Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Need some help please

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Need some help please

Old 09-19-20, 03:38 PM
J.P

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need some help please

Hi to everyone,
I need help. I had my 90's MTB leaning against a corner so I decided to convert it to a gravel bike. I started by researching which parts are compatible with the bike. I decided to put the entire Shimano tourney a073 groupset. I ended up having a problem with the tuning so I took it to a bike shop, where the owner told me that I put incompatible parts. He told me that the FC-A073 crankset is incompatible with the FD-A073 front derailleur. Since the front derailleur is incompatible, what should I buy for that crankset?
Old 09-19-20, 03:57 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1786 Post(s)
Liked 1,259 Times in 868 Posts
Maybe because you bought a "set" for a ROAD bike?
Old 09-20-20, 12:41 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by J.P
Hi to everyone,
I need help. I had my 90's MTB leaning against a corner so I decided to convert it to a gravel bike. I started by researching which parts are compatible with the bike. I decided to put the entire Shimano tourney a073 groupset. I ended up having a problem with the tuning so I took it to a bike shop, where the owner told me that I put incompatible parts. He told me that the FC-A073 crankset is incompatible with the FD-A073 front derailleur. Since the front derailleur is incompatible, what should I buy for that crankset?
It's a 50-39-30 crankset?
That FD has a cage designed for a 50T largest chainring, doesn't it? Its cage curve is not a lot tighter, but follows the line of the largest chainring?
If that's the case - check if the angle of the derailleur (how it's mounted on the seat tube) is OK - again, by checking if the cage can be aligned to follow/match the curve of the largest chainring.

If all that is good, I think it should be possible to get it working. Perhaps not as fast/crisp shifting as with higher-end derailleurs, but it should shift.
Old 09-20-20, 12:57 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1786 Post(s)
Liked 1,259 Times in 868 Posts
Originally Posted by Bike Gremlin
It's a 50-39-30 crankset?
That FD has a cage designed for a 50T largest chainring, doesn't it? Its cage curve is not a lot tighter, but follows the line of the largest chainring?
If that's the case - check if the angle of the derailleur (how it's mounted on the seat tube) is OK - again, by checking if the cage can be aligned to follow/match the curve of the largest chainring.

If all that is good, I think it should be possible to get it working. Perhaps not as fast/crisp shifting as with higher-end derailleurs, but it should shift.
OP allegedly bought "entire Shimano tourney a073 groupset", which is "road" for a "mountain" bike.
"How entire" is yet TBD. They would need drop bars instead of flat bars for a starter.
I think the details are too unknown. Bars, BB.....
Old 09-20-20, 02:58 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
OP allegedly bought "entire Shimano tourney a073 groupset", which is "road" for a "mountain" bike.
"How entire" is yet TBD. They would need drop bars instead of flat bars for a starter.
Agreed. Technically: "Tourney A073 groupset" means matching shifters, drivetrain and derailleurs. So I'm "working" with the info available. If that's not the case, I hope OP would clarify. Providing some pictures wouldn't hurt as well.
And certainly - getting a poorly matching BB (axle), for example, that puts cranks too far away from the frame, or too close to it, can affect FD performance. However, I doubt that "FC-A073 crankset is incompatible with the FD-A073 front derailleur". Either OP misunderstood the mechanic, or mechanic misunderstood the OP.
Old 09-20-20, 04:02 AM
J.P

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After a research i so agree with Bike Gremlin and think it is a misunderstanding with the mechanic.
Old 09-20-20, 05:30 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 3,380 Times in 2,045 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Unless we know exactly what is being changed/installed It's just "A Frame".
Old 09-20-20, 05:55 AM
J.P

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Unless we know exactly what is being changed/installed It's just "A Frame".
I've done all that, i changed to a gravel drop handlebar and also changed to a fixed fork.
Old 09-20-20, 03:03 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 610 Times in 375 Posts
What is the actual problem?
Old 09-21-20, 07:25 AM
mitchmellow62

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 41 Posts
My vote is that the "incompatibility" is due to the bottom bracket spindle length. Was the bottom bracket changed? If not, I'm guessing the chainline is too far out and the FD doesn't have enough reach for this set up. OP should research what BB is recommended for the FC-A073.
Old 09-21-20, 02:41 PM
J.P

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good point of view, i never thought about that.
Thanks a lot...