Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Looking for the thumb knobs for ST-M585 Shimano LX 9 speed shifters

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-15, 09:45 AM
ljsense

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 92 Posts

I picked up a sweet XS Klein Attitude for my son, who is 9. He loves the bike, it just fits him, but he has some trouble shifting without pulling the brake levers because of the size of his hands and the fact that both levers are missing the thumb tabs.

The shifters used to have these thumb tabs attached, so you could push on those instead just swinging the brake lever up. The previous owner must have removed them, or they broke or fell off. There is a small metal tab where they attached, I think by clamping an allen bolt.

Anyone have a source for this part? I don't know if Shimano used the same thumb tab for multiple generations or lines of its MTB brake/shift lever sets.

I don't want to change shift/brake levers. These have hydraulic brake lines and I'd rather find a way to make them work.

Thanks!
Old 09-25-15, 09:58 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Have you checked the tech doc? SHIMANO Dealer's Manual / User's Manual

Being realistic, it's unlikely that you will be able to get spares, the DCL concept that this was never progressed, and was abandoned. Would look on Ebay as you may be able to source a complete unit on there.
Old 09-25-15, 10:40 AM
ljsense

Yeah, thanks -- per the specs, I need these Shimano parts: Y-6JX 98080 and Y-6JX 98090 (which are the left and right thumb tabs, or, as they call them, release lever units) and a pair of M4x8 bolts, which I am, haha, resourceful enough to find.
Old 09-28-15, 01:17 PM
ljsense

I got a pair of the shift/brake levers, hydraulic lines, and brake calipers for a reasonable price on eBay. Let me know if you're looking for a set without the thumb tabs. If you have normal sized hands, they work great with just the brake lever.
Old 09-28-15, 02:58 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Shifting with those levers without using the thumb tabs is quite easy if you use the right technique, you simply slip your fingers under the brake levers and shift with the backs of your fingers when shifting to a higher rear or lower front gear selection. Shifting the opposite way is done by shifting with fingers on the top of the lever. Doing it that way has almost no risk of applying the brake by accident. I had similar levers on my old mountain bike and almost never used the thumb tabs