Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Convert SIS 7-speed to 105?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-15, 01:39 PM
ayyfour

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey All,

New to the forums here. A couple years ago (while on a budget) I bought a bikes direct bike. It's a Mericer Galaxy which has some cheaper components (I know, I know) and I have made a few upgrades such as seat and tires. My one friend recently cracked a frame on a road bike with shimano 105 components and I was wondering if (and how easy) I could swap out the 7 speed with his 105 cassette, crank, and brake parts. If not, I also do have his old wheels with the 105 rear cassette still attached. Is it possible to throw my 7 speed cassette on without worry? Or should I just purchase a new frame and fork and add his old components? He is giving me a very good deal on old parts and it would be a great deal if I can swap.
Old 03-08-15, 02:19 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,359 Times in 865 Posts
7 speed is antique ,, now its all 8 speed .. Lose the Indexing for shifting and all is compatible ..

FYI its Chinese .. Mercier is the name of a dead French brand .. they co-opt a lot of old brand names at BD.

Last edited by fietsbob; 03-09-15 at 09:44 AM.
Old 03-08-15, 02:23 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12937 Post(s)
Liked 7,851 Times in 4,171 Posts
Originally Posted by ayyfour
Hey All,

New to the forums here. A couple years ago (while on a budget) I bought a bikes direct bike. It's a Mericer Galaxy which has some cheaper components (I know, I know) and I have made a few upgrades such as seat and tires. My one friend recently cracked a frame on a road bike with shimano 105 components and I was wondering if (and how easy) I could swap out the 7 speed with his 105 cassette, crank, and brake parts. If not, I also do have his old wheels with the 105 rear cassette still attached. Is it possible to throw my 7 speed cassette on without worry? Or should I just purchase a new frame and fork and add his old components? He is giving me a very good deal on old parts and it would be a great deal if I can swap.
You'll likely have to swap the bottom bracket over to go with the crankset. Hopefully his BB isn't one of those pressfit deals.

Can you get the shifters off of him too? I'd do that.

If not, the 7-speed cassette should go on, would probably need a spacer (there might be one on the Galaxy already).
Old 03-08-15, 03:02 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1816 Post(s)
Liked 1,304 Times in 898 Posts
Are both rears spaced the same.
Old 03-08-15, 03:09 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4234 Post(s)
Liked 3,954 Times in 2,353 Posts
Cassette, cranks/BB, ders (both), shifters and chain should all be swapped out at the same time. Brakes are less a concern as to compatibility (assuming the two bikes used the same reach). Andy.
Old 03-08-15, 03:11 PM
RoadGuy

Bikes: 89 Schwinn 754, 90 Trek 1100, 93 Trek 2300, 94 Trek 1400 (under construction), 94 Trek 930, 97 Trek 1400

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
How many speeds is your Mericer Galaxy?

You really haven't given enough information to compare and see if the parts from your friend's old bike will go you your bike.

Is your friend's bike have all 105 components? Does it have dual pivot brakes? Does your friend's bike have STI shifters?

Does your's have STI shifters? How many speeds is your bike?
Old 03-08-15, 08:37 PM
ayyfour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadGuy
How many speeds is your Mericer Galaxy?

You really haven't given enough information to compare and see if the parts from your friend's old bike will go you your bike.

Is your friend's bike have all 105 components? Does it have dual pivot brakes? Does your friend's bike have STI shifters?

Does your's have STI shifters? How many speeds is your bike?

My bike is a shimano Index system 7 speed, friends bike has dual pivot brakes as well as 105 shifters, cogs, etc. His whole bike is 105 components which I would prefer to swap out all my equipment with as far as shifters, chain, derailuer, etc with.
Old 03-08-15, 08:51 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 293 Times in 216 Posts
His cassette, chain, and shift lever need to be kept together. They will not work with your 7 speed unless he has a very old 105 equipped bike.
But his cassette also might not fit on your wheel, depending on how wide your cassette body is - I believe many modern 7 speed bikes are built on 8 -10 speed compatible wheels with a spacer behind the cassette, so his cassette might fit on your wheel.
Old 03-08-15, 08:58 PM
SkyDog75

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
If you want to upgrade your bike to 10-speed using his parts, you can probably do it, but you may be in for pretty much a complete swap:

• His crankset and bottom bracket (assuming both frames use the same BB type).
  • His shifters.
  • His cassette.
  • His rear wheel (because a 10-speed cassette may not fit on your freehub).
  • Your derailleurs may work satisfactorily, but I'd go with his to be on the safe side. They'll have the same cable pull ratio, but yours are designed for a slightly wider chain.
  • Brakes from either bike would probably work.

Now if you wanted to keep your bike as a 7-speed, there may only be a few parts you can transfer.
  • You can probably use his wheels. As noted above, you'd need a spacer behind your cassette for it to fit properly on a 10-speed hub.
  • You wouldn't want his crankset or derailleurs since they're designed for a narrower 10-speed chain.
  • You wouldn't want his shifters since they're 10-speed and wouldn't work with a 7-speed cassette.
Old 03-09-15, 09:07 AM
ayyfour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SkyDog75
If you want to upgrade your bike to 10-speed using his parts, you can probably do it, but you may be in for pretty much a complete swap:

• His crankset and bottom bracket (assuming both frames use the same BB type).
  • His shifters.
  • His cassette.
  • His rear wheel (because a 10-speed cassette may not fit on your freehub).
  • Your derailleurs may work satisfactorily, but I'd go with his to be on the safe side. They'll have the same cable pull ratio, but yours are designed for a slightly wider chain.
  • Brakes from either bike would probably work.

Now if you wanted to keep your bike as a 7-speed, there may only be a few parts you can transfer.
  • You can probably use his wheels. As noted above, you'd need a spacer behind your cassette for it to fit properly on a 10-speed hub.
  • You wouldn't want his crankset or derailleurs since they're designed for a narrower 10-speed chain.
  • You wouldn't want his shifters since they're 10-speed and wouldn't work with a 7-speed cassette.
Thanks for the update. Exactly what I was looking for. I have all parts to do a complete swap including wheels, bars, etc. I think I will go that route.. sure would beat buying a whole new bike with 105 when I can upgrade everything on my own!
Old 03-18-15, 09:10 AM
ayyfour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey All,

Thanks for the help. I ended up just swapping over the wheels with my friend's set and got a cassette installed with spacers at my local bike shop. Also checked out one of the newer Giant Defy 5 (2015 version) with Shimano Claris. They adjusted my gears and brakes as well as the wheels themselves after the new cassette and the bike rides like a dream. I may end up selling on Craigslist as it does have some upgraded parts and buying the giant for $650 from the LBS.