Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Front wheel getting play when I ride

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-20, 04:52 PM
sortieavelo

Bikes: A-D Superleicht; Colnago CX-1; Cervélo Soloist; 1985 Trek 460; 1973 Crescent Pepita 320.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

Decided to finally service my 1992 Trek 720 multitrack front QR Shimano HB-RM50 hub. My first time cleaning my own hub. Bought new bearings, grease, cone spanners, watched videos, etc.

Put it back together nice & tight. When I ride up the street, I come back & wheel has play. I take it all off, tighten again. RE-tighten locknuts. All is good & right. Then I ride up the block—when I get back there is play again.

any help/guidance is much appreciated!!
Old 08-18-20, 05:40 PM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...and-adjustment
You can search youtube for videos.

Typical locknut torque is around 10-15 Nm. Are you tightening the locknut against the cones, and on both sides?
Old 08-19-20, 09:57 AM
sortieavelo

Bikes: A-D Superleicht; Colnago CX-1; Cervélo Soloist; 1985 Trek 460; 1973 Crescent Pepita 320.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Are you tightening the cones to the locknuts? If each cone is super tight to each of its locknuts, you should have no play after it is adjusted properly.

This is what the physical concept of a working bicycle comes down to: two nuts can be locked together on a bolt. It's just that simple.
yes. Now I’m tightening cones to where axle won’t turn; tightening lock nuts to cones with all my might, then putting wheel on QR. Still a wee bit of play. Does the QR loosen it up somehow?
Old 08-19-20, 11:02 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 613 Posts
See above; usually the quick release tightens the system very slightly, so you're not getting the cones tight enough (or somehow have the wrong part(s). John Barnett (started a bicycle mechanic training institute in OR) used to say to set the tightness to allow a certain number of "swings" for the wheel back and forth after you set the tightness and before installation. If nothing else works, see what happens with the old parts.