:53 AM.
Old 11-26-13, 01:59 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
why don't you buy a rollercoaster?

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 11-26-13, 02:53 AM
gus6464

Originally Posted by coasting
why don't you buy a rollercoaster?
Yard not big enough.
Old 11-26-13, 07:17 AM
kps88

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
You are so right. This is also why guys with average or short legs for their height don't get endurance geometry frames. A short legged guy on a slammed racing geometry fits identically to a long legged rider on an endurance geometry.
I stumbled on a stat I read the other day. It was stated in the article that unless your cycling inseam...PB to ground is more than 1/2 your height, you don't have long legs for your height. You have long legs for your height and to me this is the hardest fit to achieve on a road bike.
Interesting. I'm about 5`8" and 28" inseam. So I have shorter legs. I just sold my Secteur and ordered a SS EVO. Both are size 52 cm. Of course the Secteur is endurance bike geo and SS is race. I hope what you note is correct. I'm not worried about fit. I test rode the SS and felt no uncomfortable feel because of race geo, however I didn't ride it 30 miles or any long ride. So based on your statement, I should be OK for long rides? I'm in good shape and have done a century and a few 75 plus miles. Typical ride is 30-40 miles. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-26-13, 07:26 AM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by greensmoothie
They also had the red racing for 4k, quite a bit more money but an awesome build. I actually prefer the team colored frame. Keep in mind that is not the hi mod evo frame! I usually buy my bikes from this same dealer around this time of year. A week ago I picked up a 2012 madone 6.7 with dura ace for 3k. I'm pumped on the bike but the weather has allowed for only about ten miles.
It's about a 50 gram difference.
Old 11-26-13, 07:33 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by kps88
Interesting. I'm about 5`8" and 28" inseam. So I have shorter legs. I just sold my Secteur and ordered a SS EVO. Both are size 52 cm. Of course the Secteur is endurance bike geo and SS is race. I hope what you note is correct. I'm not worried about fit. I test rode the SS and felt no uncomfortable feel because of race geo, however I didn't ride it 30 miles or any long ride. So based on your statement, I should be OK for long rides? I'm in good shape and have done a century and a few 75 plus miles. Typical ride is 30-40 miles. Thanks in advance.
With your torso I would have gone to at least a 54cm effective seat tube (nominal bike size). You are going to need all the top tube you can get. Providing you have the necessary standover which should not be a problem with compact geometry.
Old 11-26-13, 07:57 AM
kps88

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
With your torso I would have gone to at least a 54cm effective seat tube (nominal bike size). You are going to need all the top tube you can get. Providing you have the necessary standover which should not be a problem with compact geometry.
Tried that (54 cm). No stand over height whatsoever. I didn't feel comfortable standing on a 54.
Old 11-26-13, 09:52 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Tried that (54 cm). No stand over height whatsoever. I didn't feel comfortable standing on a 54.
Understood. Folks say standover doesn't matter, but it does if you don't have enough. You can use stem length and rise to fine tune the reach and drop.
Old 11-26-13, 11:37 AM
gus6464

The SS EVO is not really compact geometry though.
Old 11-26-13, 04:14 PM
gc3
Falls Downalot

Bikes: Now I Got Two

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Everybody and their brother not riding Trek or Specialized is riding a Cannondale. I like the Storck for you, but hey, I don't have to ride it....

Last edited by gc3; 11-26-13 at 06:22 PM.
Old 11-26-13, 04:27 PM
rpenmanparker 

The SS EVO is not really compact geometry though.
Yep, that could be it.
Old 11-26-13, 06:18 PM
kps88

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm confused by the compact geo remarks. What does that mean?
Old 11-26-13, 06:31 PM
gus6464

I'm confused by the compact geo remarks. What does that mean?
Compact geometry is when you don't go by the actual top tube length but by it's effective length. So take two bikes:

Both have 54cm long top tubes but the compact has it sloping downward vs straight and parallel to the ground. The one with the straight top tube will effectively be a smaller bike than the one with the sloping one. This is popular with carbon frames because the manufacturer ends up using less carbon with a sloping top tube bike to get the same size as the straight one.

Both will fit pretty much the same but the sloping one uses less amount of materials.
Old 11-26-13, 06:43 PM
gc3
Falls Downalot

Bikes: Now I Got Two

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Compact geometry is when you don't go by the actual top tube length but by it's effective length. So take two bikes:

Both have 54cm long top tubes but the compact has it sloping downward vs straight and parallel to the ground. The one with the straight top tube will effectively be a smaller bike than the one with the sloping one. This is popular with carbon frames because the manufacturer ends up using less carbon with a sloping top tube bike to get the same size as the straight one.

Both will fit pretty much the same but the sloping one uses less amount of materials.
Really now, that's the reason, less carbon material per frame?

Not more like...adapted from mountain bikes...by sloping the top tube down, and using a range of stem/seatpost sizes, a manufacturer can produce a smaller number of sizes to fit a wider height/body-type range of riders. So, e.g., s/m/ml/l/xl will accommodate almost everyone; the maker can produce 5 frame sizes instead of a multitude (e.g. 48 to 62 in two cm. increments) to fit the same range of cyclists.

Or you could just take a wikipedia excursion...A road racing bicycle is designed for efficient power transfer at minimum weight and drag. Broadly speaking, the road bicycle geometry is categorized as either a traditional geometry with a horizontal top tube, or a compact geometry with a sloping top tube.

Traditional geometry road frames are often associated with more comfort and greater stability, and tend to have a longer wheelbase which contribute to these two aspects. Compact geometry road frames have a lower center of gravity and tend to have a shorter wheelbase and smaller rear triangle, which give the bike quicker handling. Compact geometry also allows the top of the head tube to be above the top of the seat tube, increasing standover clearance, and lowering the center of gravity. Opinion is divided on the riding merits of the compact frame, but several manufacturers claim that a reduced range of sizes can fit most riders, and that it is easier to build a frame without a perfectly level top tube.
Old 11-26-13, 07:00 PM
gus6464

Originally Posted by gc3

Traditional geometry road frames are often associated with more comfort and greater stability, and tend to have a longer wheelbase which contribute to these two aspects. Compact geometry road frames have a lower center of gravity and tend to have a shorter wheelbase and smaller rear triangle, which give the bike quicker handling. Compact geometry also allows the top of the head tube to be above the top of the seat tube, increasing standover clearance, and lowering the center of gravity. Opinion is divided on the riding merits of the compact frame, but several manufacturers claim that a reduced range of sizes can fit most riders, and that it is easier to build a frame without a perfectly level top tube.
That could all go either way considering that the SS EVO Highmod Nano was named best bike in the world tied with the Storck Fascenario 0.6 for 2013.

Also the statement that the manufacturer can produce 5 frame sizes instead of a multitude to fit same range of cyclists from a financial standpoint literally translates to "less amount of bikes we have produce which means less bikes sitting on the clearance rack at the end of the year".

Last edited by gus6464; 11-26-13 at 07:04 PM.
Old 11-26-13, 07:16 PM
bike_boy
Lula Mae = 15 lbs.

Bikes: 2011 Trek Madone 6.5 w/SRAM Red 22

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wait...you said you went to a Trek store and found a Cannondale?
Old 11-26-13, 07:31 PM
gus6464

Originally Posted by bike_boy
Wait...you said you went to a Trek store and found a Cannondale?
It's called the Trek Superstore and there's 5 locations throughout San Diego area and 1 in New Mexico. They carry every single Trek model but only carry the better equipped Cannondale bikes. The CAAD10 Black Inc. with Di2 looks nice but a bit too much black for me. I like the gold lettering though.