Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Nova Eroica on a C&V Bike?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-19, 02:15 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1947 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 1,109 Posts

Anybody doing the Saturday ride? I don't do carbon or disks so the big difference for me is clipless pedals, indexed shifting, dual pivot brakes, and granny/gravel gearing. I might soup up my Competition G.S. or yesterday I was blinded with the idea of doing a drop bar conversion and using my '90 Univega Alpina Team. What do you think?

Old 12-23-19, 04:16 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Que es?
Old 12-23-19, 05:54 PM
Classtime 

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Que es?
The Eroica people have included in their Eroica weekends a ride for modern bikes on a course quite similar to the Eroica vintage routes. It is called Nova Eroica and most folks ride it on the newest and latest all-road/gravel/whatever bikes.
https://vimeo.com/335827411
Old 12-23-19, 05:59 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts
1- always love the early 90s univega splatter/marble paints.
2- nice build. What is that cage bag?
3- that saddle nose would be digging where I dont like.
4- I didnt know eroica went modern, but am not surprised. They were leaving a huge amount of revenue on the table and now they can get paying customers for old, new, and both.
Old 12-23-19, 06:13 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
at least for the one in CA.USA... I thought the Nova was the old Coastal route.. which I did a few years ago on my Vintage bike. I didn't enjoy many parts of it (downhill gravel comes to mind) I would have had a blast with my gravel bike.
Old 12-23-19, 06:28 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4337 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
¿Qué es?
Fixed
Fixed right.
Old 12-23-19, 06:59 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
The Eroica people have included in their Eroica weekends a ride for modern bikes on a course quite similar to the Eroica vintage routes. It is called Nova Eroica and most folks ride it on the newest and latest all-road/gravel/whatever bikes.
https://vimeo.com/335827411
Aah, now I comprende.

Love the 'vega. Wish he'd have lived longer.
Old 12-23-19, 08:07 PM
Classtime 

I was thinking that some C&V'ers who liked the longer courses but would enjoy them more on a modern bike could do a shorter vintage ride on Sunday after doing The Nova on Saturday.

That bag is Pete's Costa Rica Dark: ground for espresso. I was enjoying my complementary cup and the scenery before heading home.
Old 12-23-19, 09:07 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,795 Times in 2,281 Posts
Flippin' the script.

I like it.
Old 12-23-19, 09:34 PM
mech986 

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Plenty of people doing both. Always a nice ride either way depending on how competitive or social you want to be. As long as you know your goals, pushing your limits is part and parcel to your Eroica experience.

Here’s Juliet Elliot’s runs from last year:
Nova:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0T77wZQD54Q

Classic:

Old 12-23-19, 11:35 PM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 327 Posts
Im doing Both rides myself.

Figured since I was going to be in Cambria for the weekend, might as well take advantage of the cool situation and get some good riding in. Im doing the L'Eroica ride on my 80's Moser with period correct parts. The Nova Ride I'm going to do on my 90's Era Pinarello Gavia with 9 speed Campy Chorus and Look pedals.I going to mount some Pasela tires as they have a little bit better tread pattern for the dirt sections, but besides the tires Im doing nothing different to the bike.

Im leaving my LOOK carbon bike at home as I dont want to take A chance and dump it in the dirt sections.
Likes For Manny66:
Old 12-23-19, 11:57 PM
Choke 
Disciple of St. Tullio

Bikes: Ciöcc, Bianchi, DeRosa, Eddy Merckx, Frejus, Hampsten, Kondor, Losa, Magni, Pegoretti, Pelizzoli, Pogliaghi, Scapin

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 140 Posts
Heh....several C&Vers made that video. Where she's talking about wearing a helmet (3:39) bikingshearer (Brooklyn jersey), Kabuki12 (yellow jersey) and Straightblock (blue jersey) are in the background. Later, at 5:15 you can see my back (Cynar jersey) and that is Andy_K on the edge of the screen in the Brooklyn jersey.
Old 12-24-19, 04:12 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
I was hoping "NOVA" meant Northern Virginia. I'd love to do one of those rides but Cali is too far to go for it.
Likes For nomadmax:
Old 01-15-20, 07:16 AM
Classtime 

Just as I was feeling a bit less anxious about back to back long rides, I get the Email today that there are now 2 options for the Nova ride:
72 miles or 97. I wonder what is left out of one and what is added to the other.
Old 01-16-20, 07:10 AM
mech986 

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
Just as I was feeling a bit less anxious about back to back long rides, I get the Email today that there are now 2 options for the Nova ride:
72 miles or 97. I wonder what is left out of one and what is added to the other.
Hmm, could you copy the email to this thread and who it’s from? There is no change to the Nova Eroica California web routes...yet. However, it would not surprise me at all if they decided to offfer some variety to the Nova riders and something different from last year to provide a bit more challenge.

My guess would be the 72 mile route to closely mimic last year’s Classic ride’s Santa Lucia route, shortening it just a bit because of the potentially moved start-finish. It is the Coastal route minus Kiler Canyon climb.

I’ll also guess that a new 97 mile route may offer a more “heroic” type ride with a direct route inland from Santa Rita summit and stops at Olea Farms (mmm, Olive oil French Fries) and Cass Winery before moving on to Kiler Canyon, Halter Ranch stop, and Cypress Mountain. That would be a slightly shorter version of the current Classic Heroic route.

I like both ideas to attract more riders and give last years riders a near Century challenge. It also gives Eroica a chance to redeem itself on the issue of not enough and not good enough food at stops on the way, at least on the Nova rides (and on the Classic short Piedras Blancas ride).
Old 01-16-20, 07:27 AM
Classtime 

Nova Eroica California 2020 expands to two rides

Last year Eroica California expanded with the addition of Nova Eroica to provide an 82-mile mixed terrain challenge for those who prefer to pedal modern day bikes. With two days on the ride menu – Nova and Classic - and six ride options, Eroica California serves up something for everyone.

The Classic ride on pre-1987 bicycles serves up four ride options of 33, 74, 81 and 108-mile courses. Less than 3 weeks remain for Early Bird registration at $130.

Back and better is Nova Eroica California with two new ride options of 97 and 72 miles. If you’ve never ridden these roads, come see why the New York Times has put this central coast locale on its list of ’52 Places to go in 2020’.

Both Nova Eroica ride options traverse quality roads with minimal traffic, vineyard roads, stunning ocean views, green rolling hills that will have been perfectly cured and quenched by nature, and first class rest stops. With 15 miles added to last year’s route, the 97-mile mixed terrain Nova includes nearly 30 miles of gravel, 7500 feet of climbing and awe-inspiring views. The Nova short-cut, by no means child’s play, preserves the larger route’s two longest stretches of gravel with nearly twenty miles of fast paced dirt and 6000 feet of climbing.

A taste of Tuscany awaits you - right here on the coast of California. Get an event on your 2020 ride calendar and register now for one of six Eroica and Nova Eroica ride options. Until next time, alla prossima.