Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Crank length

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Crank length

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-20, 11:56 AM
LeftyS7

Bikes: Giant Explore E-2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Question Crank length

One of my legs is a 1/2" longer than the other. Should I get a crank that is 1/2" longer for that leg?
Old 07-14-20, 01:43 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
There is different opinion on that. Seems one way to handle it, but there might be better ways. I think some that actually ride with the same issue commented in this thread. Maybe they'll be back to give you some thoughts on the subject.

https://www.bikeforums.net/fitting-y...screpancy.html

If you use the same crank lengths then I'd think you'd want to size the saddle height by the shorter leg unless something else is done to correct that difference.

Last edited by Iride01; 07-14-20 at 01:46 PM.
Old 07-14-20, 01:56 PM
LeftyS7

That's what I've done.
Old 07-14-20, 02:14 PM
motorthings

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
it depends on where the leg length difference is, and if it is functional or skeletal.
i have a 6mm leg length discrepancy that is pretty evenly distributed between my femur and tibia, and a combination of shim between cleat and shoe, and slightly different fore/aft cleat placement seems to do the trick.
adjusting your cleat in that way would seem to be the least expensive and easily modified method.
once you figure out what works, you could see if it translates to a crankarm length change instead.
Old 07-14-20, 02:26 PM
LeftyS7

Thanks, I don't use cleats.

I've never measured femur and tibia lengths, I'll have to do that.
Old 07-14-20, 02:50 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Smile

2.. ways to do it. A) build up the pedal on one side, or B) shorter crank on that side ( buying different arm length on the left would be cheaper)

of course B foot motion is circular A is a bit of a vertical Oval Perhaps a mix would work ?

Sports orthopedist would be a better resource than us, here...

{but the cost is free, opinoins are of equal value..

/..

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-14-20 at 03:04 PM.
Old 07-31-20, 12:16 PM
motorthings

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
after thinking about this issue a bit more, i think you may not have considered the all the effects of a different length crankarm...
geometrically speaking, a shorter crankarm would result in a smaller diameter circle of foot travel for that side, which means you would be simulating a leg that is shorter at the bottom of the pedal stroke, but longer at the top of the pedal stroke. (and a mixture of the two at other crank angles)
what i think you are looking for (on the short leg side) is a method that takes the existing diameter circle of foot travel and offsets it only upward, simulating a leg that is shorter at the bottom of the pedal stroke, and shorter at the top of the pedal stroke.
this is why building up the pedal on the short leg side is the only simple/effective solution (barring use of cleats)
Old 08-07-20, 08:09 PM
Clem von Jones

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
How about building up one sole of dedicated bike shoes with a half inch of firm polyurethane foam? Maybe a cobbler could do it to a pair of Chinamart sneakers. Use these shoes with a large platform BMX-style pegged pedals.
Old 08-07-20, 10:48 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I had a fitting with our local high-end physical therapist/bike trainer. One of the things I wanted him to explore was that I thought I had one leg longer than the other. We talked about various ways of accommodating that. Basically, he said ignore it. Then he measured me and discovered that I didn't have legs of differing lengths. It seemed like I did because I have very uneven physical development in my torso from decades of work. That causes my pelvis to try to tilt when I'm on the bike and makes it seem like my legs are different lengths. Anyway, first get measured. Then think about it. Could be my guy is right. When I tried shimming one foot to even things out, it became quickly apparent that knee was coming up higher and that wasn't good either. So the solution, if any, might depend on whether the discrepancy, if any, is in femur or tibia.
Old 08-16-20, 09:49 AM
LeftyS7

Interesting, but I'm now wearing two different shoes. One has an 1/2" thicker sole than the other. Seems like both legs now get the same workout.