Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Bike Packing bag list?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Bike Packing bag list?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-19, 08:23 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Bike Packing bag list?

Is anyone aware of a list which shows which bike packing frame bags fit which frames? I know that there can't be a list that covers all bikes but some bikes have level top tubes, some angular and some (mine; CO-OP DRT 2.1) have "droopy top tubes. Maybe representative suggestions.

I miss Duane at The Touring Company or Randonneur Shop (???) who always gave great advice.

I can't go to local shops to try fits because most shops around me don't carry them so I'll likely need to order what I want.

Thank you.

Last edited by MAK; 09-29-19 at 08:30 PM.
Old 09-30-19, 07:34 AM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
I'm not aware of one, but most bag manufacturers list their bag dimensions, so I'd measure your frame and compare. I'd also seek out other folks with that bike and see what they are using. I expect that there are too many possible options to maintain a list like that, but a bag doesn't have to exactly fit the dimensions of your frame, either. There's usually a little adjust-ability in what fits. I think the advice is to make sure the bag does not exceed the dimensions of your frame, so it can be fitted tightly. Better a little small in some places than too big. I know I took a bag that was supposed to be sized exactly right for my frame and moved it to a bike that was supposed to have a slightly bigger inner triangle. I can't tell the difference with the bag in place.
Old 09-30-19, 07:56 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
Originally Posted by MAK
I miss Duane at The Touring Company or Randonneur Shop (???) who always gave great advice.
Are you referring to Wayne, formerly of thetouringstore.com?
Old 09-30-19, 02:16 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
I have a frame bag that fits one of my bikes quite well when I have a tall water bottle in the cage attached to my seat tube. No generic list of bags would list which ones would fit well with one bottle inside the triangle.

If nobody makes what you want, you might need to get creative and make your own.
DIY / Make Your Own Gear (MYOG)
Old 09-30-19, 05:01 PM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
I use Rockgeist. The will make the bags for your bike
Old 09-30-19, 09:03 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Are you referring to Wayne, formerly of thetouringstore.com?
Absolutely. I stand corrected.