Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Chainring help for new-frame build w/ some older parts

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 09-11-20, 02:01 PM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts

Hi
I’m building up an NOS hard tail frame (this Specialized HERE) with many of the parts from his previous bike, which had a cracked head tube.

Old bike was a 3x9. We have these Deore LX Hollow/Octalink cranks (original type, V2 splines, threaded internal BB:
https://si.shimano.com/api/publish/s...M572-2188A.pdf )

The old bike’s front der was a 31.8 clamp, and new bike’s tube is 34.9. So I was thinking since he never uses any but the granny 22t ring anyway, maybe modernize the front and do a 1x (and skip getting a front der & maybe having to mess with a longer spindle, and save some weight, etc).

My question is: if I buy something like this HERE Wolf Tooth 26t (64 bcd)... that narrow-wide ring takes the place of the inner small granny ring on the crankset-
... what do I do with the other two positions?

Im trying to have as little as possible, but I need something for this 26t to mount to because those (middle & big outer) 104 bcd rings are what can directly attach to the crank arms.
Old 09-11-20, 05:46 PM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Edit: or maybe it does connect, but I’ll need to space it out to make up for the lack of the other ring(s)? (And it’s just a question of getting shims and making sure the nut/bolts are going through the proper thickness and are completely tightened?..)

Last edited by Charliekeet; 09-11-20 at 07:12 PM.
Old 09-12-20, 06:21 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
First things first:

Before you start thinking about where to space your single ring at how many speeds is this 1x setup going to be?

1x9, 1x10, 1x11?

It makes a little bit of difference whether it is 1x11 vs the others.
Old 09-12-20, 07:03 AM
Charliekeet

Originally Posted by Kapusta
First things first:

Before you start thinking about where to space your single ring at how many speeds is this 1x setup going to be?

1x9, 1x10, 1x11?

It makes a little bit of difference whether it is 1x11 vs the others.
1x9. Using the existing 11-34 and Deore LX rear der. Will get a new chain, though (10 spd)

Last edited by Charliekeet; 09-12-20 at 07:36 AM.
Old 09-15-20, 02:27 PM
Charliekeet

Anyway, I think I’m going to buy that N-W 64 bcd Wolf Tooth 26t inner, and I’ll take off the outer (big)ring, and I think I understand how my crankset is constructed better now.

It looks like I can leave the middle ring where it is (until I decide if this setup works- and the key is just to make sure the bolts work out, but Wolf Tooth says this small ring can be mounted using existing crank bolts. Then maybe I get a bash guard for the 104 middle position later.
Old 09-15-20, 06:22 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Why are you getting a 10 speed chain?

If you want to run a single ring in the front using the small ring 64bcd bolt pattern, I would consider an offset ring like this: https://www.treefortbikes.com/North-...g-28T-Standard

It moves the chain a little outboard for a better chain line.Shims will not do you any good, as they would shim the ring inboard,

I actually just did a 1x11 conversion using your exact same crankset a month ago. I ran a bash guard in the big ring position. It requires single ring chainring bolts to do it as there is nothing in the middle ring position.

You could also do like you are planning and use that wolf tooth ring in the small ring position. Chain line will be a little off in the smallest cogs, but I doubt it will be a big deal.
Old 09-15-20, 10:33 PM
Charliekeet

Originally Posted by Kapusta
Why are you getting a 10 speed chain?

If you want to run a single ring in the front using the small ring 64bcd bolt pattern, I would consider an offset ring like this: https://www.treefortbikes.com/North-...g-28T-Standard

It moves the chain a little outboard for a better chain line.Shims will not do you any good, as they would shim the ring inboard,

I actually just did a 1x11 conversion using your exact same crankset a month ago. I ran a bash guard in the big ring position. It requires single ring chainring bolts to do it as there is nothing in the middle ring position.

You could also do like you are planning and use that wolf tooth ring in the small ring position. Chain line will be a little off in the smallest cogs, but I doubt it will be a big deal.
A number of recommendations online (users and manufacturers, including that NSB listing) of using a 10-spd chain even if running 9-speeds still, so that was my plan.

Huh, that offset ring by NSB is a smart setup! I’d get that if they had a 24t or 26, say- I think the jump from 22 to 28 is too much low-end gearing to lose. (We often find ourselves in 1st gear here- live in a neighborhood that firefighters use for training, climbing runs.)

Right, may not be the best in terms of chain line in the higher gears without the offset to move it more outboard a few mm. And maybe I can add a spacer if it is feasible and seems helpful.
And thanks for the experienced opinion that it should work! Much appreciated

Last edited by Charliekeet; 09-16-20 at 12:33 AM.