Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Center to Center frame measurement

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-20, 04:57 PM
kaiserschmarrn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

A few days ago, I quickly read something here that certain bikes/frames were properly measured from Center to Center (center of crank, to center of top tube, i think). Then, I saw in the marketplace, someone selling an early 90s Specialized Allez, which is more or less what I have (a '92 or '93 Allez Comp). In there, they state it is some number of cm, CtC measurement for the frame. Should my Allez be measured "CtC"? I just bought it, and the seller stated that it was a 56 cm (he is the original owner), but I measure it conventionally as a 58, measuring it from the crank center to the juncture of the seat post and top of seat tube. Which method would show me how Specialized sized this frame?

Danny
Old 08-25-20, 06:15 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6195 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Hard to say. Size is a thing the manufacturer determines and many don't size their bike by the same methods. They only generally are the length of the seat tube on old bikes. And even then some mfrs went to the very top of the seat tube, some to the top of the top tube and others to the center of the top tube and maybe a few other ways.

Sloping top tubes have added a few more ways to figuring out a size too. Now it's common to draw a imaginary horizontal line from the somewhere around the top of the head tube and extend it to the extended center line from the seat tube and measure from that intersection to the BB center. But only some do that and others do something else.

So if you are buying a bike. Just know what measurements you need and don't worry so much if the owner says it's one thing and you think it's another. Especially if you are only 2 cm off.
Old 08-26-20, 09:29 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Center to center frames can be drawn out as a single line, the tube's center line .
then the builder cuts the miters, lengths dependent on the diameters being joined .
the angles taken off a protractor laid on the lines..
Old 08-26-20, 04:33 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
For a diamond frame, the relationship between CTC and CTT is pretty constant. For English and Italian frames with standard OD tubes, 56 CM CTC is 57+ CM CTT, 56 CM CTT is 54+ CTC, etc. The numbers may be different for French or oversized tubes - you can find the diameters and o the arithmetic if it's relevant to you.

Last edited by philbob57; 08-26-20 at 04:38 PM.