Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Brooks B17 Saddle Ordered! :)

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Brooks B17 Saddle Ordered! :)

Old 05-03-20, 09:12 AM
Jinkster

Bikes: 2013 Specialized CrossTrail Disc,2004 Giant OCR3,1999 Trek Mountain Track Sport 800

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 26 Posts
Brooks B17 Saddle...Seat In/Initial Review

I'm excited because after years of wondering?...I just ordered myself a Black/Steel B17 Standard Saddle this morning for my 2013 Specialized Crosstrail Disc.

I purchased and mounted a Specialized "Toupe" saddle several years ago and after numerous adjustments found it's "Sweet Spot" but even as such?....it's like riding with 3/16ths" of gel/foam padding between my butt and a rock and it will never "break-in" or improve.

I have high hopes this B17 will eventually (if not initially) prove to offer a higher level of comfort.

Last edited by Jinkster; 05-06-20 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Update
Likes For Jinkster:
Old 05-03-20, 10:43 AM
Jinkster

Bikes: 2013 Specialized CrossTrail Disc,2004 Giant OCR3,1999 Trek Mountain Track Sport 800

Well after watching some utoob reviews that order changed real quick...went with the "Imperial" (cut & laced) B17
Likes For Jinkster:
Old 05-04-20, 07:51 AM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 380 Posts
Congrats on your purchase. I have been using Brooks saddle for the last 10 years (after two decades of scoffing them), and I love them. I have always ridden the regular B17, without any cutouts or such, and find it comfortable enough to go on fairly long rides without needing cycling shorts. These saddles can be very hard when new, and will remain hard over the first couple weeks of use. Then they soften up and form to your backside. If you have uneven sit bones or things like that, the B17 will adjust itself to fit. In time they become very comfortable.
Likes For 50PlusCycling:
Old 05-04-20, 09:31 AM
probe1957

Bikes: 2020 Scott Speedster 10 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
I have never understood the appeal of Brooks. I have heard they can take 500 miles to break in and are absolute torture during that time. Why? There are other choices that just work.
Likes For probe1957:
Old 05-04-20, 09:42 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Why Brooks? I've tried other saddles that were less comfortable than a B-17 after 500 miles (one of the reasons I tried the B-17). I've tried a saddle that was less comfortable than a B-17 when new, and it never got better. I've never found a saddle that was more comfortable after breaking in that a B-17, and I haven't found the break-in to be that onerous.

YAMV.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 05-04-20, 03:38 PM
Jinkster

Originally Posted by probe1957
I have never understood the appeal of Brooks. I have heard they can take 500 miles to break in and are absolute torture during that time. Why? There are other choices that just work.
Wish I knew this thread was going to happen a couple weeks ago...I'd of taken a pic of the 1/2 dozen saddles I bought at the rate of about 1 a year that didn't work that I tossed in the round file cleaning out the garage and that's what started me thinking that maybe a saddle....

"That Has The Ability to Break-in"

might be better than all those that absolutely do not...ever.
Old 05-04-20, 03:41 PM
Jinkster

Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
Congrats on your purchase. I have been using Brooks saddle for the last 10 years (after two decades of scoffing them), and I love them. I have always ridden the regular B17, without any cutouts or such, and find it comfortable enough to go on fairly long rides without needing cycling shorts. These saddles can be very hard when new, and will remain hard over the first couple weeks of use. Then they soften up and form to your backside. If you have uneven sit bones or things like that, the B17 will adjust itself to fit. In time they become very comfortable.
Thanks for sharing that and a couple weeks of hard?....will be a walk in the park compared to a year of Romin followed by a year of Toupe! LOL!
Likes For Jinkster:
Old 05-04-20, 03:41 PM
probe1957

Originally Posted by Jinkster
Wish I knew this thread was going to happen a couple weeks ago...I'd of taken a pic of the 1/2 dozen saddles I bought at the rate of about 1 a year that didn't work that I tossed in the round file cleaning out the garage and that's what started me thinking that maybe a saddle....

"That Has The Ability to Break-in"

might be better than all those that absolutely do not...ever.
Maybe. Maybe not. This one might end up in the "round file" with the rest. But there is certainly a almost cult-like following.
Old 05-04-20, 03:46 PM
Jinkster

Maybe. Maybe not. This one might end up in the "round file" with the rest. But there is certainly a almost cult-like following.
Well my first hand experience will begin in about a week and shortly after?...my suppositions will be put to rest forever...One way or another.
Old 05-04-20, 07:18 PM
probe1957

I certainly hope it works out for you. Good luck.
Likes For probe1957:
Old 05-04-20, 09:34 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1924 Post(s)
Liked 1,954 Times in 1,086 Posts
Sometimes a Brooks is comfy from the first ride. For, aft, and tilt make difference so have your multitool in your jersey pocket on the first few rides.
Old 05-04-20, 10:03 PM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
Sometimes a Brooks is comfy from the first ride. For, aft, and tilt make difference so have your multitool in your jersey pocket on the first few rides.
I think that's correct. The saddle should be adjusted fore and aft and tilt so that you don't tend to slide forward, which is no fun, but not so much that the nose of the saddle "goes for the goods." Minor adjustments can make a big difference.

Something else I read here recently is that not everyone rides with the same torso angle and that people who tend to bend above the pelvis conform better to a Brooks saddle while people who tend to lean their pelvis don't have as much contact between the saddle and the "sit bones." Understanding this issue is beyond my epertise, but I do know that I am a Brooks fan and that my riding position is such that I leave significant dimples in my saddles. For what that's worth.

Saddle width can also be important. A standard width B17 is fine for me, but a narrow B17 is much better and chafes less. And, it's not just a matter of butt size as someone can have a pretty broad butt without having a wide pelvis.

Other Brooks saddle shapes may be more or less to someone's liking. The Swift, for me, is very comfortable right away, but seems to change shape faster than a B17 and I'm not sure that's good. I've been putting a lot of miles on a Colt recenty and am pretty much convinced that it's too hard. After 25 to 30 miles it's giving me pains that the Swift and B17 (narrow or standard) just do not.

So, for those who don't get Brooks saddles, ride what suits you. Happy butts make for happy cycling.
Likes For desconhecido:
Old 05-05-20, 06:38 PM
Jinkster

Originally Posted by Classtime
Originally Posted by desconhecido
I think that's correct. The saddle should be adjusted fore and aft and tilt so that you don't tend to slide forward, which is no fun, but not so much that the nose of the saddle "goes for the goods." Minor adjustments can make a big difference....
I just got back from a casual evening ride to my daughters house and back with the above comments in mind and had to chuckle thinking about how many times I adjusted this current Toupe saddle until I got it to the highly refined position it's currently at where my seat angle is steep enough to be just shy of bobbling my boys yet shallow enough to support my sit bones without the sliding forward feeling.

Now mind you I'm on a Crosstrail Hybrid where my upper torso is only in the 25-30deg range...nose of my seat is tipped down maybe 3-5 degs and while tolerable?...it still rings of a rock with a thin layer of foam between.
Old 05-05-20, 07:51 PM
KJK

Bikes: 2022 Trek Domane SLR 7, 2017 Ridley Fenix SL Disc, 1982 Bianchi Super Leggera

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Well after watching some utoob reviews that order changed real quick...went with the "Imperial" (cut & laced) B17
That's a good choice. I have one and it's amazing how you can really fine tune it with the laces.
Old 05-05-20, 07:56 PM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
It first I was prepared for some serious misinformation, but to be honest, my Brooks did in fact take probably a good 500 miles to break in, and at least the first couple hundred miles of that were in fact torture.

The "why" is that after it finally breaks in it's amazing. I can't claim to have tried a very large and varied assortment of saddles, but I've ridden several conventional road bike saddles before the Brooks, and it smashes them all for long-endurance comfort. With the various discomforts we often deal with on long rides, it's great that the saddle is no longer one of them for me. If you've got non-Brooks style saddles that check that box for you, then you're all set. I'm a Brooks fanboy though. It's the saddle, though, not the company, and I've looked around at other leather saddles like Gilles Berthoud, but not tried any yet. When I've spent the time looking at these and thinking about it, I always end up just recognizing that nothing's broke and needs fixing.
Old 05-05-20, 08:03 PM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
Well my first hand experience will begin in about a week and shortly after?...my suppositions will be put to rest forever...One way or another.
Did you get that leather conditioning waxy/oily goop from Brooks as well? I slathered that on liberally several times when I first got it. All I can say is I'll be interested in hearing about your first ride on the Brooks. My first ride on it felt like I was straddling a concrete telephone poll. I've read others who thought it was comfortable from the first ride, but that wasn't my experience. I'm glad to say, though, that it eventually broke in or my body broke itself in over the Brooks or whatever it is that happens, and now it's the most comfortable saddle I've ever ridden. I'm a card-carrying member of the leather saddle cult.
Old 05-06-20, 11:31 AM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 482 Posts
I notice that the folks complaining about "Brooks torture" never specify which model of Brooks they're talking about, or say things like "I've heard that...". There's a huge difference between the different models of Brooks saddles so comments on one model are irrelevant to the others. For myself, I have owned several Brooks Pros in the past and felt that they never did break in and were somewhat of a torture device for long days in the saddle. I think this is largely because they were designed for "in the drops" racing, but many vintage bikes (racing, touring, otherwise) came with them as standard so they developed a reputation for uncomfortableness among those who were not racers. The B-17 on the other hand (and especially the Imperial) is a touring saddle, with softer, thinner leather (increasing its comfort but sadly resulting in it wearing out faster) and is worlds apart from the Pro.

I bought into the marketing BS of the foam-over-plastic saddle makers for many years, but could never get comfortable on long or multi-day rides, no matter what "high tech" saddle I bought. Then, I bought a B-17 Imperial a few years ago and was instantly more comfortable, with comfortableness improving over the next few weeks. Nowadays I don't even notice my saddle. I realize that not everyone will have this experience, and some may be more comfortable on a narrower B-17N, but I'm now a happy member of the B-17 "cult" (as is almost every long distance tourist I see on the Pacific Coast Highway).
Likes For davester:
Old 05-06-20, 05:06 PM
Bluesfrog

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 18 Posts
I never wore one out and have had three B-17s and one now with springs on a Trek Verve+2. The +2 has no suspension and I was going to do a lot of shopping and such so decided to get the sprung saddle. All my bikes will eventually have Brooks saddles. One is a folder and I have one beater bike that is a lower priced mountain bike with only a front suspension fork. I have plans to go Electric powered on my old Trek 520 with 6000+ miles on it. It will need the B-17 to stay on it with a high powered bike. Safety and Be Well, Bluesfrog.
Old 05-06-20, 05:41 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 799 Times in 467 Posts
"I've heard that..."

I remember a quote from somewhere.."..some people live their lives based on what they've heard.."

I jumped into Brooks saddles last year. I picked up a few..a std B17, one B17 Imperial, one C17 carved.

All of them were the most comfortable saddles I've come across, right out of the box. The least comfortable is the C17, though with a sight nose-down attitude it's still very good. The leather ones are wonderful.

The previous most-comfortable saddle was a Selle TRK. I have wide sit-bones(141mm). The Selle was 155mm wide, the Brooks are 165-ish(?).
Old 05-06-20, 06:22 PM
Jinkster

My B17 Imperial Arrived!

and I couldn't help but chuckle when I unboxed it as I thought of all the comments regarding how hard a Brooks Saddle is and dang if I'm absolutely convinced they are cause mine was hard as a rock...for about the first 30 minutes...and now I'll explain.

First let me say I have a modest amount of experience and knowledge about leather and I don't know if it's how Brooks pressure molds their leather or maybe the dying process but the leather was like a camel 10 days out from the last oasis and drier than dry which?...is why it was so dang hard...almost like petrified leather! LOL!

As I unlaced the unit (so I could gain full access to it's oh so dry underside) and began to squeeze out the stingy amount of Proofide?...I gasped as before I could spread it over all the underside surface?...the dry leather drank it up like pouring water on sand!

Luckily?...I know a little something about leather especially the high dollar stuff like my Ledrie Saddle Bags that came with a product much like Proofide called "Ledrie Leather Grease" which is used for waterproofing their expensive leather saddlebags and this Brooks saddle drank up about 1/4 can of it along with the Proofide.

The only way water can damage leather is if the leather has been left in a state that allows it to ABSORB the water...which is why I continued to slather on the conditioner (massaging it in) until it reached what seemed to be a "Saturation Point" and by the time I did my fancy two-tone lacing job?...even the final thin film of conditioner that resisted absorption had all but saturated into the saddles leather underside...but it will need repeated application as the conditioner migrates deeper into the leather.

It was because of ^^THE ABOVE"^^ that I shook my head thinking (re: knowing) that Brooks probably gets a bad rap with all these "Rock Hard Saddle" & "Painfully Long Break-in" comments because of the sparse amount of Proofide Conditioner they initailly supply and then add in a light body weight rider?...and yep....there's a killer recipe for poor reviews.

Profile Wise?: There's a couple pix of my size155 Specialized "Toupe" saddle sitting on top of my conditioned and tightly laced B17 and is eclipsing the Brooks in a nearly "Line-On-Line" fashion (perimeter wise)

A short ride proved that even brand new out of the box and tightly laced?...my 200lb butt says the B17 Imperial offered up a cushier ride over surface irregularities as compared to the Toupe saddle it replaced (despite zero break-in)

But?...the big take-away I got from the short first ride?...came when it was time to "DISMOUNT"....where the Full Bodied, Smooth Leather B17 didn't even think about snagging my clothing as I able to executed very smooth dismount and this alone was worth the price of admission because my Toupe Saddle?...not only had thin outer edges but it has these winged cusps that roll downward in a "HOOK YOUR SHORTS" fashion at the saddles widest point which always caused me anxiety and some very ungraceful dismounts...thanks to the B17's full body contour?...those days are over.

There's some poix of those Hooked Cusps I speak of on the toupe but bottom line?...I love the B17 and it ain't even broke-in at all yet...my only regret?...I should of bought one long ago!

Likes For Jinkster:
Old 05-06-20, 08:49 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 799 Times in 467 Posts
Hope it works out. One of the surest ways to kill a Brooks saddle is too much conditioner or the wrong kind. You have the right kind..but..

Do some research on BF about such things..
Old 05-06-20, 09:16 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
There was a survey of equipment choices used by RUSA riders in the 2007 Paris Brest Paris ride. A very large percentage of them used https://postrestant.co.uk/wp-content/...quipsurvey.pdf
Old 05-07-20, 04:35 AM
Jinkster

Originally Posted by fishboat
Hope it works out. One of the surest ways to kill a Brooks saddle is too much conditioner or the wrong kind. You have the right kind..but..

Do some research on BF about such things..
It'll be fine but thanks for the concern.
Old 05-07-20, 06:05 AM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 380 Posts

I used to think the same thing. I always thought Brooks saddles were for middle-age cycle tourists who still used panniers, toe clips, and straps. Then I started using one. I saw the light.
Likes For 50PlusCycling:
Old 05-07-20, 01:05 PM
probe1957

Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
I used to think the same thing. I always thought Brooks saddles were for middle-age cycle tourists who still used panniers, toe clips, and straps. Then I started using one. I saw the light.
I resemble that remark.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.