Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Sharing some recent milestones

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 08-14-20, 04:37 PM
Sertsa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 67 Posts

Hi all. I'd like to share some recent milestones, as there aren't many I can talk to who'll understand any of this.

Below is a rather poor photo of my bike in front of a footbridge. While I've never ridden across that bridge (and don't think it would be a good idea), it's representative for me. Before biking, I often hiked at this park, but I didn't attempt crossing it until I was under 250lbs. I'd stepped on it but turned back, telling myself that I'd cross when under 250. So it was a big deal for me when I reached that point and crossed it. Here's a photo I took early this year after crossing.

Anyway, shortly after I took the photo of the bike in front of the bridge, I managed to pedal all the way a very difficult (at least for me), long, boss-fight of a hill. I'd tried that one before but wound up walking part way up it. (Someone on Strava has dubbed it "Stroke Hill"). This time, however, I managed the entire way. Afterwards I also climbed another difficult hill in both directions (dubbed "Heart Attack Hill" and "Reverse Heart Attack Hill"). I thought about stopping to get a photo, but I really didn't want to lose momentum.

That was a couple days ago. Today I took my longest ride yet, 41.59km/25.84miles. My August total so far is 362.7km/225.37miles. After getting my bike in late March, I've ridden it 1,627.2km/1,011miles.

Until fairly recently I wasn't sure I'd be able to make it to this point. I hoped I could, but I had a long way to go.

Finally, a few days ago I visited a pain management/rehabilitation doctor (I'm dealing with degenerative disc disease and some arthritis). After they took my weight, "obesity" was removed from my medical record.

(The second photo was taken while riding a rail trail last Saturday, which was my longest ride at the time, 39km/24miles.)

Anyway, if you read all that, thanks! And I hope you're doing well.

Last edited by Sertsa; 08-14-20 at 04:41 PM. Reason: fixing mistakes
Likes For Sertsa:
Old 08-14-20, 06:01 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
That's great on all of those milestones, keep at it.
Likes For cyclist2000:
Old 08-14-20, 06:23 PM
257 roberts

Bikes: 2008 Trek Police bike 2019 Jamis Coda Sport 2021 Surly Bridgeclub

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 304 Posts
You're knocking it outta the park !!! Fantastic
Likes For 257 roberts:
Old 08-14-20, 09:16 PM
Sertsa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclist2000
That's great on all of those milestones, keep at it.
Originally Posted by 257 roberts
You're knocking it outta the park !!! Fantastic
Thanks to you both. I wish I'd figured a lot of things out decades ago, but at least I'm managing now.