Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Frame Builders Suggestions (South East)

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-20, 01:18 AM
DoradoJim

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Any builders in the South Eastern US that could build me a relaxed off road on road touring bike. Been looking online and most builders are on the west coast which causes me to work via internet and phone.

Just sold an off the shelf Awol Elite and want to select my components, and braze ons, as opposed to buying another off the shelf bicycle. Many cycling shops in the area are not geared to the gravel, touring, or commuter bike industry and actually have little or no stock or even business hours due to the Covid.
Old 07-06-20, 04:42 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
Check out Nate Zukas. Home Page
Old 07-06-20, 04:45 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Alan Wanta in Florida.
Old 07-07-20, 06:48 PM
DoradoJim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone have any feedback on the Co Motion Americano
Old 07-07-20, 07:01 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
DoradoJim: welcome to the forum. All the CoMotion frames I have seen have been competently built. What do you want to do with the frame?
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 07-12-20, 06:49 AM
DoradoJim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Recreational riding and light loaded touring is my goal...

Had been looking at a Co-Motion Cascadia, but had a bad experience with the shop that I was working with for fitting and support. Since I sold my AWOL that was professionally fitted, I thought I located a shop that could help and fit me as well as build the bike and make future adjustments. After talking to the representative on the phone I went to get fitted and the salesmen/fitter said he "did not want to get up in my Junk, to measure me" and wanted me to sit on a Giant Carbon fiber gravel bike to fit me? To top it off the same guy wanted a 10%, yes that's right a 10 % fitting fee of my total bike cost... WTF.

So I am very soured on the LBS and the looking at different bikes ones again.......
Old 07-12-20, 09:52 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Sounds like a poor shop experience. Given today's pandemic crush of demand on the LBS I am less surprised but still bothered by this seemingly profit focused policy. I will say that using an in house bike for a fitting mule is not all that uncommon. I take it that you didn't have your own bike to use for the fitting? That's the first choice for most fitters. Did you record the fit specs on the AWOL? Did this shop do that fit too? In our shop a fit is part of the cost of a new bike, as in no upcharge from MSRP. Andy
Old 07-13-20, 07:52 PM
DoradoJim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I bought the AWOL in SLT and had it fit locally at a specialized shop. I sold the bike just 2 weeks ago and called the shop that did the fitting and they have no records. Not sure what I will do next with the COVID. Don't want to waste my time at another shop like this....... Gives a bad name to LBS..... Thinking of trying to go to Eugene Oregon for a few days and bypassing this process....
Old 07-21-20, 10:22 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,813 Times in 1,536 Posts
Originally Posted by DoradoJim
Any builders in the South Eastern US that could build me a relaxed off road on road touring bike. Been looking online and most builders are on the west coast which causes me to work via internet and phone.

Just sold an off the shelf Awol Elite and want to select my components, and braze ons, as opposed to buying another off the shelf bicycle. Many cycling shops in the area are not geared to the gravel, touring, or commuter bike industry and actually have little or no stock or even business hours due to the Covid.
Dave Kirk is in Montana and does 99% of his work remotely. one problem may be that you sold your good fitting bike, I am pretty sure he (and guess other builders) want to see what your current set up looks like.....work a shot

Kirk Frameworks | Custom Bicycles