Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Wahoo and Strava summary diff...

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 08-23-20, 02:41 PM
showlow

Bikes: Lemond Zurich, All City Macho King Ace

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 33 Posts

Anybody know why the summaries are dif between what my Wahoo says and what Strava says?

Old 08-23-20, 04:57 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6173 Post(s)
Liked 4,790 Times in 3,305 Posts
Strava and many other sites derive the accumulated totals from the track data in the log file you upload. I think some of those accumulated totals of your device are in the log file, but I don't know for certain. But many sites don't use them and just add up the track point data.

Log files at best probably only use 1 second recording intervals. Some devices the time between data points logged can be much longer. The device probably accumulates more often than that. So some differences can be from just that alone.

It's not a bad thing. It's just a choice they make for many reasons that if we knew them all you'd find plenty of us on different sides.

Last edited by Iride01; 08-23-20 at 05:01 PM.
Old 08-23-20, 06:45 PM
showlow

Originally Posted by Iride01
Strava and many other sites derive the accumulated totals from the track data in the log file you upload. I think some of those accumulated totals of your device are in the log file, but I don't know for certain. But many sites don't use them and just add up the track point data.

Log files at best probably only use 1 second recording intervals. Some devices the time between data points logged can be much longer. The device probably accumulates more often than that. So some differences can be from just that alone.

It's not a bad thing. It's just a choice they make for many reasons that if we knew them all you'd find plenty of us on different sides.
Sorry. This confused me. An average is an average, right? I thought it might be because Strava calculates non-moving time. I stopped to play with my phone and wait for stop lights. Maybe Strava is calculating 10 extra mins of zero?
Old 08-23-20, 07:04 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Sure an average is an average. However you'll get different answers from using different methods to determine them because you are using different data. With out knowing how each is determined by both the website and on your device, expecting them to agree is not something I'd expect. As long as they are in the ballpark, I'm happy.

Which average is bothering you? Regardless, all they are telling you is that you need to ride more. <grin>

https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/...e-Calculations

https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/...lculates-Power
Old 08-23-20, 07:28 PM
showlow

Sure an average is an average. However you'll get different answers from us
Which average is bothering you? Regardless, all they are telling you is that you need to ride more​​​
Hey, I ride enough. It is really hot out. Plus... long rides are overrated anyway.

Neither really bothers me. I literally just got this power meter. It's only my second ride with it. I just wonder why Strava's summary is different. The power in particular is much dif. Those FAQs don't actually answer my question.
Old 08-23-20, 08:15 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
My guess is that the Wahoo is not counting zeros in the power calculation, and Strava always does. Distance and speed get retouched by a Strava algorithm.
Old 08-23-20, 09:45 PM
showlow

Originally Posted by showlow
Hey, I ride enough. It is really hot out. Plus... long rides are overrated anyway.

Neither really bothers me. I literally just got this power meter. It's only my second ride with it. I just wonder why Strava's summary is different. The power in particular is much dif. Those FAQs don't actually answer my question.
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
My guess is that the Wahoo is not counting zeros in the power calculation, and Strava always does. Distance and speed get retouched by a Strava algorithm.
I think it does count zeros, but not time that is paused? My Wahoo avg watts drop when coasting, I think.
Old 08-23-20, 10:14 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I would have to see extended stats on the activity to be able to tell. The power numbers shown on the Wahoo would have me expect a significantly higher average speed. Strava seems about right.
Old 08-23-20, 10:26 PM
showlow

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
I would have to see extended stats on the activity to be able to tell. The power numbers shown on the Wahoo would have me expect a significantly higher average speed. Strava seems about right.
Now I'm getting a little pissed. It was 16 miles of dirt/mixed climbing. I bought this power meter so I would know how much power I am making with no doubts.
​​​
​​I started a thread about how Strava estimates were always lower than my Wahoo Kickr Snap for what seemed like the same effort. You responded to that thread, actually (appreciate it). Before, Strava had never once given me avg watts > 200 for an entire ride, but then I added a bike and it recalculated giving me a consistent average in or around 200w total for a ride. Then I got a power meter, this week in fact, and I've used it twice. The PM seems to agree w/ my Kickr Snap and Strava's estimates (after a bike is added). Here's the other thread.

https://www.bikeforums.net/training-nutrition/1209826-strava-estimated-power-vs-indoor-power.html

Why the hell would this meter lie? It's advertised as accurate to 1 percent. It seems to me that whatever is going straight to my Wahoo from my PM would be most accurate.

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/ZZp89MiCc9

​​​​
​​​​​​

Last edited by showlow; 08-23-20 at 11:26 PM.
Old 08-24-20, 12:15 AM
showlow

This might be it... The function of including zero was not turned on. That would def inflate avg on the Wahoo, that would be recalculated dif once the raw data was uploaded to Strava.

​​​​​
Old 08-24-20, 12:02 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by showlow
Now I'm getting a little pissed. It was 16 miles of dirt/mixed climbing. I bought this power meter so I would know how much power I am making with no doubts.
​​​
​​I started a thread about how Strava estimates were always lower than my Wahoo Kickr Snap for what seemed like the same effort. You responded to that thread, actually (appreciate it). Before, Strava had never once given me avg watts > 200 for an entire ride, but then I added a bike and it recalculated giving me a consistent average in or around 200w total for a ride. Then I got a power meter, this week in fact, and I've used it twice. The PM seems to agree w/ my Kickr Snap and Strava's estimates (after a bike is added). Here's the other thread.

https://www.bikeforums.net/training-...oor-power.html

Why the hell would this meter lie? It's advertised as accurate to 1 percent. It seems to me that whatever is going straight to my Wahoo from my PM would be most accurate.

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/ZZp89MiCc9

​​​​
​​​​​​
So use the one you think is the most accurate.

How would it change any of your training or whether or not you can place what ever position you can place in a competition whether formal or impromptu?

Don't let a bean counter mentality keep you frustrated that all the columns don't add up for you. Just go ride some more.
Old 08-25-20, 11:49 AM
showlow

So use the one you think is the most accurate.

How would it change any of your training or whether or not you can place what ever position you can place in a competition whether formal or impromptu?

Don't let a bean counter mentality keep you frustrated that all the columns don't add up for you. Just go ride some more.
I hear you. I avoided this tech for years for this very reason.

That said, I spent the money and I want the stuff to work. I fixed it. My Wahoo was excluding zeros in the avg. I turned zeros off for a short ride last night and got a much more realistic avg of 211 on both my Wahoo and in Strava, which now agree. Prob solved.

Also, fwiw, looking down at my power numbers is actually kinda fun. It's like having a tachometer or something. I am learning a lot about myself from the numbers.