Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Corsaro Astron

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Corsaro Astron

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-20, 06:39 AM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1800 Post(s)
Liked 2,334 Times in 1,378 Posts
Corsaro Astron

Locally seller has a bike he advertised as an "Astron Corsaro".

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-road-bike/st...ike/1520931873

I believe the company was Corsaro and the model was Astron, based on the very limited info on here and the 'net. I suspect the company was simply a brand used to sell during the early 80's boom.

Photos range from bad to a lot worse.

So, why am I looking? Well, I do see what look like Shimano 600 hubs and there was one reference I found to a Cosaro Astron having Cyclone Derailleurs.
Lastly I can't find any photos , anywhere of a road bike of this brand. I understand they had BMX bikes as well, but again, no photos.

Anybody know anything of this brand??
Old 09-21-20, 06:48 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 3,336 Times in 2,176 Posts
-----

Corsaro brand created by a distributor I recall as being based in Oregon. T-Mar has posted that they were originally in Seattle (IIRC!).

Remember launch as being the 1983-84 time.

One thing which struck me at launchtime was how much value they offered.

Have always assumed them to be Giant products but have no hard information.

T-Mar shall be along momemtarily with the full scoop.

-----
Old 09-21-20, 07:55 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Corsaro was a California based importing company established in 1983. The Giant connection may be legitimate but I've yet to see one. So far, I've only been able to collect two Corsaro serial numbers. One was unknown to me but the other was from Nissan, who were best known as the prime source for Matsuri.

The subject bicycle appears to be mid-1980s and mid-range. It looks rough cosmetically and the rear wheel is either cocked or out of true, as it's rubbing or very near to rubbing the non-drive side chain stay. However, overall the bicycle appears to have decent specs. The tubing decal appears to Tange #2 . The front derailleur looks like it may be SunTour Cyclone M-II. The crankset has an integral spider and the teeth wear looks low. Brakes look like they are Dia-Compe GC-N or GX-N series. Wheelset appears to be 700C.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 09-21-20, 08:53 AM
juvela

-----

Thanks so much T-Mar!

My recollection of this marque is that the products only seemed to be around for two or three years. Did it last longer than that?

Was slightly surprised to see the transfer from an east coast shop. Had not known they were distriuted that far.

-----
Old 09-21-20, 11:12 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by juvela
...My recollection of this marque is that the products only seemed to be around for two or three years. Did it last longer than that?

Was slightly surprised to see the transfer from an east coast shop. Had not known they were distriuted that far.
I've only seen about a dozen and all those appeared to be from the mid to late 1980s. I'm sure WGB will post the S/N if he goes to take a look at the subject bicycle. He's very accommodating in that regard. That should help to determine the exact year and possibly the manufacturer. Perhaps we'll even be able to verify a Giant built frame. .

I was even more surprised to see that one had found it's way up into Canada. However, if a bicycle is going to change its citizenship, the Niagara region seems to be a popular spot.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 09-21-20, 08:33 PM
WGB 
WGB

I grabbed it and oh what a find!!
@juvela One thing which struck me at launch time was how much value they offered.
Good call on that. This thing is so light, it makes my League Fuji feel like a tank! I think the Fuji might become my winter bike.
@T-Mar Serial numbers when I can see better (my garage is dark) but for now looks like "HC 14323" though stamping isn't great and might be "BC 14323". For now I'll stick with H as a first stamp.

Cyclone front and rear and, I haven't seen these before but I believe the shifters are as well. Mostly dirty and dusty and needing a rebuild.

I'll add photos when it's light but for now. Post is up because sadly I have learned never to trust a seller who says a stem or seat post is free...

Last edited by WGB; 09-21-20 at 08:54 PM.
Old 09-21-20, 09:56 PM
juvela

-----

Thanks very much for these good images.

The topmount shifters are a helpful date bracketing aid.

As recalled, this design was only employed for about one and one half to two years.

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 09-22-20, 06:46 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by WGB
I grabbed it and oh what a find!!

@juvela One thing which struck me at launch time was how much value they offered.

Good call on that. This thing is so light, it makes my League Fuji feel like a tank! I think the Fuji might become my winter bike.

@T-Mar Serial numbers when I can see better (my garage is dark) but for now looks like "HC 14323" though stamping isn't great and might be "BC 14323". For now I'll stick with H as a first stamp.

Cyclone front and rear and, I haven't seen these before but I believe the shifters are as well. Mostly dirty and dusty and needing a rebuild.

I'll add photos when it's light but for now. Post is up because sadly I have learned never to trust a seller who says a stem or seat post is free...

The derailleurs are 3rd generation Cyclone, sometimes called New Cyclone. The shift levers are also New Cyclone. New Cyclone had it's debut for the 1985 model year and was discontinued at the end of 1986 in with the introduction of indexed Cyclone 7000, so we have a narrow range for model year. The top mount version of the shift levers was offered in 1985 but I'm not sure about 1986.

Regarding the serial number, it's definitely not Giant. The lead 'H' is probably correctly, as one of the other Corsaro also had a serial number that started with an 'H'.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 09-22-20, 11:59 AM
WGB 
WGB

Confirmed serial in daylight. It is HC14323 though last #3 is very hard to read.
** The black marks near the lettering are just road tar or similar. It isn't rusted through!!

Old 09-26-20, 09:58 AM
WGB 
WGB

My League Fuji needs repainting and rebuilding and I planned to do that next spring, using the 300 Exage Motion group set off a donor bike. Unfortunately the rear brake bridge of the Fuji is extremely low and the brake will not let it take most 28mm tires. A problem solver bolt hanger might've worked or I could have had the brake bridge raised a 1/4 of an inch. But brazing would've meant a repaint or powder coat immediately after to protect it over winter and even then, riding it in salt would've inevitably brought rust.

Then along came this one. Nice touches that I didn't see before were rack mounts above the rear brake bridge and all bolt bosses came with bolts mounted, they were off when the below photo was taken.

After cleaning it up I decided to move the 300 Exage over to the Corsaro. However, the Exage shifters are indexed and that left me with three choices. The single boss for the current Cyclone shifters meant either dismantling the Cyclone shifter base and using that with brifters/barcons or trying to order an adapter mount on line that could be used with a single boss, or buying a boss cover and using a cheap downtube cable holder. Modifying the Cyclone shifters struck me as wasteful and the cheap cable holders would've looked wrong. Waiting for a part struck me as senseless. It's already the end of September and waiting meant not riding.

I moved my seat post and Brooks directly across from my Fuji and also the tubulars that were on it. The bags are nice but not vital (lock chain, snacks, suntan lotion, spare tire, wallet, phone and tools) for a test ride.

Bingo!! @juvela Value indeed. Nice way to spend $100 Canadian. Long time since I had a ride that punched outside it's weight. This just feels right.

The Tange 2 is noticeably lighter than what ever "Fuji Val Lite 1769 quad butted tubing" is and the bridge is high enough to allow a lot of tire options. By next spring I'll move to a better crank set (possibly a triple) and by then I'll find a mount so I can use index shifting of some form. I'd prefer a shorter stem but for now, days are warm and I needs to ride.

Old 09-26-20, 10:41 AM
bertinjim 

Bikes: 1970s Alex Singer, 1960s Peugeot PX 10, 1960s Bertin C37, 1973 Carre Bertin C 37, 1972 Carlton Kermesse, 1981 Peugeot PX 14 Super Competition

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 157 Posts
WGB-

That is a very nice bike. Cyclone, Tange 2, Sugino crankset and Dia Compe 500s for C $100 is amazing. You will like the fine ratcheting action of the Cyclone levers, I believe. Also, Fuji Valite Ouad Butted tubing was a variety of Ishiwata drawn expressly for Fuji.