Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Thread of Cyclo Benelux shifter braze-on

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Thread of Cyclo Benelux shifter braze-on

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-20, 09:30 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
My Jack Taylor from that era uses a Simplex left shifter and French Cyclo right, and seems to take a m5x1.0 thread. If @Kilroy1988 is to be believed (seems right by my reckoning), the French Cyclo and Simplex should be the same as British Cyclo Benelux. The previous owner of my Taylor had put in a 10-24 and it was a poor fit and ruined the thread a bit, but held the shifter on.

It has a lot of 2BA bolts for holding on racks and things. I was able to use 10-32 in place of some missing 2BA bolts if the braze-on was not very deep.
Old 09-18-20, 08:02 AM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
Now things are getting interesting! Thanks so much to C9H13N and scarlson and Kilroy1988. I had no idea that M5 x 1.0 metric thread ever existed -- the "metric coarse" spec is now 0.8 pitch.
Insidious C. : I'm all but certain that the thread pitch is ~1.0 mm, based on measuring 7 threads (got about 7.1 mm). I will try, but will not force, a #10-24 thread to see how sympathique it is.

I found a couple sources for M5 x 1.0 dies, though from what I can tell, they're all sourced from "Qualtech", whose location I cannot pin down. So I could (even if I had to file one down to take the die) rethread a M6 x 1.0 screw, if I can live with a bit of "no thread" near the head. That may not be a problem, because the shifter I have in mind (Simplex Retrofriction) has about a 9 mm deep circular recess beyond the square key seat, while the circular boss on the braze-on is only 6 mm deep. Those shifters project a bit more than standard friction types.

Another approach I just thought of: get some brass or steel rod of the right length, thread from one end with M5 x 1.0, and a bit from the other with M5 x 0.8, then get a couple brass hex nuts or a hex + acorn nut jammed together to act as the "screw head".

Last edited by Charles Wahl; 09-18-20 at 11:15 AM.
Likes For Charles Wahl:
Old 09-18-20, 10:16 AM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
I've been fortunate enough to source my shifters with screws that already work for the applications at hand, but I can assure you that when the time comes I'll be returning to this thread for references!

-Gregory
Old 09-18-20, 03:19 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Originally Posted by Charles Wahl
Now things are getting interesting! Thanks so much to C9H13N and scarlson and Kilroy1988. I had no idea that M5 x 1.0 metric thread ever existed -- the "metric coarse" spec is now 0.8 pitch.
Insidious C. : I'm all but certain that the thread pitch is ~1.0 mm, based on measuring 7 threads (got about 7.1 mm). I will try, but will not force, a #10-24 thread to see how sympathique it is.

I found a couple sources for M5 x 1.0 dies, though from what I can tell, they're all sourced from "Qualtech", whose location I cannot pin down. So I could (even if I had to file one down to take the die) rethread a M6 x 1.0 screw, if I can live with a bit of "no thread" near the head. That may not be a problem, because the shifter I have in mind (Simplex Retrofriction) has about a 9 mm deep circular recess beyond the square key seat, while the circular boss on the braze-on is only 6 mm deep. Those shifters project a bit more than standard friction types.

Another approach I just thought of: get some brass or steel rod of the right length, thread from one end with M5 x 1.0, and a bit from the other with M5 x 0.8, then get a couple brass hex nuts or a hex + acorn nut jammed together to act as the "screw head".
Old Simplex bolts are not hard to come by. These are nearly always m5x1.0, and would be easier than trying to roll your own. Here is one on Ebay. Doesn't say the pitch, but I'm nearly confident it's m5x1.0. They are thick on the ground. For some more bling, you can get the Huret D-rings. These ones say specifically that they're m5x1.0.
Old 09-18-20, 07:24 PM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Unfortunately, I strongly suspect that either of these is not long enough for my particular situation: I want to install Simplex Retrofriction shifters, if possible, and those require longer screws -- I understand that I'm just being difficult now, as my spouse often reminds me. But thanks for the info, anyway.

Last edited by Charles Wahl; 09-18-20 at 07:27 PM.
Old 09-21-20, 08:06 PM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Well, many thanks to C9H13N who kindly sent me a couple Simplex shifter friction screws, M5 x 1.0, and they fit beautifully. So this mystery is solved.
Likes For Charles Wahl:
Old 09-22-20, 12:01 AM
scarlson 

Good to know you at least know what you're dealing with! Let me know if you find a decent 5x1.0 die! I'm interested in one too if the price is right.