Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Schwinn bike rim keeps bending

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-19, 08:02 PM
r_rmommy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everyone. I'm sorry if this doesn't belong here. If it doesn't, please kindly direct me to the correct place.

My son won a bike at a school fair. From what I can see it is a Schwinn Signature Voyageur 3. It has 28" thin rims, thinner than any bike I've ever seen or ridden. He has had the bike for about 3 months. He rides it daily on the street, sometimes going up and down curbs but not usually as he is not a great rider. Twice now in the few months he's had it the rear rim has bent. We cannot figure out what the heck is happening that would cause it so I googled bike forum and you guys came up.
My son is about 6'2" and 165ish pounds, so it's not like he's too heavy for the bike. He doesn't do tricks.
If anyone can give me any advice, ideas on why this might be happening, etc I would so greatly appreciate it. Please let me know if there is any more information you may need. Thank you!
Old 08-27-19, 08:46 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by r_rmommy
Hi everyone. I'm sorry if this doesn't belong here. If it doesn't, please kindly direct me to the correct place.

My son won a bike at a school fair. From what I can see it is a Schwinn Signature Voyageur 3. It has 28" thin rims, thinner than any bike I've ever seen or ridden. He has had the bike for about 3 months. He rides it daily on the street, sometimes going up and down curbs but not usually as he is not a great rider. Twice now in the few months he's had it the rear rim has bent. We cannot figure out what the heck is happening that would cause it so I googled bike forum and you guys came up.
My son is about 6'2" and 165ish pounds, so it's not like he's too heavy for the bike. He doesn't do tricks.
If anyone can give me any advice, ideas on why this might be happening, etc I would so greatly appreciate it. Please let me know if there is any more information you may need. Thank you!
Riding off or onto curbs can cause wheel rims to self-destruct, if they are not up to the task.

Last edited by JanMM; 08-28-19 at 08:34 PM.
Likes For JanMM:
Old 08-27-19, 08:50 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
Most likely the spoke tension is so uneven, the wheel is easily prone to go out of shape.
The original factory wheel on my hybrid went semi taco when I did a panic stop/nose stand. Just the weight of the bike dropping back down knocked the wheel "silly".
You need a competent wheel builder type person detension the wheel and bring it back up to proper EVEN tension.

Pluck the spokes. ALL the spokes on the SAME side should ring the same.
The NDS (non drive side) spokes will have a lower tone than DS.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 08-27-19, 11:21 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
Stop running into curbs. The wheels on a new faux Schwinn are barely up to the task of handling smooth ground much less running into and off curbs.
Likes For Loose Chain:
Old 08-28-19, 10:46 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
There are a few ways a bike rim can go bad: It can be dented from an impact with an object (like a curb), it can go out of true from a heavy blow (like landing badly when dropping off a curb), it can be 'tacoed' (or potato chipped, depending on your preference) when any significant side load is applied (like trying to ride up or down a curb from too shallow an angle), or the spokes can lose tension or break (generally the curb has nothing to do with this, but regular riding on a poorly built wheel will cause its spokes to lose tension and break).

Most of these failures are caused by riding a way in which the wheel was not intended to ride (or is just too poor quality to handle). You have to ask the shop that fixed it what they think the cause was.

NB. Kids are hard on bikes. It's normal, and damaged wheels probably means he is riding the bike hard. You can get a stronger wheel from a bike shop. You know he's getting good use out of the bike so it will not be a waste of money.