Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Anyone Successfully Ride Their Gravel Bike on Single-Track?

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like :The Dirty Kanza". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Anyone Successfully Ride Their Gravel Bike on Single-Track?

Old 09-17-20, 05:07 PM
mrv 
BIKE RIDE

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58 View Post
(my first two "mountain" bikes (aka bikes with 26 x 2.125 tires) were really before mountain bikes were a thing, right msu2001la?).
the 30 year old Bianchi i picked up for $60 last year is my only trail bike, and the chainstays only clear 2.0in tires..... it's all i got!! (presently my Rockhopper is assigned to camping / touring duty.....)
Old 09-17-20, 08:37 PM
pbass

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by bonsai171 View Post
It's fun riding a gravel bike on singletrack. The mountain bikers wonder why we're riding road bikes LOL.

Dave
Hikers too - funny their expressions when they see a guy on what they think is a road bike bombing down some singletrack!
Old 09-18-20, 09:31 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by mrv View Post
the 30 year old Bianchi i picked up for $60 last year is my only trail bike, and the chainstays only clear 2.0in tires..... it's all i got!! (presently my Rockhopper is assigned to camping / touring duty.....)
Awesome!
I bought a state of the art MTB 30 years ago, and I'm still riding it. I've spent decades "waiting" on the industry to make up their mind (26, no 29, no 27.5, no back to 29) and figure out their standard. In the mean time those bikes have gotten so long/low/slack that they have lost their agility and ability to climb (but are great at downhill), so i end up riding my gravel bike on single track. ;-)
Likes For chas58:
Old 09-18-20, 10:52 AM
HD3andMe
You need a Trail Chicken™

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 60 Posts
In the mean time those bikes have gotten so long/low/slack that they have lost their agility and ability to climb (but are great at downhill), so i end up riding my gravel bike on single track. ;-)

Modern mountain bikes have lost their ability to climb?

Where do people come up with this nonsense?

Old 09-18-20, 02:19 PM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Traitor Crusade

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 31 Posts
Awesome!
I bought a state of the art MTB 30 years ago, and I'm still riding it. I've spent decades "waiting" on the industry to make up their mind (26, no 29, no 27.5, no back to 29) and figure out their standard.
don't hold your breath. those are choices, not a standard. there is no plan for people to "make up their mind"because people like choices and variety. there are many kinds of cars, sneakers, and skis for the same reason that there are many kinds of mountain bikes.

Last edited by mack_turtle; 09-18-20 at 02:31 PM.
Old 09-18-20, 06:16 PM
DarKris

Bikes: Giant Revolt 2 - GRX 1x11 (2020), Giant Toughroad GX 1 - 1x10 (2018), Specialized Hellga - NX 1x12 (2017)

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 23 Posts
So I appreciate everyone sharing their experiences. I will say that after taking both of my gravel bikes to my local bike park, I have a feel for both bikes on rough and slightly technical trails. Last week I rode my Toughroad and today I rode my Revolt, and I felt way more comfortable on my Toughroad ironically. For me, being as heavy as I am, I appreciate having 29" wheels with 23mm wide rims vs 700 x 47mm wheels on 19mm rims. I was a bit more sketched out on the Revolt despite it sailing up any incline & flat surface.

I think I will take my Toughroad to some trails this weekend to see what I "can't" ride on it. Hopefully I will be pleasantly surprised.
Likes For DarKris:
Old 09-19-20, 06:54 AM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 618 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by pbass View Post
Hikers too - funny their expressions when they see a guy on what they think is a road bike bombing down some singletrack!
Add to that the spandex cycling kit, and we're quite a sight on the trail.

Dave
Old 09-19-20, 09:57 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1655 Post(s)
Liked 366 Times in 256 Posts
I’ll weigh in late. The single reason I use my hard tail 29” wheeled, 1X mt. bike for single track is it’s the better choice for single track. My local stuff is super twisty and is not fun on a drop bar bike, the handling is just not as good on a drop bar as on a much wider flat bar. As well, no front suspension makes riding roots painful on the gravel bike. But to each his own, as not everybody’s riding conditions are the same and I’m glad I can own different bikes for different terrain conditions.
Old 09-21-20, 08:56 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by DarKris View Post
So I appreciate everyone sharing their experiences. I will say that after taking both of my gravel bikes to my local bike park, I have a feel for both bikes on rough and slightly technical trails. Last week I rode my Toughroad and today I rode my Revolt, and I felt way more comfortable on my Toughroad ironically. For me, being as heavy as I am, I appreciate having 29" wheels with 23mm wide rims vs 700 x 47mm wheels on 19mm rims. I was a bit more sketched out on the Revolt despite it sailing up any incline & flat surface.

I think I will take my Toughroad to some trails this weekend to see what I "can't" ride on it. Hopefully I will be pleasantly surprised.
Glad to hear it. You'll learn to read the trail, use your body weight, and pick your line and be a better biker because of it. Besides, underbiking is fun (as long as you don't take it too far).
Just don't hit any rocks/roots hard that are bigger than the size of your tire! ;-)
Old 09-21-20, 05:35 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 94 Posts
all the time...
love it..

not easy barely fun....not smart.
Likes For thehammerdog:
Old 09-21-20, 05:52 PM
caloso

Bikes: Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 2305 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 566 Posts
#TeamRimBrake