Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Did you ride today?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Did you ride today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-09, 12:59 PM
kenkayak

Bikes: Trek 7300/cannondale mountain bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
teasin ya red RIDER /WIFE LINDA HAD TWICE THE STAYING power and twice the focus I ever had Im just a bit proud of my self theese days.//Kenneth
Old 07-31-09, 01:17 PM
Mojo Slim
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
My group did a nice 40 miler. The "Tweeners" broke off after our coffee break and did a little extra climbing. We all ended up back home at the same time.

'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 07-31-09, 01:18 PM
kenkayak

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
My Ride today /////I took The dog for its first ride in the Trailer the whole 25 miles It was bedlam at every turn; but my ability to pump the hills seemed undiminished a real plus ///;Im thinking it may help my training because with dog in the trailer I approch the hills slower ////SO///more power pedaling Im really happy with the trailer./Kenneth
Old 07-31-09, 01:28 PM
kenkayak

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Im thinking of trying some roadside camping[Idont like to camp but money is tight ]ID like some input from folks who may use one of the new camping hammocks Thanks //Kenneth
Old 07-31-09, 03:56 PM
BikeWNC
Climbing Above It All

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I finally got out for a short ride up on the BRP today after the weather cleared. I took my Indy Fab Ti bike out and I remembered why I like that bike. It might be the best bike I've ever ridden for spinning up a hill. Maybe it's not the best sprinter or best out of the saddle on the steeps but for sitting in it's just great. At least until I noticed the cassette lockring was loose and I had to ride back to the car. I think I'll take the bike for a nice long ride in the morning, weather permitting.
Old 08-01-09, 11:03 AM
kenkayak

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I took the dog[linda's] in the trailer aGAIN.; I may be creating a monster she seems to be having a great time and seems to like it when I go fast///pulls on her harness like she wants to go faster///another woman for ya!!!/Kenneth
Old 08-01-09, 11:58 AM
wrafl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What a terrible way to end July. I did only 84 miles for all of last week. 2 flats in 2 days on the same tire. Never had that happen before. Would have been second week I would have 150 + week and over 500 miles for the month. Now I have to go back to the LBS and let them find the cause of the 2 flats. I suspect it might be burrs from the rim or spokes. I asked the service guy for a new tire when I walked in for the first flat but told me the tires has plenty of miles left so I heeded the advise. Congratulations to all for those who racked up the mileage for July.
Old 08-01-09, 12:19 PM
BikeWNC
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife left me today without keys to the cars so I did a ride from the house. I felt great the first hour then I suffered up the main part of the climb. Just didn't have the legs today. 41 miles total with 4600' of climbing in 3:06 ride time. Beautiful day for a ride.
Old 08-01-09, 04:04 PM
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Today was a club ride - turned out to be a metric.
This was the B group - I feel very comfortable at thier pace and can usually stay with the leaders. Same for today but still felt pretty tired at the end. We'll see what I feel like for tomorrow.
Old 08-01-09, 04:15 PM
Allegheny Jet

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I rode in a crit in Akron today. It was a first year event. I raced in the Cat4/5 race and finished up somewhere between 6th to 8th in the field sprint. Was a nice course that went through a business district and an area of new homes and apartments. Two thirds of each lap were down hill then we went back up hill for the rest of the lap. The race was 40 minutes + 3 laps. Our average speed was 24.1 mph. I was wearing a little fatigue from riding 340 miles across PA eariler in the week.
Old 08-01-09, 04:21 PM
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
AJ,
Great job
I can't imagine averaging 24.1mph.
Old 08-01-09, 04:23 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeWNC
My wife left me today .
We all feel your pain but bicycling will help you cope.

I rode 60 miles on a club ride today. Averaged in the mid-20's.........on the downhills.
Old 08-01-09, 04:24 PM
kr32

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did 37.12 with a avg of 18.3.
I wanted to ride on 2 day old asphalt I see on my ride into work everyday. I was butter smooth! Very nice ride but a little hot what with the sun beating down on it. It was only about 3 miles long with a nice section that was downhill. I was going to turn around and climb back up but at last moment turned left and went another direction instead, glad I did as I enjoyed the extra didtance I got.
Old 08-01-09, 04:31 PM
BikeWNC
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
We all feel your pain but bicycling will help you cope.

I rode 60 miles on a club ride today. Averaged in the mid-20's.........on the downhills.
LOL. Yeah, I read what I wrote and laughed. She took the kid over to Dollywood in Pigeon Forge today but one car had a very dead battery and I couldn't find the keys to the other.

At the top of my climb, I was interviewed by a Florida woman for an online magazine. She couldn't believe people ride up the mountain from town, and she was especially surprised I was over 50. LOL. Maybe she'll get out and ride it next time she visits.
Old 08-01-09, 04:37 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeWNC
LOL. Yeah, I read what I wrote and laughed. She took the kid over to Dollywood in Pigeon Forge today but one car had a very dead battery and I couldn't find the keys to the other.

At the top of my climb, I was interviewed by a Florida woman for an online magazine. She couldn't believe people ride up the mountain from town, and she was especially surprised I was over 50. LOL. Maybe she'll get out and ride it next time she visits.
Highway overpasses are considered hills in Florida.
Old 08-01-09, 05:01 PM
Allegheny Jet

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cyclinfool
AJ,
Great job
I can't imagine averaging 24.1mph.
The part I can't imagine is going through 90 degree turns at 35+ mph! We went down a 6 lane wide hill then made a right onto a 5 lane road that still was downhill. I was letting a little gap open up through the turn early in the race and had to work hard to close the gap when I needed to be soft pedaling. As the race progressed I figured it out and got to the point where I was in my 50/12 and pushing pedal into and through the turn.
Old 08-01-09, 05:28 PM
Ames

Bikes: 1980 Motobacane Team Champion 2008 Gary Fisher Hi Fi 2009 Madone 6.9

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ride with a bunch of youngsters under 35 on my group rides from the LBS. Today was 55 miles at 100 degrees and an average speed of 20 for the first half till one of the kids blew up as his leads were at 23. Can not blame him because it was his first ride on a new Madone. Overall was 18 mph.

I am 64 and back on the bike after 20 plus years so am still getting fit. Need help on the new fuels IE: gel packs and so on and how often to eat them.
Old 08-01-09, 05:46 PM
BikeWNC
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
The part I can't imagine is going through 90 degree turns at 35+ mph! We went down a 6 lane wide hill then made a right onto a 5 lane road that still was downhill. I was letting a little gap open up through the turn early in the race and had to work hard to close the gap when I needed to be soft pedaling. As the race progressed I figured it out and got to the point where I was in my 50/12 and pushing pedal into and through the turn.
A couple years ago when I was using a coach I had the fitness to hang on those type of rides. What I never had and probably never will, is the ability to let the bike go through the corners. So I would get gapped at every turn and would shy away from tight quarters. Because I didn't want to piss off the other riders I had to ride at the rear of the pack. Eventually the rubberband would break and I would get dropped. Even today I habitually brake before every corner. If I can't see through it I slow down. Ya can't race like that. I've had a couple good wrecks over the years and I have made the conscience decision that there is never a good reason to lay the bike down. It was frustrating when I used to outclimb guys only to have them blast by me on the descents. It's all a trade off I suppose. My family can't afford for me to be laid up.
Old 08-01-09, 05:50 PM
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ames
Ride with a bunch of youngsters under 35 on my group rides from the LBS. Today was 55 miles at 100 degrees and an average speed of 20 for the first half till one of the kids blew up as his leads were at 23. Can not blame him because it was his first ride on a new Madone. Overall was 18 mph.

I am 64 and back on the bike after 20 plus years so am still getting fit. Need help on the new fuels IE: gel packs and so on and how often to eat them.
Our metric pack only averaged 17.5 today - 18 is pretty good!
As far as intake - it depends a lot on the ride. On the metric today we had a stop at mile 32, I took in a gel and a 120cal trail mix bar (total 220 cal), finished what was left of my large bottle of gatoraide and mixed up another for the remainder of the ride. This really isn't enough - 300 cal/hr for a long ride is a good rule of thumb. I usually won't bonk on a metric so I don't worry about it too much but when I ride a longer ride I try to follow the 300cal/hr rule - eating every hour. Other things to note - gels will give you a little kick right away but thier real value is about 30 minutes after you take them, so if you have a big climb coming up, consume your fuel 5 miles before.

55 miles, 100 degrees, returning cyclist age 64, 18mph average, wow - you got good fast!
Old 08-01-09, 08:51 PM
Cornflakes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The family has gone to the inlaws, so I decided to tackle a century. win / win. Did 109.8 miles. I have not check the computer for duration yet, around 7 1/2 hours.

Last edited by Cornflakes; 08-02-09 at 08:55 AM.
Old 08-01-09, 11:00 PM
cranky old dude

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
08/01/2009.....Only 102 miles here.

I'll post a thread with pics tomorrow.
Old 08-02-09, 08:43 AM
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Got in 24 miles this AM before the rain comes. Mostly a Z1 Z2 recovery ride - just love pop'n those lipids.
Old 08-02-09, 10:38 AM
kjc9640
Slo Spoke Jim

Bikes: 1982 Raleigh road bike & love it

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sunday 8/02/09... Temp 89 feels like 98 and humidity 59%. Did a hot 45.19 today. Wind factor 9mph from the south west.

No matter who you are or how far/fast you ride HYDRATE... HYDRATE... HYDRATE...

Todays distance 45.19 (s)miles
Total distance this mo. 45.19 (s)miles
Total distance this yr. 3,791.70 (s)miles

Congratulations Lance Armstrong... Great finish @ TdF
Go Team Radio Shack 2010
Old 08-02-09, 11:21 AM
cranky old dude

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rode 5 miles into work in the pre-dawn rain, 20 mph headwinds.

Reminded me of winter commuting.....glistening spots on my glasses as I rode beneith the street lights, wind whistling through my helmet and around my ears, and the sound of my tires rolling on the wet blacktop splashing through the occasional puddle...of course it was much warmer than the winter commutes. Sigh......

Last edited by cranky old dude; 08-02-09 at 11:25 AM.
Old 08-02-09, 12:12 PM
wrafl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did 42 miles this morning on the Dahon folder. I still need to get the flat repaired on my main bike, '94 Trek 700. LBS is way too busy with cusotmers on most weekends so I might just sneak in tomorrow as soon as they open at 10:00AM. I might as well check out the '10 models as well as '09 clearances for a third bike. 2 bike for me seems not enough. Perhaps a road bike this time. I know most of you guys keep more than 3.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.