Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Oakley Radars...worth it?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 01-31-09, 05:28 AM
Effecient

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok i have done a search on this, however other posts havn't satisfied me. So

1. Are they worth it? I tried them on in shop and damn do they fit sweet

2. What lens for cycling? Aparently the 'pros' use Positive Red Polarised https://oakley.com/visionaries but a lot of people say polarised is over kill and just get non-polarised. By the way i live in Perth, very sunny Perth.

3. wtf is Iridium? Better question: What does it do in terms of making the lenses 'better'?

Cheers
Old 01-31-09, 07:05 AM
aham23
grilled cheesus

Bikes: 2010 CAAD9 Custom, 06 Giant TCR C2 & 05 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Yes, but buy them off eBay for a fraction of retail. Later.
Old 01-31-09, 07:07 AM
Blacklab78

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
worth it - yes!

if your face is the right shape i'd buy the new photochromatic path / pitch lenses. they adjust according to brightness. they just dont make them in the range shape yet. best lenses for riding in all conditions from bright sunny to overcast under trees etc.

polarised is only much better when snow/water come into the mix.

i have silver iridium's and g26's (green tint). Iridium is the coating they put on the lenses - it also supposedly makes vision clearer whilst also resisting scratches.
Old 01-31-09, 07:16 AM
hyunelan2
Pedal turner

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Pro (Carbon), Specialized Langster, Specialized Sequoia, No-name MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've always liked Oakley, and have had many pairs over the last 15ish years. Currently for cycling, I wear a pair of Pro M-Frame "Sweep" glasses, with Black Iridium lenses. However, I did recently get a pair of Tifosi Ventoux glasses (come with 3 interchangable lenses), and for the price (half of Oakley), I'm just as impressed with them.

I guess you can't go wrong with Oakley, but you can probably get similar results for less money.
Old 01-31-09, 07:31 AM
Walter
SLJ 6/8/65-5/2/07

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Effecient
2. What lens for cycling? Aparently the 'pros' use Positive Red Polarised https://oakley.com/visionaries but a lot of people say polarised is over kill and just get non-polarised. By the way i live in Perth, very sunny Perth.

Cheers
Alot of people are wrong. My knock on cycling "fashion" shades like Oakley has long been that they're not polarized. If you can get a polarized lens and are happy with everything else about the glasses then you don't really need to be asking a forum, do you?

"By the way i live in Perth, very sunny Perth."

Repeated for emphasis. Get the polarized lenses.

Old 01-31-09, 08:05 AM
jesspal

Bikes: 2009 BMC SLX01/2016 Santa Cruz Bronson

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
What is the advantage of polarized a polarized lens for cycling? If conditions are wet I could see them being useful for cutting down glare off the road. I live in FL and use Polarized lenses a lot for fishing and stuff but when I got some free glasses that were not polarized I used them for cycling and they work quite well. Now if I were buying the glasses I'd buy polarized because they would be multi-use i.e. fishing/biking.
Old 01-31-09, 08:14 AM
Walter
SLJ 6/8/65-5/2/07

Originally Posted by jesspal
What is the advantage of polarized a polarized lens for cycling? If conditions are wet I could see them being useful for cutting down glare off the road. I live in FL and use Polarized lenses a lot for fishing and stuff but when I got some free glasses that were not polarized I used them for cycling and they work quite well. Now if I were buying the glasses I'd buy polarized because they would be multi-use i.e. fishing/biking.
That's definitely part of it. As a fellow and life-long Floridian I find that glare is a constant and my Rx shades are on my face an awful lot. Considering how the OP describes Perth I'd imagine that things are similar there.

I'm with you on the value of free shades but Oakleys are anything but free. I never understood the price of cycling specific non-polarized shades. Since Oakley is offering a polarized lens I can think of no reason not to take that option. I know of no down-side to polarization.

Old 01-31-09, 08:18 AM
TheStott
Cross-Chainer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Radars are not for me, but I've got a bunch of other Oakleys. Check out the lenses that are "hydrophobic". They shed water without streaking, etc. That includes sweat, fog, rain, whatever...
Old 01-31-09, 08:23 AM
Polymer Head

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fit was my priority and the Radars were the best out of a long list that included the usual (Rudy Project, Wiley, Adidas, Nike etc).

Yes, worth it for me.
Old 01-31-09, 08:26 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
My cycling Oakleys have Transitions lenses. They work in any light conditions. Because I often have low-light and bright sunlight on the same ride, plus dense forest and clear open country, no single-opacity lens really works very well. I don't know anybody who wants to stop and change lenses as light conditions change. The Transitions lenses react so rapidly that riding from bright light into shade is not a problem. Vision remains pretty constant. GREAT cycling lenses.
Old 01-31-09, 08:52 AM
lowrights

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the Radar Range in a G20 lens which is on the transmits a fair amount of light. Great fit and function - the one disappointment for me is that there is substantial salt buildup on the inside of the lens from sweat evaporation - the water may bead up and evaporate, but the salt stays behind and impacts vision after a while.
Old 01-31-09, 08:56 AM
jesspal

Bikes: 2009 BMC SLX01/2016 Santa Cruz Bronson

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by lowrights
I have the Radar Range in a G20 lens which is on the transmits a fair amount of light. Great fit and function - the one disappointment for me is that there is substantial salt buildup on the inside of the lens from sweat evaporation - the water may bead up and evaporate, but the salt stays behind and impacts vision after a while.
I always keep a small lens cleaner in my jersey pocket for situations like this. It has paid off on several occasions, whether rain or sweat. I am fanatical about having clean lenses. Probably because my dad is an optician.
Old 01-31-09, 08:59 AM
Cateye

Bikes: Orbea

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They are sweet shades............worth the money retail......Nope.
Old 01-31-09, 09:16 AM
Nate552

Bikes: Orbea Orca Trek 5500 Trek Equinox

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hyunelan2
I've always liked Oakley, and have had many pairs over the last 15ish years. Currently for cycling, I wear a pair of Pro M-Frame "Sweep" glasses, with Black Iridium lenses.
Same here. I'm an Oakley fan, I've ridden with Race Jackets, Zero's, and M-frames. Been thinking about Radars, but there is nothing wrong with my current glasses.
Old 01-31-09, 12:04 PM
dragonian

Bikes: 2008 Orbea Orca w/ SRAM Red

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
fyi, chainlove had a pair of radar range that i picked up.. great deal. I haven't seen them since.. but might be worth keeping an eye out for. Especially now that we have bonktown also.
Old 01-31-09, 12:20 PM
Floob
Cheese, anyone?

Bikes: 2008 Giant TCR A1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got a pair of Radar Paths. They're pretty sweet.
Old 01-31-09, 01:00 PM
s4one

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Worth it!! I use a Radar Path but am about to pick up a set of M Pro frames.
Old 01-31-09, 01:37 PM
x10dedl1fe

Bikes: 1996 Cannondale Criterium, 2008 Bianchi Via Nirone Ultegra/105

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aham23
yes, but buy them off ebay for a fraction of retail. Later.
+1
Old 01-31-09, 03:16 PM
kwrides

Bikes: 2007 Orbea Onix, 2007 Windsor The Hour, 2008 Kona Jake

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Walter
That's definitely part of it. As a fellow and life-long Floridian I find that glare is a constant and my Rx shades are on my face an awful lot. Considering how the OP describes Perth I'd imagine that things are similar there.

I'm with you on the value of free shades but Oakleys are anything but free. I never understood the price of cycling specific non-polarized shades. Since Oakley is offering a polarized lens I can think of no reason not to take that option.
I know of no down-side to polarization.

The downside to polarization is that it makes it tough or impossible to see liquid crystal displays on computers, dashboards, etc.

I like Polarized lenses, and the pluses sometimes far outweigh the negatives, but there is at least this 1 downside.

Last edited by kwrides; 01-31-09 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-31-09, 04:04 PM
wfrogge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went back to my M frames.
Old 01-31-09, 06:16 PM
fauxto nick
Cat 3 Meter - Don't Care

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just threw some fire-iridium lenses in my M frames and am loving it. The iridium is supposedly a finishing process that helps with detail in shadows and contrast.
Old 01-31-09, 06:49 PM
Cue
Banned.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by wfrogge
I went back to my M frames.
Me too.
Old 01-31-09, 07:49 PM
Walter
SLJ 6/8/65-5/2/07

Originally Posted by kwrides
The downside to polarization is that it makes it tough or impossible to see liquid crystal displays on computers, dashboards, etc.

I like Polarized lenses, and the pluses sometimes far outweigh the negatives, but there is at least this 1 downside.

I've heard others say that. I haven't really noticed that. I do have a Garmin on my bike.

If you and others experience this then yes, I'd have to agree that there is a downside. I wonder if it's my eyes?

Old 01-31-09, 08:26 PM
Corsaire
Dancing on the Pedals

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They're awesome...if they fit you. I guess I have a face a tad smaller than average so it kind of look too big for my face.
Old 01-31-09, 08:29 PM
haimtoeg
Magnesium Dogmatic

Bikes: Look 585 Ultra, Pinarello Dogma, Pegoretti Duende, Orbea, Cannondale Capo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like my Radar, they fit my face well and the lenses provide good coverage. I use the polarized black iridium lenses most of the time and transition lenses for lower light conditions.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.