Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Rear light with a long battery life

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 08-20-20, 06:28 AM
peterh337

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hi All,

I ride about an hour each day, on both tarmac and dirt tracks; currently daytime so don't need night riding capability, although a lot of the roads are under a canopy so quite dark.

For the front light I have a Ravemen PR1200 which does a good number of hours before it has to be taken off the bike and put on charge. It will do 1.5hrs on absolute max power but on the road, as more a conspicuity light, it will do 20hrs. This is pretty good.

But I can't find anything decent for the rear light. I have a Ravemen TR30M (£30) which is certainly bright enough on the max setting but the tiny battery lasts under an hour. And all the rear lamps I can find are fairly similar.

I do electronics and could prize the case open and replace the battery with a big one (same chemistry i.e. same cell voltage) and bodge something, but I wonder if anyone can suggest something better.

Thank you all in advance. The bike is a Sunn Shaman.
Old 08-20-20, 10:05 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4242 Post(s)
Liked 1,343 Times in 932 Posts
Battery powered rear light typically last for many hours on flash.

The rechargeable ones might not.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 08-20-20, 10:49 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2594 Post(s)
Liked 1,922 Times in 1,206 Posts
Most of the name brand USB-charged blinkies should last an hours between charges. Either put a charger near the bike's parking space, and recharge, or take it off and bring it inside to charge after every ride.

If you're thinking about AA or AAA batteries, get two of different brands. You'll generally find they have different discharge curves, so you'll probably have at least one running on any given ride.
Old 08-20-20, 10:54 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
In triple-flash mode (my preferred for daytime use,) a Cygolite Hotshot 100 will do at least 30 hours.

Source: we have three HotShots
Old 08-20-20, 11:44 AM
wingless

Bikes: 2011 Trek 1.2 + 2016 Trek 1.1 H2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
My Cygolite Hotshot Pro 150 has a measured run time of about 34 hours at one flash per second.
Likes For wingless:
Old 08-20-20, 01:47 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by peterh337
But I can't find anything decent for the rear light. I have a Ravemen TR30M (£30) which is certainly bright enough on the max setting but the tiny battery lasts under an hour. And all the rear lamps I can find are fairly similar.
I'm confused about why you're having trouble finding a long last rear light? Most of them last for hours. ..

Planet Bike Grateful Red, 5 hours on steady and 30 hours on flash:
https://www.planetbike.com/grateful-...ke-tail-light/

Superflash Turbo, 5 hours on steady and 100 hours on flash:
https://www.planetbike.com/superflas...ke-tail-light/

If you want to put out an absurd amount of light behind you the Dinotte QuadRed tail light puts out 200 lumens, 2 hours at 100% , 4 hours at 50%, 16 hours at 25% - 8/16 hours on pulse.
https://windinmyface.com/gear-tailli...otte-300R.html

I used to be a big fan of AA/AAA powered lights but I gave in and went to usb lights as the batteries can't pop out on a bump and they're so much less hassle - just plugging them, rather than tediously opening the case and physically putting the batteries in a charger. Most convenient way to keep things ready to go was to plug in my chargers next to the bikes and charge the lights on the bike. Just leave it plugged in, unplug it when you leave for your next right, and your lights are always charged.

Last edited by PaulRivers; 08-20-20 at 01:52 PM.
Old 08-20-20, 01:51 PM
spoofer

Bikes: Trek Domane, Raleigh Technium MB

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I usually support my local bs, but I got my rechargeable blinky things for $15 0n amozon
Old 08-20-20, 02:23 PM
peterh337

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You might all find this rather amusing but while all the products recommended look just great, none are sold over here in the UK.

I can buy them on Ebay with a hefty surcharge of about 2x (delivery and then import duty and taxes). Amazon.co.uk says Unavailable for all of them. Amazon.com vendors almost never ship outside the US.

Maybe I just need to pay the 100% extra.
Old 08-20-20, 09:19 PM
peterh337

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Someone here sent me a PM but I cannot read it because I have not made enough posts
Old 08-20-20, 09:20 PM
peterh337

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ah now I can. One has to make 10 posts
Old 08-20-20, 10:59 PM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 81 Posts
ditto cygolites.
mounts, duration, no leaking cells
has cured my cheap light habit,
at ~20 on amazon was a bargain
Old 08-20-20, 11:33 PM
gios

Bikes: 2021 Litespeed T5 105, 1990 Gios Compact Pro 105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 182 Posts
My rides are mostly one of two routes (both are circuits - first is 3 laps, second 4): either an hour (around 16.8 miles), or around an hour and a half (22 miles). I have a set of red blinking Serfas Thunderbolt lights that I strap on to the seat stays (so rear facing) and they will last for 2 one hour rides. They won't last for 2 and a half hours though - at least one will be dead. The newest one, a white Thunderbolt facing forward mounted on the handlebars will though. I still charge all 3 of my Thunderbolts after every ride now. I don't ride at night.

I charge my Garmin Edge 500 after every two rides. It can last longer, but I hate when I forget to charge and it shuts off mid-ride.

Same with my Cygolite Hotshot (rear facing red attached to seat post)- charged every two rides. It also can last probably 3 or 4 or 5 rides. It's an older model - the High Power 2 Watt lol. I will upgrade eventually to the 150 or 200 or 350 lumen model.

_
Old 08-21-20, 09:09 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3452 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
I do not know if Planet Bike is imported to UK or not. I am in USA.

Bike touring, I prefer AAA batteries, I can change the batteries and keep using devices where a USB rechargeable device often can't be used while charging, I use the Ikea brand Ladda AAA rechargeable batteries, the white ones that are low discharge. As an emergency backup plan I can buy disposable batteries too.

I use the Planet Bike Superflash in flash mode when riding on a straight highway, it has a tightly focused beam and is best mounted on the bike so it can be aimed.

When on a winding road with lots of ups and downs, I want a beam that is wider and higher, for that I use a Planet Bike Superflash 65 in flash mode.

When touring, I have both on the bike and choose the one that meets the road conditions better. But if in fog or if I am riding into a sunrise or sunset where I may be hard to see by a car driver behind me, I will have both lights on.

Even though they still look bright after a week, I recharge the batteries weekly to make sure they stay bright.

There are so many good light manufacturers out there that I am sure you can find a good one. The B&M lights are quite expensive in USA, not sure if they are more affordable in UK or not. I use some of their dynohub powered lights. I do not know if the B&M battery lights flash or not, their dyno powered taillights do not.
Old 08-21-20, 11:35 AM
fourfa

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts
Ditto Cygolite Hotshots. Only one I've seen that lets you slow down the daylight / safety flash rate to save power - either for those all day daytime rides, or to have reserve for when you go past sunset.

(can't help with UK availability though)
Old 08-21-20, 12:43 PM
peterh337

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I ordered this one
https://ride.lezyne.com/products/1-led-8r-v204
It's the biggest I can find
About $70.
Likes For peterh337:
Old 08-21-20, 12:57 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6173 Post(s)
Liked 4,790 Times in 3,305 Posts
I don't have a recommendation about longest lasting. But you might also want to get a good red reflector for the rear.

In the fifty some odd years I've driven an automobile, I've been impressed with how well a red reflector shows up on a bike. Under the saddle or on a fender they show up exceedingly well at night and at a long distance off when I've happened to overtake someone with out lights riding on the road.

And those on the edges of plain flat pedals show up too, though they might fascinate some with the up and down and they forget what they are actually seeing.
Old 08-21-20, 01:16 PM
peterh337

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The UK has loads of narrow country roads, and the explosion in road biking has created widespread problems for drivers who try to overtake where they cannot do it safely, and many cyclists have been injured or killed. I live in the countryside and used to cycle to work (20 mins) but have stopped because of one death there and another one in identical circumstances in the same place which I saw but which didn't happen by a margin of about 1 second. So I now cycle only on certain quieter roads and on tracks. The issue is that a lot of these are under tree cover and thus quite dark.

I've driven a few k miles in the US and the roads are generally much wider there.
Old 08-21-20, 01:31 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6173 Post(s)
Liked 4,790 Times in 3,305 Posts
Our motorist's usually have their lights on when they drive at night. That light is what the reflector reflects.

If that blurb was for my post above it, then I wasn't saying use a reflector instead of a light. I was intending it as a backup for when your light's battery was drained.
Old 08-21-20, 01:52 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Cool

B&M Senso turn themselves off after a couple minutes when switched into that mode, stopped.. in the dark,
come on when you start moving , in the dark..

I think UK imports the same products Planet Bike sourced, but under a different name..

Old 08-21-20, 07:14 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Ditto, Cygolite. And the newer Hotrod is lighter, narrower and more discrete. I just got one for my road bike. It's excellent, a great alternative to the Hotshot which is already the single best buy in all bike lighting. The Hotshot is more intensely focused by a polished conical reflector, almost laser bright viewed from directly behind. The Hotrod uses multiple LEDs and is somewhat more visible from the sides and more even within intense hotspots.

If you can't buy one directly where you live, bribe someone to send you one from the US. If the packaging and USB cable are omitted, the Hotrod takes up less room than a ballpoint pen. It could be stuffed inside a birthday card and padded envelope and probably arrive safely.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 08-22-20, 03:17 AM
gios

Bikes: 2021 Litespeed T5 105, 1990 Gios Compact Pro 105

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
...newer Hotrod is lighter, narrower and more discrete...
I was looking at those. Currently use the Serfas Thunderbolt, which are 35 lumen, and the 90 lumen Hotrod is tempting. I like that the attachment wrap is the same on both of them.
Old 08-22-20, 10:34 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
The Cygolite Hotrod also improved the functionality of the single pushbutton.

The Hotshot two multi-function buttons are pretty good, but the tactile feedback could be improved, and it seemed to take longer than necessary to change modes or turn it on/off.

The Hotrod button seems to have been designed to respond to those minor quibbles about the otherwise excellent Hotshots. The button tactile feedback is better, and the press-and-hold to turn off seems more natural.
Old 09-04-20, 12:28 PM
yves845

Bikes: Santos travelmaster2.8 ; Brompton titanium ; R&M Load speed

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by peterh337
Hi All,

I ride about an hour each day, on both tarmac and dirt tracks; currently daytime so don't need night riding capability, although a lot of the roads are under a canopy so quite dark.

For the front light I have a Ravemen PR1200 which does a good number of hours before it has to be taken off the bike and put on charge. It will do 1.5hrs on absolute max power but on the road, as more a conspicuity light, it will do 20hrs. This is pretty good.

I do electronics and could prize the case open and replace the battery with a big one (same chemistry i.e. same cell voltage) and bodge something, but I wonder if anyone can suggest something better.

Thank you all in advance. The bike is a Sunn Shaman.
https://www.lupine.de/products/tail-...t/rotlicht-max
unbreakable, reliable but not cheap. I own one ...
Old 09-04-20, 01:15 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4361 Post(s)
Liked 3,000 Times in 1,853 Posts
Another vote for Cygolite Hotrods. Love em.

I have a bunch of them and I like to ride with one on each seat stay. If the situation is normal, I've got one on and the other is just in case the battery runs down on the first. If I'm in a situation where I care extra about visibility, both of them together work well. In flash mode always, unless I'm riding in a group.
Old 09-04-20, 03:08 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 549 Posts
For daytime use, I like to have the brightest light possible so it isn't washed out in the sun. I was using a Cygolite hotshot 150 Pro but the battery stopped holding a charge after a little over 3 years of use. Replaced with a Bontrager Flare RT. I give the Cygolite a little better rating due to brightness and mounting options. The flare RT is amazing given it's tiny size and weight. On 6-8 hour rides I have never had one go dead.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.