Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Buying expensive bikes and parts...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Buying expensive bikes and parts...

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-20, 07:29 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
There's no need to get an expensive expensive bike unless you can appreciate the difference. Which is to say, if you have to ask why, then you won't understand the answer.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 08-29-20, 07:39 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by blazingpedals
there's no need to get an expensive expensive bike unless you can appreciate the difference. Which is to say, if you have to ask why, then you won't understand the answer.
esoteric
Old 08-29-20, 07:53 PM
5 mph

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
You can't take it with you.
Yes but I have kids and a wife to look after. But I also see your point. Maybe next time, I'll even buy a new bike
Old 08-29-20, 07:57 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by 5 mph
Yes but I have kids and a wife to look after. But I also see your point. Maybe next time, I'll even buy a new bike
I have wife, kids and grandkids.

Agreed... they come first, but you also need to treat yourself. Maybe not to a sports car, expensive bike, expensive camera, expensive golf membership and other hobbies. But you deserve one of the above.

I drove used cars and worked 2 jobs so my kids can get through college without any debt. But when my last got off the payroll... I treated myself for a job well done.

When the time comes... treat yourself.

One last thing.. my mom taught me it's not about leaving money for the kids... they have their entire life ahead of them. It's not being a burden on them... that's the gift you give. When my mom passed, I gave what she had left to my kids since I never counting on there being anything so I didn't need it.
Old 08-29-20, 08:21 PM
5 mph

Originally Posted by GlennR
I have wife, kids and grandkids.

Agreed... they come first, but you also need to treat yourself. Maybe not to a sports car, expensive bike, expensive camera, expensive golf membership and other hobbies. But you deserve one of the above.

I drove used cars and worked 2 jobs so my kids can get through college without any debt. But when my last got off the payroll... I treated myself for a job well done.

When the time comes... treat yourself.

One last thing.. my mom taught me it's not about leaving money for the kids... they have their entire life ahead of them. It's not being a burden on them... that's the gift you give. When my mom passed, I gave what she had left to my kids since I never counting on there being anything so I didn't need it.
that's nice to hear..I'm the son of immigrants from the Far East...and to this day ,like you, I've never owned a new car. Did my own roof. Used to bag my meals and save my per diem on long trips.but I am already very fortunate ..to have lived in America...and in some ways ...small house, used cars, used bikes.workaholic ..I already consider myself rich
Thanks
Old 08-29-20, 08:54 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
We can only see things through our own eyes and that's a pretty small universe.
I'm like you , I'm conservative and pretty frugal. I wouldn't spend more than maybe $400. I bought my last bike used.
I try not to be too judgmental. I see a lot of 70 year old men in $60,000 Corvettes. I guess if you have the money and you are comfortable with using it, its all relative to your own judgment and views on life.
If you just want to putt around town or noodle on some mellow trails a $400 bike will get the job done. If you want a nice light bike to go climbing for hours and maybe go 50 mph on the descents you will have to spend a bit more. Right tool for the job.
Nobody needs to drive as fast as a Corvette can go but $60K is not a lot of money for a new car these days. Lots of pick-up trucks are quite a bit more than that. I worked at a Chevy dealer and we sold the supercharged Corvettes for $135K when they first came out and we sold every one we could get before we even saw them.
Old 08-29-20, 11:02 PM
vane171

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Originally Posted by vane171 View Post
I'd say, expensive bike is OK if you want to hang it on the wall and just look at it.
fify
HEY, you take that out or I will have to report your post! That is not done, editing people's post to insert into their quote what they didn't write!!

Last edited by vane171; 08-29-20 at 11:05 PM.
Likes For vane171:
Old 08-30-20, 06:20 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

that's nice to hear..I'm the son of immigrants from the Far East...and to this day ,like you, I've never owned a new car. Did my own roof. Used to bag my meals and save my per diem on long trips.but I am already very fortunate ..to have lived in America...and in some ways ...small house, used cars, used bikes.workaholic ..I already consider myself rich
Thanks
I'm second generation. My dad saved and never bought himself anything, that's my role model. My first new bike, I bought when I was 18, my second new bike i bought when I was 55.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 08-30-20, 01:10 PM
big john

Originally Posted by vane171
HEY, you take that out or I will have to report your post! That is not done, editing people's post to insert into their quote what they didn't write!!
It's a joke, chill out.
Old 08-30-20, 02:28 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
"fify" - fixed it for you. It's a standard accepted form of commentary on bf.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 08-30-20, 03:08 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

And get off my lawn
Actually its done all the time.

Welcome to the interweb

Last edited by GlennR; 08-30-20 at 03:27 PM.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 08-30-20, 05:22 PM
VernMoto

Bikes: Specialized, Motobecane

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
What model is it? Is it the Hal? AXS Eagle Lunar is the wireless group from Sram. Mountain bikes are usually sized by small, medium, large, etc. Mountain bike sizing varies so much from one brand to another you have to look at geometry charts to see if it will fit.
Did you try to post a link?
If it's the Hal then a 48 is the large.

I think you can start posting pictures after 10 posts, so not a big deal.

Anyway, this is the bike I am going for.
Old 08-30-20, 05:42 PM
big john

Old 08-30-20, 06:03 PM
VernMoto

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Why? 2 wheels, frame, chain, crank, handlebars. For 99% of all the riding, vintage works just as well as new.
The only exception for me is shifting gears. I hatted having to pull up and down on those archaic levers below your knees and feeling your way through what gear you were in. For me, click click and I love it. Other than that I guess there was something special about riding those super tall giant framed bikes. I guess.
Old 08-30-20, 06:10 PM
VernMoto

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
If you just want to putt around town or noodle on some mellow trails a $400 bike will get the job done. If you want a nice light bike to go climbing for hours and maybe go 50 mph on the descents you will have to spend a bit more. Right tool for the job.
Nobody needs to drive as fast as a Corvette can go but $60K is not a lot of money for a new car these days. Lots of pick-up trucks are quite a bit more than that. I worked at a Chevy dealer and we sold the supercharged Corvettes for $135K when they first came out and we sold every one we could get before we even saw them.
I remember when Corvetts were affordable. And a decent bike could be found for a good price at the bike shop. Not anymore!
Old 08-30-20, 06:31 PM
VernMoto

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by osco53
I regularly spank guys on bikes costing 3 times what my mountain bike cost($1500+ hop ups.got 2grand in it)

And they are often ten, twenty years younger than me

I take great pride in that fact as I do my bikes..

Buy them 10K bikes rich guys...this spurs great R&D and it trickles down to me
I did as well. But when I finally got an expensive bike it was way faster. No one could even keep up with me. I found that I was spending a lot of my energy on pedaling that crappy old bike. LOL
Old 08-30-20, 06:36 PM
VernMoto

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I just spent $3000

I got this bike on BikesDirect for $3000.00. Please. Opinions?

Old 08-30-20, 06:44 PM
big john

Originally Posted by VernMoto
I remember when Corvetts were affordable.
I don't.
Old 08-30-20, 08:33 PM
5 mph

I don't.
Corvette's in the 60's cost around $6000, I think, I used to dream of owning one as a kid. Then I had kids. Guess what..
Old 08-30-20, 08:36 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
Two points:

1. A friend has a high end Ti Motobecane and deeply regrets it. And he's a MUCH better wrench than me. We can swap anecdotes. Maybe you have more anecdotes and you win.

2. I never said online order was a bad idea. I own a Canyon, after all. But it's a bad idea for people who don't know a lot about bikes and about their fit and their needs and also for people who can't do a fair amount of their own customizing and wrenching. It seemed to me that the person posting above could be in that category, but maybe he's not. He can gather the information and make his choice.
And that's why I said "some of what you said is untrue".

My friend does all of his own mechanic stuff on his bikes and he said there is nothing unusual about his Moto that was out of the norm and wouldn't be able to find parts for it. Like I said he bought his about 9 or 10 years ago so maybe back then it was all normal stuff vs today's newer Motos? but from what I saw looking at their website I didn't "notice" anything non conforming. I'm sure with the mid to lower level bikes that might be true, but I don't know anyone who has one of those levels of bikes to tell me if that's the case or not.

What we should do is post a question on this forum to see how many people who have bought Bikes Direct bikes that are having issues getting parts...by golly, I think I'll do just that! LOL!!
Likes For rekmeyata:
Old 08-30-20, 09:57 PM
big john

Corvette's in the 60's cost around $6000, I think, I used to dream of owning one as a kid. Then I had kids. Guess what..
I was in high school until 1971. Regardless, there was no time in my life when I would have considered a Vette affordable. When I worked on them in the 70s I kinda wanted one, too. In the last few years whenever I drive one of the supercharged ones, I wonder why anyone would want one.

If I was motivated, I could have bought a used one and fixed it up but after working on cars every day for decades, I lost interest.

Last edited by big john; 08-30-20 at 10:04 PM.
Likes For big john:
Old 08-30-20, 10:59 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
And that's why I said "some of what you said is untrue".
My friend does all of his own mechanic stuff on his bikes and he said there is nothing unusual about his Moto that was out of the norm and wouldn't be able to find parts for it. Like I said he bought his about 9 or 10 years ago so maybe back then it was all normal stuff vs today's newer Motos? but from what I saw looking at their website I didn't "notice" anything non conforming.
The usual caution, and complaint, that we hear about BD bikes is not that they use non-standard parts, but that they're not assembled very well. Threaded fittings without enough grease, wheels not tensioned and true, shifting not dialed in, brakes crooked, etc. Those are all things that an experienced cyclist will generally have the knowledge to fix. Too many inexperienced people buy them on price alone, discounting the value that an LBS offers in this regard, and then have troubles. The usual advise is to go to an LBS unless you ARE a decent mechanic and experienced rider.

There was a time though, that BD.com was selling complete junk frames with nice component groups because the "whole bike" dealer discount on components was so good that people would buy a bike from them just for the parts. They've had kind of a hard time getting past that reputation.

Last edited by DiabloScott; 08-30-20 at 11:08 PM.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 08-31-20, 10:58 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
The usual caution, and complaint, that we hear about BD bikes is not that they use non-standard parts, but that they're not assembled very well. Threaded fittings without enough grease, wheels not tensioned and true, shifting not dialed in, brakes crooked, etc. Those are all things that an experienced cyclist will generally have the knowledge to fix. Too many inexperienced people buy them on price alone, discounting the value that an LBS offers in this regard, and then have troubles. The usual advise is to go to an LBS unless you ARE a decent mechanic and experienced rider.

There was a time though, that BD.com was selling complete junk frames with nice component groups because the "whole bike" dealer discount on components was so good that people would buy a bike from them just for the parts. They've had kind of a hard time getting past that reputation.
Have you read up at all about ORA the Asian builder of Titanium bicycle frames? I think you should. I saw their welds first hand and they rival anything coming out of the US. There's been virtually no complaints about the TI road bikes they sell.

On top of that, they handle problems pretty darn good, if a derailleur fails under warranty they send you a new one. Here is a website about BD complaints: https://www.sitejabber.com/reviews/bikesdirect.com The largest bike shop in my town only gets 2 stars!!! Are they perfect? no, but you do get what you pay for! They do tend to be a bit slow with customer service, and sometimes they can't ship a bike out on time, so people get annoyed, but on the other hand, a lot of people on various forums have done business with them and the majority had no issues and love their bikes. I would recommend that any bike you get mail order, even a Moots, you should take it to a bike shop and make sure all is good before you ride it, that may cost you $145 or so, but it's peace of mind. I didn't do that with my Lynskey because I can check that stuff myself, but if I didn't know how to do that sort of stuff I would have taken it to a shop. As crazy as this may seem but I've known people who got bikes out of LBS's and the LBS NEVER checked to see if things were lubed or torqued correctly, one guy blew out his BB because the factory didn't put any lube in it at all and the LBS just assembled it and turned it over to the owner, and then the LBS gave him a hard time about it because the LBS had to pay for it all. I've heard a lot of stories like that over my 40 years of riding. So just because you bought the bike at an LBS doesn't mean all is golden.

It's nowhere near the gamble you would take if you went directly to a Chinese supplier and bought a bike that way!
Likes For rekmeyata:
Old 08-31-20, 08:26 PM
vane171

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
"fify" - fixed it for you. It's a standard accepted form of commentary on bf.
Thanks. One can make such jokes without invading one's privacy zone (it feels like that and indeed it is that). I stopped reading right away when I figured out something is wrong, that I didn't write that... I found it so disgusting that I didn't care to dwell on it, to figure if that is sarcasm or a joke, because that is beside the point. I guess this forum is not for me then if the attitude here is - anything goes.

Anyway, lets forget about it.
Old 11-03-20, 03:11 PM
BCAC

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, GF 29er, old Trek Madone

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 29 Posts
For a few years before my back operation, I wasn’t riding at all. Afterwards, I got a comfort bike for therapy and started riding around the subdivision and after a while replaced it with an endurance bike with easy ergonomics. Rode a Peloton indoors 4 days a week for 3 years and finally got my old Trek Madone out of the attic and recently started riding with a fairly fast group 3 or 4 times a week.

I’ve gotten to the point I can keep up and do my share of pulling.

My LBS lent me a nice demo bike to take on one of the shorter (30 miles) rides. Well, I felt great, even though the ergo’ s were pretty racy. Really dig the electronic shifting and for whatever reason, my speed was up and so was my comfort.

So yep, I ordered one. Life is good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.