Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

How to get 10 posts?

Old 09-02-19, 12:24 PM
SCLee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
How to get 10 posts?

Hi,
I've posted several times but I still only have three posts. I try to give helpful information, but you admin's keep deleting the posts because you determine that it (might) contain a web site link. GIVING A WEB SITE LINK IS HELPFUL TO THE USER!! The user does not need to hunt for it. WHY have the 10 posts rule?

I have attempted to reply at least twice with information on DELTA style trikes. ALL have been deleted. For the record, I have both a delta and a tadpole, but prefer the delta.

Thanks in advance for your reply.
Lee Zeis (SCLee)
Likes For SCLee:
Old 09-02-19, 12:35 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,379 Times in 3,692 Posts
SCLee,

Welcome to Bike Forums. After finding your post I thought I’d take a minute to explain to you why you can’t post a link or picture yet. We are by far the largest bicycle themed forum in the world. And therefore we are a ripe target for spammers to attempt to advertise their wares. In an effort to reduce the amount of spam that we have to deal with we have instituted a number of things.

One of which is withholding new forum members from posting pictures or links until they have made 10 posts. That gives us enough time to sort out most of the spammers from the regular forum members. Another measure we had installed is 5 posts in 24 hours limit to new forum members. Once you get past 10 posts both of those restrictions are automatically removed.

Forums want new threads and posts and welcome new forum members. This may upset some people and they may vent about it. An easy way to get your post count up is to go to our Introductions forum and introduce yourself. Then maybe take a couple of minutes and greet some other new forum members.

Thank you.

cb400bill
Bike Forums Administrator
Likes For cb400bill:
Old 09-02-19, 12:38 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,379 Times in 3,692 Posts
By the way, your post in the Gravel touring on a trike? was not deleted. It was just placed into a Que awaiting moderator approval.
Old 09-02-19, 12:45 PM
SCLee

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
FWIW: Other forums also have restrictions, but are less restrictive. Bentrideronline as an example.

Due to physical issues (leg amputation), I am into trikes (rather than motorcycles). Bike Forums, as the name implies is more focused on BIKEs. Personally, I therefore find most of the content irrelevant to me. Several times I have thought about deleting my Bike Forums shortcut. While I understand your logic, I don't try to put BS and argue with people as many do. I simply try to inform when it is appropriate. Your rules very much limit that ability.
Old 09-02-19, 12:49 PM
SCLee

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Other posts have been removed.

I'm sorry I did not know about the Que. If it is truly a moderator function, perhaps looking at the CONTEXT of the message is more appropriate.

Sorry to argue. Rules are rules and most times are there for a good purpose.
Old 09-02-19, 01:16 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
I do wonder a bit about photo restrictions. For many things like postings in the "Mechanics" subforum or the "Appraisals" subforum, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Are photos being restricted only because the new system treats them as links?

Why not create an exception specifically for: https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikeforums.net-vbulletin?

As far as other links in Newbie posts, I agree that it is an issue. One thing that some posters will do is sign up specifically to push a business. Some are on topic, some are not.

Nonetheless, say there was a question about bike lights. It is generally accepted for respondents to reply with what works for themselves. Including links can be handy.

However, readers don't want self-promotion masquerading as an interested 3rd party respondent.
Old 09-02-19, 01:37 PM
SCLee

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
@CliffordK. Thanks to you and thanks to the admins. It is a tough job, I understand that. One or two of my posts MAY have seemed prejudicial as I prefer DELTA style trikes which apparently, for some unknown reason, are somewhat frowned upon in the trike community. I was very fortunate to have a rehabilitation hospital's Recreational Therapy group with access to many different trikes and a rider to ride with you on the local MUP. Having tried TerraTrike Rover, Rambler, Sun Seeker's EZ3-USX and Tri-classic I found I very much preferred Delta style. Many times trike people do not even mention the two styles to new folks. A friend of a friend has a hand-powered trike (delta) and took me out on some dirt trails. I loved that. I found a used Greenspeed Anura (delta) and bought it. Unfortunately, it has 16" wheels (not 20") so it is not good for dirt bike trails. So I also found a Trident Trike's e-spike (Tadpole) and put dirt bike tires on it. The purpose was to see if I would enjoy dirt trails versus all street riding. I'm 74 years old, retired and hope to stay active even with my limitations. Both of my trikes are considered entry level. I use the Anura for fitness. I use the e-spike for fun! I'm still a newbie, but have come a long way in 6 months.

I do not have ANY affiliation with any company so I see no way that I can be considered a commercial entity.

Thank you for your time. Lee
Old 09-02-19, 02:03 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by SCLee
I prefer DELTA style trikes which apparently, for some unknown reason, are somewhat frowned upon in the trike community.
A topic for a different thread.

But, it is clear that bike needs vary from individual to individual, and many don't like seats that are so low that their butt is just inches above the ground.

I'm sure the topic has come up before with hopefully some open-minded responses.
Old 09-02-19, 05:22 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I do wonder a bit about photo restrictions. For many things like postings in the "Mechanics" subforum or the "Appraisals" subforum, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Are photos being restricted only because the new system treats them as links?

Why not create an exception specifically for: https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikeforums.net-vbulletin?

As far as other links in Newbie posts, I agree that it is an issue. One thing that some posters will do is sign up specifically to push a business. Some are on topic, some are not.

Nonetheless, say there was a question about bike lights. It is generally accepted for respondents to reply with what works for themselves. Including links can be handy.

However, readers don't want self-promotion masquerading as an interested 3rd party respondent.
Please keep in mind that the ibsrv.net...address is for the Bike Forums image server (Internet Brands is ib) and that removing that restriction allows miscreant the ability to upload images etc. to BF in an end around...they could post image spam instead of just text spam and that would not be acceptable.

As it stands there are currently new spammers who post part of some article with no links or context, just a partial sentence or paragraph, no real use but to draw some kind of response. Spam is not always malicious links and such, it can be nonsense.

It is not too hard to participate here for a minimum number of posts and get to know the site. If Anticipation is making you wait, the ketchup will seem much better.
Old 09-02-19, 06:14 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by Rollfast
As it stands there are currently new spammers who post part of some article with no links or context, just a partial sentence or paragraph, no real use but to draw some kind of response. Spam is not always malicious links and such, it can be nonsense.
I've reported a few of those. 1 paragraph of gibberish. Perhaps computer generated.

One tactic is to post a message, then come back in a few weeks and update it after it has fallen off of the front page of recent posts.
Old 09-02-19, 08:16 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2424 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 891 Posts
It's rather easy to get to 10 posts, just go into the introductions forum and greet others.

And FYI, we do have an adaptive cycling section here for those who have physical limitations. https://www.bikeforums.net/adaptive-...t-other-needs/
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 09-02-19, 11:59 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

I call those short incongtruent snippets Jabberwocky.
Old 09-03-19, 02:33 PM
SCLee

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I would have replied earlier but...

Originally Posted by Rollfast
It is not too hard to participate here for a minimum number of posts and get to know the site. If Anticipation is making you wait, the ketchup will seem much better.
I understand the reasons for the rules. I am a newbie to trikes, not to forums. I was participating in knowledge transfer when CompuServe was TEXT only. When you are trying to help someone and make their life easier by providing a link and / or photo, the rule makes it difficult for a person NEW TO THIS forum. Other forums also have restrictions, but the number of posts is less. I don't participate in arguments / differences of opinion. It is not worth my time and text does not change anyone's mind.

@ Siu Blue Wind. Yes the adaptive cycling sub-forum was one of the reasons I signed up. I thought my limited experience might help another newbie. But thank you for mentioning it.

@CliffordK re: Delta trikes, agree different thread, but I'll not start it.

@cb400bill I'm posting several replies in ONE message as I'm not sure where I stand in terms of number of posts. I do know last night I tried to reply to one and got "You are allowed to post 5 posts in 24 hours. Please wit for this amount of time" message. QUESTION: is the 5 messages per 24 hours for everyone or just members with less than 10 posts? Again I understand rules and rules and I do not have the "keys to the castle".

cb400Bill I think almost at 10 posts now. so we will see if I continue here. Trikes are my new interest, not bikes, so my participation and enjoyment may be limited. The forum has subjects of Tandems, Mountain, Folding, Electric and Recumbent all with emphasis on BIKES. I wish it had a TRIKES section. And while we are at it, why not a QUADS section. Just a thought. Thank you for your explanations.
Old 09-03-19, 02:39 PM
CliffordK

You are welcome to suggest a trikes specific subforum. I think they may well be 50/50 in the Recumbent subforum. At least a frequent topic. But, there are also upright trikes. And, of course cargo/utility trikes.

There was someone who recently posted about touring on an E-Trike.

Not that a variety of different uses would necessarily preclude a trike subforum.
Old 09-03-19, 02:55 PM
SCLee

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
There was someone who recently posted about touring on an E-Trike.
Yes. "Gravel Touring on a Trike" and Sandykay22 user. I was trying to include a link for here when this all started! Laughing about it now. FWIW: I just found out today that my new e-trike with suspension may be in next week. Yes, I'm excited.

thanks for the help. Lee
Old 09-04-19, 07:23 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

I've reported a few of those. 1 paragraph of gibberish. Perhaps computer generated.

One tactic is to post a message, then come back in a few weeks and update it after it has fallen off of the front page of recent posts.
I thought that was the one about one bag lady saying something and another one across town responding.
Old 09-04-19, 07:24 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Originally Posted by SCLee
Yes. "Gravel Touring on a Trike" and Sandykay22 user. I was trying to include a link for here when this all started! Laughing about it now. FWIW: I just found out today that my new e-trike with suspension may be in next week. Yes, I'm excited.

thanks for the help. Lee
And...you're in. Whomever Flynn is.