Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Help me decide: Tyrell IVE sport vs Birdy vs Tern P10

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Help me decide: Tyrell IVE sport vs Birdy vs Tern P10

Old 07-29-20, 07:38 AM
Kabuto

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by tomtomtom123
14 gear inches is low, but not that low.

When I did a tour in the past, that bike had I think 18-96 gear inches. 18 gear inches was usually sufficient except on really steep inclines where I would just walk and push.

26 gear inches isn't that low. to me. I would go lower.
14 gear inches seems super low. I've read about guys doing world tours fully loaded that use a minimum of around 18 gear inches, so 14 is... wow.

How much weight do you carry when you ride? I think that's the critical thing here.

Low to mid 20s is quite ok if you only carry minimal gear, but I can understand wanting a lower gear if you carry more.
Old 07-29-20, 08:35 AM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
I don't think it's a question of too much weight, although the maximum I would carry is maybe 18-20kg if you include the weight of the bags. I prefer to pedal over 76rpm because it doesn't feel comfortable below this number, and my cranks are shorter than average, at 165mm. I remember seeing touring articles claiming to go up steep inclines at minimum 60rpm, but that would be very uncomfortable for me. So let's say 60/76x18 = 14.2 gear inches.
Old 03-28-21, 03:16 AM
intrigate

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I want to do the same, replace the shorter 290mm handlepost with the 350mm one on a Verge P10 and I found this post. Any drawbacks you experienced in terms of bike's stability, safety and folding?
Thank you!

Originally Posted by Kabuto

I have a Tern X11, which I believe has the same frame as the P10. Its a great bike and I've had zero problems with it. For more handlebar height, I swapped out the 290mm handlepost for a 350mm handlepost (purchased through the Tern online store based in Taiwan - wasn't cheap, but wasn't Birdy expensive either). Its also possible to adjust the Syntace stem to move the handlebar forward or backward to match your desired position. I'd steer clear of any electric motor Terns, but the P10 will be fine.
Old 03-28-21, 03:39 AM
Kabuto

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by intrigate
I want to do the same, replace the shorter 290mm handlepost with the 350mm one on a Verge P10 and I found this post. Any drawbacks you experienced in terms of bike's stability, safety and folding?
Thank you!
The 350mm handlepost has been great for me. The brake/gear cables were very generously long with the 290mm handlepost, so there was no issues at all with cable length when I swapped to the 350mm handlepost. As for stability and safety, its not a major change as you're only raising the handlebars 6cm, not changing the bike geometry. I've done some pretty fast mountain descents with the bike, and handling has been absolutely fine. With folding, I needed to tweak the angle of the Syntace stem slightly so that the handlebar grip rested against the fork when folded, instead of the gear shifter, but depending on how your bike is set up, you could easily have that happen with a 290mm handlepost, so that's not an issue unique to having a longer handlepost. Overall its been a great mod for me.
Old 03-28-21, 04:22 AM
intrigate

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for taking the time to reply! This is great, I'll get to it right away

Originally Posted by Kabuto
The 350mm handlepost has been great for me. The brake/gear cables were very generously long with the 290mm handlepost, so there was no issues at all with cable length when I swapped to the 350mm handlepost. As for stability and safety, its not a major change as you're only raising the handlebars 6cm, not changing the bike geometry. I've done some pretty fast mountain descents with the bike, and handling has been absolutely fine. With folding, I needed to tweak the angle of the Syntace stem slightly so that the handlebar grip rested against the fork when folded, instead of the gear shifter, but depending on how your bike is set up, you could easily have that happen with a 290mm handlepost, so that's not an issue unique to having a longer handlepost. Overall its been a great mod for me.