Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

1947 Raleigh Lenton Clubman stem removal

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-20, 07:11 AM
Maxtoon 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I am restoring a 1947 Raleigh Lenton Clubman. I am trying to remove the steel stem from the alloy drop bars. I have spread the stem clamp with a stretcher (3/16" bolt and drilled tapped plate) quite a bit, but I cannot get it around the tight bends. Any trick anyone knows? What am I missing here?
Old 09-20-20, 08:12 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
I would really advise not spreading the clamp too much as you can deform it permanently or weaken it. Having said that, just keep rotating the bars around as you pass it through the clamp until you find the best orientation for getting the bends through. Someone got it on there the same way originally. Be patient and don't force things too much. There may be some good YouTube videos with some good tricks too.
Old 09-20-20, 09:24 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
You need to align the inside of the bends with the narrow part of the clamp, which is often the area where the bolt is. Perhaps your spreader is interfering. As Crankycrank stated, someone got it on there, it should come off without heroic means.