Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

What "size" is my full-suspension bike?

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Old 09-14-20, 11:52 AM
hobkirk
Retired dabbler

Location: Acton, MA (20 miles west of Boston) - GORGEOUS cycling territory!

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Roubaix Elite Triple - 1st ride = century 9/19/2010 , Ultegra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've read there is a rule of thumb for finding if a bike fits -
  1. sit on bike and inseam should be 2" off ground (or, you are just able to stand on your tippy toes!)
I bought a full suspension bike at a garage sale years ago. I've ridden it twice. I had the saddle fairly high (I am 6' 1" tall). But, as far as I can tell, the bike is too big for me - the seat in its lowest position is 36" (I have a 30" inseam). So, I need help so I can figure out how to sell this to someone it will fit.

This is the full bike:

Here is the seat in it's lowest position (highest = 43"):

And the imprints on the bottom bracket, in case they are useful:

Old 09-14-20, 12:18 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Few bikes I ever saw listed on craigslist and elsewhere listed a size. Maybe just measure the seat tube, the max saddle height, effective top tube length and stack. Pic's of each with tape measure might help.

Few buyers will probably know what to do with that though. So don't sweat it.
Old 09-14-20, 08:16 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
"size" is seat tube length up from center axis of the BB..
Old 09-16-20, 07:09 AM
AnthonyG

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 289 Posts
Take a horizontal line from the top of the head tube/headset to where it intersects with the seatpost. Then measure from this point down to the centre of the bottom bracket. This will be the nominal size of this frame in inches/centimetres.

For the record, I don't believe that this bike is too big for you, based on how much seatpost you have exposed, but if you want to sell it then sell it.
Likes For AnthonyG:
Old 09-16-20, 01:00 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
6ft 1inch.... 30 inch inseam....Huh?
Old 09-18-20, 09:44 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
You should not be able to reach the ground while seated. I an 5'8" and my bike saddles are around 38" high if measured from the ground. You should be able to get full leg extension while pedaling seated. You slide off the saddle to reach the ground when stopping. Looking at the headtube and guessing that that bike should be pretty close for you.
Old 09-18-20, 01:18 PM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
Originally Posted by hobkirk
I've read there is a rule of thumb for finding if a bike fits -
  1. sit on bike and inseam should be 2" off ground (or, you are just able to stand on your tippy toes!)
utter nonsense. that has nothing to do with a bike's size or how it fits you.
if you're going to talk about inseam, you need cycling inseam or actual inseam, not your pants size. look that up. how high is the bottom of your pelvis from the ground when standing in your bare feet. that's a start. I am 5'9" with average proportions and my actual inseam is about 34". my legs might be just a tad on the long size for my heigh. if you're 6' tall with a 30" actual inseam, you might have an undiagnosed medical disorder.

most bicycles have a sticker on the seat tube of the frame that states the frame size. at 6' tall, you should be on a 19-21" frame.

unrelated—that chain needs more than oil. it needs to be replaced. it's way beyond maintenance now.

Last edited by mack_turtle; 09-18-20 at 01:26 PM.