Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help Dating Motobecane Grand Touring

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 09-06-10, 04:26 PM
MLyon18

Bikes: '72 International Bicycle Corp, '71 Schwinn Varsity, '81 Peugeot PFN10, '76 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, '58 Raleigh Robin Hood Sport, '66 Schwinn Staret III, '81 Bianchi Super Sport mixte, '72 Moto Grand Touring, '86 Univega Maxima Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

https://i480.photobucket.com/albums/r...DSC01622-1.jpg

https://i480.photobucket.com/albums/r...DSC01623-1.jpg

Just finished restoring this 10-speed Motobecane Grand Touring. I think it's a 1972 model or near around there. Any input you might have will be welcomed. The bike has been well taken care of, stored inside, and only required a deep cleaning and re-greasing. The frame is high tinsel 1020 steel tubing, lugged and brazed, and comes in at 28 lbs. Here are the components that lead me to think it's around 1972.

Stronglight BB and crankset
Stronglight Competition headset
Pivo bars and stem
Weinmann 610 center pull brakes
Weinmann 27-inch rims
Normandy high flange hubs
Huret front derailleur
Huret Alvit rear derailleur (this is the same derailleur Schwinn put on their '71-'72 Varsity, and probably other models only stamped as "Schwinn Approved"
Huret friction shifters

Only two things I've found on the bike are Japanese. First it has a Suntour freewheel although it's not stamped "Suntour." The markings on it are "8*8*8 Perfect, Madea Industries, and the letter M. I'm guessing it is original and possibly made for Motobecane without the "Suntour" stamping? Secondly, while the brake levers are Weinmann the suicide levers are Dia Compe. So perhaps these were added after the fact? Just a guess now days. And by the way - It rolls quite nicely!
Old 09-06-10, 04:57 PM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Check the Normandy hub for a 2-place date - the 70's hubs had this code, earlier hubs were not dated.

Beautiful bike MLyon18 ! ! Great Job ! !
Old 09-06-10, 05:49 PM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 662 Times in 311 Posts
I would agree with your estimate of 72-73. I had a turquoise GT equipped as yours. The Wienmann levers were original as were the brakes. I had the RD replaced with a Suntour V-GT Luxe and the turkey wings removed. Wish I had not sold it.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 09-06-10, 08:39 PM
MLyon18

Bikes: '72 International Bicycle Corp, '71 Schwinn Varsity, '81 Peugeot PFN10, '76 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, '58 Raleigh Robin Hood Sport, '66 Schwinn Staret III, '81 Bianchi Super Sport mixte, '72 Moto Grand Touring, '86 Univega Maxima Sport

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
I'll take at look at the Normandy hubs for date codes. I think I'll keep this one in the stable and ride it for a while. I like the fit and geometry for cruising' into the office. The Huret shifters / derailleur have a huge amount of throw in them but no problem lining up the chain and getting in gear. For an early '70's bike it is quite nice. No problems here.
Old 09-07-10, 01:04 AM
dbarnblatt@usa.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The decal on the headtube is a clear indicator that it is early '70's. Might even be a '71 or so. My '72 Le Champion has a plastic headbadge and earlier models had the decal that your bike has. Very clean and nice... great job.