Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cannondale SM 500

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-19, 10:57 AM
krazebill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cannondale SM 500

Hello from Deep South Texas!! I am the lucky purchaser of a frame and a box of parts alleged to contain ALL the Original Parts. In your DREAMS!! Fork does not say Tange on it and headset is showing no marks of identification. The Fork has stamped near the lower Race, 1993 CM / CM and above that is a 6 letter name that starts with "S" Any clues as to what fork I am dealing with here?
Old 09-24-19, 12:51 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
What is an 'SM500'? AFAIK Cannondale made M (mountain) and R (road) and T (touring) models in that era. Never heard of 'SM".
Old 09-24-19, 01:20 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
No lack of hits for SM 500.
https://www.google.com/search?client...nondale+SM+500

(I have no clue about the fork but did own a 1994 H300)
Old 09-25-19, 08:05 AM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Sm500

Originally Posted by krazebill
Hello from Deep South Texas!! I am the lucky purchaser of a frame and a box of parts alleged to contain ALL the Original Parts. In your DREAMS!! Fork does not say Tange on it and headset is showing no marks of identification. The Fork has stamped near the lower Race, 1993 CM / CM and above that is a 6 letter name that starts with "S" Any clues as to what fork I am dealing with here?

Cannondale made the SM series mountain bikes from 1985-1991. By 1992, they had dropped the "s" and just started calling them M series. The fork stamped "s" something and in 1993 could possibly have come from one of their Delta V series bikes. With the S standing for Suspension. The Delta V's had a shock mounted between the bottom of the head tube, and the fork. Also possible the fork could have gone with their regular M series bikes, which had their pepperoni forks, though wouldn't know why it would be stamped with an S. They dropped having an S in front of their various lines in the naming convention after 1991. In 1991 and prior, they would have had the SR series of race bikes, though the fork was aluminum, and the ST series where the fork would have been cromoly, however, the ST's always had a lugged crown.
Old 09-25-19, 11:06 AM
krazebill

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Craptacular8
Cannondale made the SM series mountain bikes from 1985-1991. By 1992, they had dropped the "s" and just started calling them M series. The fork stamped "s" something and in 1993 could possibly have come from one of their Delta V series bikes. With the S standing for Suspension. The Delta V's had a shock mounted between the bottom of the head tube, and the fork. Also possible the fork could have gone with their regular M series bikes, which had their pepperoni forks, though wouldn't know why it would be stamped with an S. They dropped having an S in front of their various lines in the naming convention after 1991. In 1991 and prior, they would have had the SR series of race bikes, though the fork was aluminum, and the ST series where the fork would have been cromoly, however, the ST's always had a lugged crown.
Thanks for the input! The Fork is not so great...there's a sloppy weld on it that looks dangerous. Pepperoni Forks were Aluminum and their steerer tubes are 1-1/4" so no way Pepperoni would fit. Suspension Forks were not offered on this model...although I would consider a decent suspension fork, do you have recommendations? I would like to find a Tange as that was original but finding a 1" x 8.25" threaded steerer is not so simple, everyone has cut them down for the smaller framed bikes. Found some used and new forks on fleabay that will work...but not Tange...not yet.
Old 09-25-19, 12:01 PM
krazebill

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
1985 SM 500 and SM 600 Known for the use of a 24" wheel in the rear and the 26" up front. Supposed to aid in climbing. in 1992 they removed the "S" and they became the "M" you speak of. Aluminum freame steel fork Suntour Roller on the 600 and Suntour crivetrain. My 500 has the odyssey Pit Bull Roller on the rear and a Dia Compe BR MC 70 in front. Suntour XCM RD & FD Suntour 11-32 with Shimano Biopace 28 38 48 up front. Suntour Xpress Accushift Trigger shifters and in need of the handlsbars, headset and Fork-1" x 8.25" threaded Steerer tube.
Old 09-25-19, 12:32 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
That's funny because I rode my 1993 Cannondale SM800 in Zion National Park last Sunday. The picture below clearly shows SM on the frame. It goes by the handle Beast of the East. No idea why it got that name. I paid $20 for it a decade ago at a second hand store. Probably the best bike related purchase I ever made. The wheels are 26"

The label on the 800 fork says Pepperozi and USA below it.

Last edited by VegasTriker; 09-25-19 at 12:40 PM.
Old 09-25-19, 02:18 PM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Fork

Originally Posted by krazebill
Thanks for the input! The Fork is not so great...there's a sloppy weld on it that looks dangerous. Pepperoni Forks were Aluminum and their steerer tubes are 1-1/4" so no way Pepperoni would fit. Suspension Forks were not offered on this model...although I would consider a decent suspension fork, do you have recommendations? I would like to find a Tange as that was original but finding a 1" x 8.25" threaded steerer is not so simple, everyone has cut them down for the smaller framed bikes. Found some used and new forks on fleabay that will work...but not Tange...not yet.
Your best bet is probably a vintage mtb fork. There is a Raleigh on fleabay right now that would likely work. https://www.ebay.com/itm/RALEIGH-26-...YAAOSwAPpdhq0h Wouldn't be able to advise on a suspension fork married to a non-suspension frame.
Old 09-26-19, 07:10 AM
demoncyclist

Bikes: 2011 Lynskey Sportive, 1988 Cannondale SM400

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I still have a late 80s SM400. It was their 3.0 series frame, with Suntour SC-M gruppo. It does not have a Pepperoni fork. I replaced the rear canti brake with one that had a lower profile (I was always kicking it). I also added a TCO seatpost and a lifting spring (no dropper posts back then), and added a Scott AT4 handlebar (an aero-style loop bar) so I had many hand positions, which was really handy on longer road sections. I was lucky enough to live close to a few good riding spots, so I could ride to them instead of loading the bike onto the car.
Old 09-26-19, 07:43 AM
krazebill

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by demoncyclist
I still have a late 80s SM400. It was their 3.0 series frame, with Suntour SC-M gruppo. It does not have a Pepperoni fork. I replaced the rear canti brake with one that had a lower profile (I was always kicking it). I also added a TCO seatpost and a lifting spring (no dropper posts back then), and added a Scott AT4 handlebar (an aero-style loop bar) so I had many hand positions, which was really handy on longer road sections. I was lucky enough to live close to a few good riding spots, so I could ride to them instead of loading the bike onto the car.
Let's see those pics!
Old 09-28-19, 01:03 PM
krazebill

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That's a sweet ride The Beast From The East!! It is definitely not a 1993. It is absolutely a 1991 SM 800 , known as The Beast From The East. It has the 3.0 frame with the aluminium "pepperoni" Fork. Likely has Shimano Deore LX Drivetrain with DX shifters, LX brakeset with DX 2 finger levers and Ritchey Vantage Comp Wheels...Jade Green. or Black with hunter orange splatter...and you stole that bike!! Great Find!