Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Skip, you are the man!

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Skip, you are the man!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-12, 02:55 PM
chewybrian 
"Florida Man"

Bikes: '16 Bob Jackson rando, '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 1,707 Times in 856 Posts
Skip, you are the man!

I met Skip Beeler a couple years ago at a brevet ride. We both rode a 1000k ride around Florida. I spent half of one day riding in a small group with him, and had a great time. He rode a recumbent at a modest pace with a goal of simply having fun and finishing; I assume he did both. His latest actions as Cocoa Beach mayor move him up to near hero status in my eyes. He has the power to make a positive impact for other cyclists, and he's using it!

He's proposed new regulations to tack on extra fines for 'motorists' who hassle cyclists. The rules target people throwing objects, attempting to distract or scare the cyclists (the horn blowers), or failing to give them adequate room on the road (Florida has a 'pass by 3 feet' law). Other council members expanded the law to cover pedestrians, and rightly so.

I would love to see one of these tickets given in person some day. It would be difficult to enforce, as police would need to witness the act, which would be unlikely to happen in their presence in most cases. Still, putting the law on the books makes me happy. Thumbs up, mayor!

link to article
Old 09-12-12, 03:02 PM
myrridin
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Considering my experience in Texas, I would love to see such laws include in their language any other road users--including cyclists. I really don't see any reason such behavior should be condoned for cyclists...
Old 09-12-12, 03:30 PM
chewybrian 
"Florida Man"

Bikes: '16 Bob Jackson rando, '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 1,707 Times in 856 Posts
Originally Posted by myrridin
Considering my experience in Texas, I would love to see such laws include in their language any other road users--including cyclists. I really don't see any reason such behavior should be condoned for cyclists...
Hmmm... This side of the argument never occured to me. I've see some dumb and/or inconsiderate riding, but I've never been intentionally threatened, run off the road, or had things thrown at me by other cyclists.

I've had all this and more come my way from drivers. The worst I can recall was a guy leaning out the passenger window of a pickup truck with a hammer. I don't know his intention, but the results could have been ugly for me if he swung the hammer at me or the bike. I saw him coming in my mirror, and held my path until they got close and then rode off the shoulder into the grass; they did not come back. The every day honks and shouts and a few gatorade bottles and beer cans have come at me many times, although I agree with the article that *most* drivers are very respectful.

Last edited by chewybrian; 09-12-12 at 03:33 PM.