Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Handlebar width ?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Handlebar width ?

Old 09-18-20, 09:35 AM
Senior Vagabond
Senior

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Handlebar width ?

I have ridden a Specialized Roubaix 58cm for 12 years. I am now looking at a slightly used on on-line (consequently LBS not much involved). All bike calculators would say I would take a 56cm but I am still leaning toward the 58cm after studying the changes in the respective bike's geometry. I just feel more comfortable with the extra 2cm height and small increases in other measurements with the 58cm ( I am 5"10 1/2 and 175 lbs.with an APE of 1.0) The one spec that I don't like though is the handlebar width. My 12 year old Roubaix initially came with 44cm alloy bars and after a year or two, I changed to carbon 42cm. I only have 41cm - 42cm wide shoulders. Althought I do not remember any issues with using the 44cm bars I think I changed after bike fitting and the desire to go all carbon. Having said that I am a little concerned if the 44cm on the new bike will be any real issue? Need to mention I am nearly 70 year old with torn rotator cuffs and other shoulder issues who rides 80-90 miles a week for just recreation and exercise. I am NOT a racer or group rider. My only competion is finding good routes and competing against myself. As usual any comments or recommendations are greatly appreciated.
Old 09-18-20, 09:52 AM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
You have to try it to know. Yo might know straight away or it may take time to be sure. If they don't work get the other ones. Swap from your old bike if it is feasible.
A handlebar swap can be relatively straight fwd depending on the setup.
I would also if possible try a few sizes in the shop. Bikes and bars that is.
​​​​​​
​​​
Old 09-18-20, 10:04 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
A newish Roubaix or a different bike? There are many reasons not to get the 58 at your size. Less seatpost extension means less rear compliance. Farther reach means your arms will have to be straighter and be less able to absorb shock. The fact that you use a larger size already suggests that you might be riding stiffly.

If you're talking about a Roubaix, then it already has a generous stack, and its effective stack is even higher with the OEM Hover handlebar. I don't remember if Specialized includes the height of the Future Shock in its stack calculation - it is also quite tall. I can't imagine how you'd be more comfortable on a 58.
Old 09-18-20, 10:47 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
My current bike and previous bike both have 42 cm wide handlebars. That's about what my shoulders are from the bony part to the bony part. I haven't really liked them that wide. I feel it makes my shoulders take too much of the side to side forces my body experiences during a ride.

It's only slight, but it is an accumulative thing that you notice more toward the end of longer rides. My Raleigh, that is three bikes back is only 38 cm wide and I think that is also what my bikes previous to it were. I'm planning on getting narrower bars again to see if I like them better.

If you are looking at a new bike, then bar width, crank length and other things change a lot between 54, 56 and 58 cm frames. Also, like you I used to like the feeling of big frames. But I just got a 56 cm frame and I think the smaller size has actually made it a more fun bike to ride.

I'm only 62, but I'm 5'-11" with long legs and arms. I have had a rotator cuff issue that resulted in a frozen shoulder. Physical therapy took care of that and it works like new with no issues.
Old 09-18-20, 11:33 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I doubt that the wider bars would cause any problem besides a slight aero penalty.

I've gone down to 40cm bars on the road bike so now wider bars feel a little funny but work fine.
Old 09-19-20, 07:07 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 396 Posts
At 70+ I play with every fit on my road bikes for comfort and dealing w/ less flexibility. The only thing I have noticed on bar width is a couple cm narrower than the shoulder width measurement, my hands are more comfortable on the hoods where I spend a good deal of time. The wider bars seem to have my hands flare out and that slightly more load being carried by my thumb is unpleasant and may (not really sure) help my arms and shoulders stay more relaxed..
Old 09-19-20, 07:22 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 741 Posts
As I get older my body makes it pretty clear about what position it likes. I've found that I can find a comfortable width for bars by sitting in a chair and while leaning forward slightly bring my arms up to a position that is similar to where they would be while riding. Doesn't have to be the exact position and turn your hands to what feels comfortable then move your arms closer and then farther from each other and you can usually find a sweet spot where your muscles feel least stressed and no or the least pain to your joints. You'll need a helper to measure the distance between your hands. Doesn't work for everyone of course but worth a try. Just remember you have to find a bar with the proper outer width as mfrs. use different methods of measuring bar width.
Old 09-20-20, 02:20 AM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
Some people like shoulder width bars.
Some people like narrow bars.
Some people like wide bars.
Some people don't care, and ride whatever bars are on the bike, even if that's different from their other bikes.

All of these people are correct, because there are no rules about bar width. Or shape. Or dimensions. Or tape. Or brake lever positions. Or anything else.

Heck, there aren't even guidelines about bars, let alone rules... I think handlebars are quirkier and more individual than saddles.

--Shannon
Likes For ShannonM:
Old 09-21-20, 03:56 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
I'm 5'11", 150 lbs, fairly normal slim proportions, 40R jacket size. My bikes range from 56-60cm, but 56-57cm feels best. My drop bars range from 38-44 and they're all fine with me. Generally I prefer narrower, although that's a problem when I use bar-end mirrors on the left side. My knee knocks the mirrors when I stand to pedal on the bikes with 38 and 40 width drops. Not a big deal since the mirrors have ball joints and can easily be adjusted again.

But if I ever get around to trying bar-end shifters (I have a couple of sets) on a road bike I'll need to go with either wider drop bars, or bars that are narrow at the hoods but flared at the bottoms to avoid knocking the shifters with my knees. I could trim the bar ends a bit, but I'm not sure that would solve the problem with 38-40 cm drops. I do have bar-end shifters on a hybrid with wide flared albatross swept bars, no problem knocking the shifters with my knees when I stand to pedal on that bike.

Regarding bike sizes, if I go with a larger frame I'll generally want a shorter stem, which can feel a bit twitchy. If I stick with frames closer to 56-57 cm I can use a longer stem which feels more stable to me, especially when standing to pedal, or on fast curves on rippled or bad pavement. Our roads are getting worse all the time so I'm picky about stability.