Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Who rides with their jersey's undone/fluttering in the wind?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Who rides with their jersey's undone/fluttering in the wind?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-20, 07:42 AM
clongwill
ChristopherL

Bikes: '62 Peugeot PA 10, '73 Peugeot UO8, '74 Peugeot UE8 (converted to UO8 look alike), '75 Peugeot UO8, Peugeot Ventoux PH501, '7? Sekine SHS 271, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '86 Centurion Elite RS, '87 Centurion Ironman Master

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
My T shirt doesn't have a zipper. ? ? ?
Old 08-18-20, 07:59 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Repeating earlier posts, I don't like the jersey totally unzipped flapping in the winds ... my phone lives in a jersey pocket. But I'll open up most of they way down on hot days. I like to wear a wicking base layer that give a little modesty, and really helps on the hottest days.

Cause I love to post pics (& stroking my own ego) ... here's a pic from check point 2 (mile 120) on the 2019 DAMn. We had temps over 90*F with corn sweat humidity. I opened up the jersey, but never flapping in the wind.

Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 08-18-20, 08:09 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
Repeating earlier posts, I don't like the jersey totally unzipped flapping in the winds ... my phone lives in a jersey pocket. But I'll open up most of they way down on hot days. I like to wear a wicking base layer that give a little modesty, and really helps on the hottest days.

Cause I love to post pics (& stroking my own ego) ... here's a pic from check point 2 (mile 120) on the 2019 DAMn. We had temps over 90*F with corn sweat humidity. I opened up the jersey, but never flapping in the wind.
One of these years, I'll do the DaMN; with my saddle time increasing, it's starting to sound only mildly stupid instead of wholly stupid.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-18-20, 08:20 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Originally Posted by WhyFi
One of these years, I'll do the DaMN; with my saddle time increasing, it's starting to sound only mildly stupid instead of wholly stupid.
LOL! I've completed it twice and I still think it's wholly stupid! It is the most demanding ride I've ever done, totally type II fun (maybe type III). Totally worth the effort, it feels so good to complete.

I skipped this year because of COVID19 and protecting my support driver (AKA wife) from exposure. Those that rode this year had *the best* weather, I'm so so so jealous! Club-mate* (Birchwood) was first place at just over 12 hours - averaging 20 mph over 240 miles of gravel roads?!?!

I'm already registered for next year (rolled over) and already making plans for my 2021 Day Across Minnesota.

*Edit: Chase wasn't riding with Birchwood this year ... missing out on group rides during pandemic times, I missed that he was with Birchwood this year.

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 08-19-20 at 06:30 AM.
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 08-18-20, 08:48 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
LOL! I've completed it twice and I still think it's wholly stupid! It is the most demanding ride I've ever done, totally type II fun (maybe type III). Totally worth the effort, it feels so good to complete.

I skipped this year because of COVID19 and protecting my support driver (AKA wife) from exposure. Those that rode this year had *the best* weather, I'm so so so jealous! Club-mate (Birchwood) was first place at just over 12 hours - averaging 20 mph over 240 miles of gravel roads?!?!

I'm already registered for next year (rolled over) and already making plans for my 2021 Day Across Minnesota.
I've done solo centuries semi-regularly for the last handful of years, but I always felt like I was close to Limp-Home mode by then end. This year I feel like I've been more fit; I finished a 200k last week and felt like I could have just kept going for hours longer. I'm hoping to talk con my wife in to driving the family and meeting me in Duluth while I ride up. The DaMN is probably about as stupid as I'll get. Probably.

The DaMN was just on Sat, wasn't it? I think that's when a couple of my Strava folks posted up. Yeah, that was a beautiful day - I rode up through Anoka/Elk River/Monticello and couldn't have asked for much better weather.

12 hours is goddamn nuts. Are there a lot of riders for Birchwood? I do see the kit out there regularly enough.
Old 08-18-20, 09:06 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by WhyFi
I've done solo centuries semi-regularly for the last handful of years, but I always felt like I was close to Limp-Home mode by then end. This year I feel like I've been more fit; I finished a 200k last week and felt like I could have just kept going for hours longer. I'm hoping to talk con my wife in to driving the family and meeting me in Duluth while I ride up. The DaMN is probably about as stupid as I'll get. Probably.

The DaMN was just on Sat, wasn't it? I think that's when a couple of my Strava folks posted up. Yeah, that was a beautiful day - I rode up through Anoka/Elk River/Monticello and couldn't have asked for much better weather.

12 hours is goddamn nuts. Are there a lot of riders for Birchwood? I do see the kit out there regularly enough.
My training for The DAMn was mostly centuries. The one unique ride/race I added was the PH24 to test my ability to ride through the night, I only rode the first 12 hours (7 pm to 7 AM) since it was one week prior to The DAMn in 2018. The 2020 DAMn was this past Saturday, I rode to Henderson to cheer on riders and take a few pics - Henderson is about 150 miles into The DAMn and one of the only places with a store on the route (pic below).

Birchwood has a good number of riders, I think we have 75 members of all levels, interests, and disciplines. Chase totally blew my mind with that ride, he said he only had 15 minutes of time off the bike ... DAMn!!!

Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 08-18-20, 09:38 AM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 391 Times in 226 Posts
Usually never. About the only time I unzip my jersey is on a very hot day going up a long slow uphill climb. You know, the typical 4+ mile uphill slog. After topping out I zip it back up. Don't want any bugs, insects, bees, etc getting their stingers on me before they drown in my sweat.
Old 08-18-20, 11:10 AM
Badbird2000

Bikes: Litespeed

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
Just remember to zip it up when you cross the finish line so everyone sees the sponsor's name
I had this exact thought yesterday on my solo ride! I was coming to the top of a 1.6 mile uphill... did that same thing, lol!
Old 08-18-20, 11:29 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Badbird2000
I had this exact thought yesterday on my solo ride! I was coming to the top of a 1.6 mile uphill... did that same thing, lol!
Like a PRO... good for you for finishing strong
Old 08-18-20, 11:52 AM
Badbird2000

Bikes: Litespeed

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
I started back riding this year after 12 years off the bike. I started road riding when I was about 13, rode for about 15 years, taking breaks off here an there. I am 47 now, moved to east Tennessee 12 years ago, from Florida. Trying to prepare myself to ride 441 in the Smokys from Gatlinburg to Clingmans Dome. 17 miles, one way, about 5,500 feet elevation gain. Trying to make it happen in the next 3 weeks.
Old 08-19-20, 10:32 PM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 327 Posts
Even on really hot days , (over 90 degrees ) I still wear a long sleeve compression shirt under my jerseys, pour some water on your back and it keeps you alot cooler than unzipping your jersey to let the air in.Besides you look pretty silly with your jersey flopping around in the wind.
Old 08-20-20, 02:13 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
Originally Posted by Manny66
Even on really hot days , (over 90 degrees ) I still wear a long sleeve compression shirt under my jerseys, pour some water on your back and it keeps you alot cooler than unzipping your jersey to let the air in.Besides you look pretty silly with your jersey flopping around in the wind.
let's be honest...we look pretty silly regardless.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 08-24-20, 12:59 AM
Slobloke

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't do this in the French Quarter! All the dang drunks start throwing 'dem stupid beads at ya' !!!