Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Likes and Dislikes for TdF 2020

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-20, 06:53 PM
MKahrl

Bikes: Rivendell A.Homer Hilsen, Paramount P13, (4) Falcon bicycles, Mondia Special, Rodriguez Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts

1. Athletes wearing face masks when not racing. At least someone is leading by example.
2. No RVs or Cars along the course on mountain stages. If you're a big enough fan you will get up that mountain under your own power.
3. The return of black shorts in team kits. Colored shorts are beneath a man's dignity. Now to get rid of the tramp-stamp sponsor names across the ass.
4. France looks more beautiful than ever. Is there a 5-year prison term awaiting any TdF cameraman that pans across an ugly corner of town?

Dislikes:
1. No Podium coverage. I can't imagine what changed up on the podium that caused half the entire world to lose interest.
2. Neckties and sports coats on NBCSN commentators. It's unnatural. We can at least take comfort knowing that Bob Roll and Phil Liggett are holed up in their man-caves out of sight with four month beards.
Old 09-02-20, 09:17 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
Originally Posted by MKahrl
1. Athletes wearing face masks when not racing. At least someone is leading by example.
2. No RVs or Cars along the course on mountain stages. If you're a big enough fan you will get up that mountain under your own power.
3. The return of black shorts in team kits. Colored shorts are beneath a man's dignity. Now to get rid of the tramp-stamp sponsor names across the ass.
4. France looks more beautiful than ever. Is there a 5-year prison term awaiting any TdF cameraman that pans across an ugly corner of town?

Dislikes:
1. No Podium coverage. I can't imagine what changed up on the podium that caused half the entire world to lose interest.

2. Neckties and sports coats on NBCSN commentators. It's unnatural. We can at least take comfort knowing that Bob Roll and Phil Liggett are holed up in their man-caves out of sight with four month beards.
a newish dearth of "podium girls?"
Old 09-02-20, 09:52 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
I sort of dislike a certain decision that was made regarding the yellow jersey after Stage 5
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-02-20, 10:45 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by MKahrl

Dislikes:
This is pretty darn funny: France looks more beautiful than ever. Is there a 5-year prison term awaiting any TdF cameraman that pans across an ugly corner of town?
This, not so much: At least someone is leading by example.
Old 09-02-20, 10:48 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Originally Posted by Maelochs
I sort of dislike a certain decision that was made regarding the yellow jersey after Stage 5
understood. that is an established rule however and not subject to interpretation/opinion such as sprinting irregularities (sagan vs cav with sagan being ejected from the race, et al...).
dqs knew the consequences and still did it. i look at it like a pass interference penalty in american football or tripping penalty just outside the box in football. sometimes you know you're beaten
or in trouble and have to commit a foul. if alaphilippe didn't get that bidon, he may have lost more than 20 seconds at stage's end.
Old 09-03-20, 06:10 AM
qajaq

Bikes: TREK Domane 5.2 Giant Defy Wilier Triestina Cento

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Too many commercials on NBCSN so I subscribe to NBCGOLD no commercials and the race start to finish plus stage replays. Unfortunately commentators Matt Keenan and Robby McEwan not doing this years edition. Covid quarantines in Australia? They are the best in the business right now. Ant McCrossan and Simon Germans are just awful in comparison. Actually spent like five minutes talking about the “smells in the peloton”. Endless banter having nothing to do with what is happening in the race.

Last edited by qajaq; 09-03-20 at 06:14 AM. Reason: Added covid reference
Likes For qajaq:
Old 09-03-20, 07:14 AM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 185 Posts
Dislike?

No Jens.

I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Likes For Shadco:
Old 09-03-20, 07:44 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3770 Post(s)
Liked 1,036 Times in 784 Posts
Dislikes: I agree with MKharl "Neckties and sports coats on NBCSN commentators. It's unnatural. We can at least take comfort knowing that Bob Roll and Phil Liggett are holed up in their man-caves out of sight with four month beards."

I'm not a fan of the 20km rule.

I'm really not a fan of NOT allowing cyclists that have had an accident or mechanical to not use the caravan to get back up to the Peloton. I agree with rider(s) not being able to use the caravan if they get dropped, especially in cases where a crosswind causes havoc in the Peloton.
Old 09-03-20, 08:09 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
What is really hilarious about it...there was no racing in that stage until the end. I had it live on all morning...I gave up after 4 hours of busying myself with nothing happening, not even a break--and rode my bike.
Old 09-03-20, 09:38 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
dislike the timing of the event (I'm off in July), but still glad they are having it
dislike no Jens or Steve Porino

other than that, it's the Tour and I like that very much!
Old 09-03-20, 11:17 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
if alaphilippe didn't get that bidon, he may have lost more than 20 seconds at stage's end.
That makes a lot of sense. Thank you.
Old 09-03-20, 06:18 PM
hrdknox1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 40 Posts
I like watching it on Eurosport with commentators Sean Kelly and Carlton Kirby. Fewer and shorter commercial breaks.
I dislike listening on NBCSN to which rider the commentators have picked to win the stage.
Old 09-05-20, 01:21 PM
work4bike

I don't like teams wearing yellow jerseys.

I really don't like Team AG2R's cycling kits; ugly ass color scheme.
Likes For work4bike:
Old 09-05-20, 04:01 PM
Jashue

Bikes: '18 Madone 9.5, '20 Domane SL5

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike
I don't like teams wearing yellow jerseys.
This a thousand times.
Old 09-11-20, 11:36 AM
HeyItsSara
Meet me at spin class!!!!

Bikes: Precor recumbant indoor bike, Stages bike at Equinox gym

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 53 Posts
there are a TON of commercials, I will agree with that.
Old 09-15-20, 01:07 AM
Rotten Bastard

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by qajaq
Too many commercials on NBCSN so I subscribe to NBCGOLD no commercials and the race start to finish plus stage replays. Unfortunately commentators Matt Keenan and Robby McEwan not doing this years edition. Covid quarantines in Australia? They are the best in the business right now. Ant McCrossan and Simon Germans are just awful in comparison. Actually spent like five minutes talking about the “smells in the peloton”. Endless banter having nothing to do with what is happening in the race.
This. I got so frustrated with the commercial breaks that I started timing it all. The longest stretch of cycling coverage was about 7 minutes followed by 3 minutes of commercials. Jeez. There was also one point where they had 33 seconds (!) of cycling followed by 2.5 minutes of commercials. W.T.F.

Agree that the ad-free announcers are not so good. McCrossan at least you can hear, but Simon Gerrans has a very thin, tinny voice and speaks in a monotone and you can never hear what he says. He doesn't know how to project his voice for broadcasting and talks like he's at the pub chatting with a couple of friends. He has good knowledge but it all goes to waste.

We paid money for this coverage??!
Old 09-15-20, 05:46 AM
work4bike

I just pre-record the TdF, I have it recording now, and start watching it about an hour after the start and I can fast forward thru the commercials.
Old 09-15-20, 06:12 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by Rotten Bastard
This. I got so frustrated with the commercial breaks that I started timing it all. The longest stretch of cycling coverage was about 7 minutes followed by 3 minutes of commercials. Jeez. There was also one point where they had 33 seconds (!) of cycling followed by 2.5 minutes of commercials. W.T.F.

Agree that the ad-free announcers are not so good. McCrossan at least you can hear, but Simon Gerrans has a very thin, tinny voice and speaks in a monotone and you can never hear what he says. He doesn't know how to project his voice for broadcasting and talks like he's at the pub chatting with a couple of friends. He has good knowledge but it all goes to waste.

We paid money for this coverage??!
Well...Don't get him talking about 'deep dish wheels'...
Likes For Marcus_Ti:
Old 09-15-20, 07:21 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,089 Times in 637 Posts
Is anyone else as sick of seeing Cosnefroy still in the KOM jersey as I am? The guy gets shelled out of the peloton on a routine Cat 1. Will be so glad to see an actual climber take that from him.
Old 09-15-20, 07:54 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Originally Posted by USAZorro
Is anyone else as sick of seeing Cosnefroy still in the KOM jersey as I am? The guy gets shelled out of the peloton on a routine Cat 1. Will be so glad to see an actual climber take that from him.
wish *almost* granted. tomorrow’s stage will likely put the finishing touches on the kom jersey transfer.

Last edited by diphthong; 09-15-20 at 10:18 AM.
Old 09-15-20, 08:00 AM
work4bike

Originally Posted by USAZorro
I bet Cosnefroy himself was wishing someone would just take the jersey off his back as he was struggling on the climbs. When you're suffering, things like that can really affect your psyche.
Old 09-15-20, 01:22 PM
Rotten Bastard

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Well...Don't get him talking about 'deep dish wheels'...
Haha true!
Old 09-15-20, 10:25 PM
Rotten Bastard

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Holy f*** I really hate zwift now. How many more of those damn commercials are they going to shove down our throats?
Old 09-15-20, 11:17 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Originally Posted by Rotten Bastard
Holy f*** I really hate zwift now. How many more of those damn commercials are they going to shove down our throats?
it's not my thing but i ride in southern california where i can ride outside year round with a few modifications. between the
covid-19 throat punch, seasonality in much of the world, reluctance to ride with vehicular traffic and an appeal to convenience, i don't blame them.
all that + the biggest pro race of the year? i'd be crushing the zwift adverts at this time as well if i could afford it. anything that gets people off the couch is good in my book.
Old 09-16-20, 01:53 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,052 Times in 1,074 Posts
Guys emotional about winning their first stage
Lack of a controlling team driving everything
Tony Martin saying chill
Green jersey competition turning boring stages on their ear
Breaks that succeed
Beards
Bob Roll
France, in general

Dislikes:
Repetitive repetitive repetitive repetitive did I mention repetitive commercial overkill
Yellow team kits
So many mechanicals
Likes For downtube42:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.