Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Options for 700c wheels on old french bike with narrow frame spacing

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 05-20-20, 04:38 AM
jambon

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi there ,

I have an old perugeot , carbolite steel ,made for 27 x 1 1/4 inch wheels , it has 125 spacing at rear and something like 98 or so up front.

Id like to put a modern wheelset in there to run as a singlespeed but I'd like to avoid coldsetting the frame.

What are my options ? Could I play around with spacers , dishing and shorten axles and source QR levers to achieve this ?

Thanks ,

J
Old 05-20-20, 05:50 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4311 Post(s)
Liked 2,954 Times in 1,601 Posts
98/125 to 100/126 is close enough to not need cold setting...it'll just fit... and probably 100/126 was the original spec anyway.
Old 05-20-20, 08:26 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 409 Posts
But wait. If by "modern wheelset" you're referring to 700c...you might have a problem with rim brakes. A 700c wheel has a smaller circumference than a 27" wheel. If the frame was constructed for 27" wheels and you put a 700c on it...the brake arms may not be long enough to adjust the pads out far enough to reach the rims. Check that before you purchase the wheels. There are brake calipers available with longer arms specifically for this situation. But just pointing out that you may be setting yourself up for a purchase of new calipers with this rework.

Dan
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 05-20-20, 08:55 AM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
A carbolite Peugeot is not rare or collectible enough to be worried about something as trivial as re-spacing the frame and fork a couple millimeters. Or, as Scott said, just ease the new wheels in there. It'll work fine.

If you have a good mechanic do the work it's a nice opportunity to make sure the frame and fork are both straight, and have the dropouts aligned if necessary.

Originally Posted by _ForceD_
But wait. If by "modern wheelset" you're referring to 700c...you might have a problem with rim brakes. A 700c wheel has a smaller circumference than a 27" wheel. If the frame was constructed for 27" wheels and you put a 700c on it...the brake arms may not be long enough to adjust the pads out far enough to reach the rims.
The pads only have to move down 4mm and there is almost always enough adjustment in them. But it's still a good idea to check.
Old 05-20-20, 08:56 AM
jambon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
But wait. If by "modern wheelset" you're referring to 700c...you might have a problem with rim brakes. A 700c wheel has a smaller circumference than a 27" wheel. If the frame was constructed for 27" wheels and you put a 700c on it...the brake arms may not be long enough to adjust the pads out far enough to reach the rims. Check that before you purchase the wheels. There are brake calipers available with longer arms specifically for this situation. But just pointing out that you may be setting yourself up for a purchase of new calipers with this rework.

Dan
Dan thanks for the heads up , I have special long arm calipers as you suggested to get around this issue.
Old 05-20-20, 08:57 AM
jambon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
98/125 to 100/126 is close enough to not need cold setting...it'll just fit... and probably 100/126 was the original spec anyway.
Do you mean try put a 135 or 130mm rear wheel in there ? or do you mean try find a rare 125mm 700 c axled wheel ? Thanks
Old 05-20-20, 08:59 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
Originally Posted by jambon
Dan thanks for the heads up , I have special long arm calipers as you suggested to get around this issue.
You likely do not need special brakes assuming you have the original center pull brakes (likely weinmann but maybe Mafac if an older Peugeot). Either of those brakes have sufficient reach for a 700c conversion.

Last edited by bikemig; 05-20-20 at 09:03 AM.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 05-20-20, 09:23 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Do you mean try put a 135 or 130mm rear wheel in there ? or do you mean try find a rare 125mm 700 c axled wheel ? Thanks
Different Scott here: there are quite a few 126mm-spaced freewheel rear wheels available, get one of those.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-20-20, 01:27 PM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
Check out Velomine. Plenty of good 126(rear) wheelsets, and great service.
Old 05-20-20, 03:03 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 235 Posts
Again it's almost certainly supposed to be 100/126, and regardless that'll fit effortlessly anyways. You might be able to space a 120mm single speed wheel to 126 with spacers assuming the axle is long enough, or order a longer axle with the same size and pitch. This is probably what I would do. Or on the cheap you could find an older 126mm freewheel wheel, which will have the slight disadvantage of being somewhat dished (as opposed to respacing a ss/fg hub).

There's also https://velo-orange.com/products/gra...fixed-hub-rear .
Old 05-21-20, 11:23 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4311 Post(s)
Liked 2,954 Times in 1,601 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Different Scott here: there are quite a few 126mm-spaced freewheel rear wheels available, get one of those.
Yeah, that's what I meant. 126mm threaded hub and a SS freewheel. That's what practically anyone would do with your objective. Although you could go flip-flop and find out that you love fixed gear riding.

Single speeds on a cassette hub would require some fitting issues for the 130mm OLD, would almost certainly be more expensive, and would look awkward too.

Last edited by DiabloScott; 05-21-20 at 11:29 AM.
Old 05-22-20, 10:18 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26250 Post(s)
Liked 10,232 Times in 7,101 Posts
Hi there ,

I have an old perugeot , carbolite steel ,made for 27 x 1 1/4 inch wheels , it has 125 spacing at rear and something like 98 or so up front.

Id like to put a modern wheelset in there to run as a singlespeed but I'd like to avoid coldsetting the frame.

What are my options ? Could I play around with spacers , dishing and shorten axles and source QR levers to achieve this ?

Thanks ,

J
...your single best option is the one you have initially ruled out. At the same time the spacing is reset, you can check the alignment, which is often a little off on a bike this old. There's no good reason not to simply respace and realign the dropouts/fork ends other than perhaps a lack of access to the proper tools, or the unavailability of someone with experience to perform the work.

That said, there are many ways to achieve your objective, as already stated in many responses above. But respacing a Carbolite frame is pretty easily accomplished.