Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Lacquer Painting

Old 08-13-20, 07:35 PM
L456

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lacquer Painting

I recently have started the painting process for a pretty old road hike. I’m planning on stripping it down to raw metal and spray painting it with lacquer. I have a couple questions though:

Do I need a primer?

If so, will any primer work ? I bought a rust primer that doesn’t have much information in the bottle.

How many layers will I need?

Thanks
Old 08-14-20, 08:37 AM
kombiguy

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Yes, you need a primer. First, a self-etching primer. Then a high-build primer, which you sand down to get a smooth surface. Then, a sealer. Then your color coats, then a clear coat. Anywhere between 5-9 coats, depending on how many coats of high-build you use.
Old 08-14-20, 09:03 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Bet there is information on painting on the internet. look for the car restoring sites.
Old 08-14-20, 09:27 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 758 Times in 407 Posts
Before you spray...I would suggest looking into powder coating (unless you want to do multiple colors...I don't think that's possible). For the price...I paid $150 and that included the sandblasting and powdercoating. Very satisfied with the finish.

Dan
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 08-14-20, 12:24 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
Since you're asking I'm thinking you don't have very much painting experience. How are you planning to apply the paint?

This sounds to me like a wheel building project - not worth doing except for the satisfaction of doing it yourself.
Old 08-14-20, 01:39 PM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 152 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Since you're asking I'm thinking you don't have very much painting experience. How are you planning to apply the paint?

This sounds to me like a wheel building project - not worth doing except for the satisfaction of doing it yourself.

Unless you want the experience or are doing a restoration that originally used lacquer there is no point in using it. Much better paints (easier to spray, nicer finish, more durable finish) are available than lacquer.
Likes For RGMN:
Old 08-14-20, 01:52 PM
TheatreOfNoise

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SL 6 Stealth Black

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Check out channel ETOE on YouTube - has excellent frame painting videos.
Old 08-14-20, 05:08 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
I've painted a number of frames with lacquer (both nitrocellulose and acrylic) with great results. Lacquer is relatively easy to work with and any mistakes can be easily fixed. That said, I have found that lacquer finishes are not as resilient to damage as powder coating, 2 part PU enamel, etc. You will have to put some work into it. The stripping and sanding will have to be thorough because any flaw will probably telegraph through. Primer is essential - use what's recommended for the lacquer you plan to use. And prep the frame per the same recommendations prior to shooting. Color coats and top coats are easily applied. I usually do 3 color with wet sanding before and after the third. Clear coats - I'd do at least five to get a good build up. Wet sand between the last 4-5 coats. Plan on spending some time with fine grits on the final coat working up to 2000 (or higher). Finish the polish with compound. With lacquer, it's always a good idea to let it cure before building up.

Good luck. Post pictures of your finished frame.