Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Advice needed! Fixed Gear under 800 bucks.

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-20, 04:33 PM
Nearfreak

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello to everyone taking the time to help me out!
Looking for a Fixie under 800, the lower the price, the more beers I can afford, therefore your help is greatly appreciated!
Height 6 feet and 1/2 inches, weight 150 pounds, inseam 88cm. Frame should be around 57-60. Use: Urban, Skids, Commute.

Got these offers to choose from:
  • Used Factory Five F550 58 with Chris King Headset, Ritchey Bars, Race Face Cadence Crankset, Halo Aerorage Wheelset, Cinelli Mike Giant grips and Straps -> 600 nego.
  • New Dolan Pre Cursa 58, out of the well-known configurator, around 850 bucks
  • New Fuji Feather 2020, 58 ,700 bucks
  • Used Look AC 364 Heritage size L, Miche Pistard 2.0 Crankset, Vintage Dura-Ace Front Brake, Mavic Track Rear (Ellipse?), Gatorskins and SRAM brake levers. 600 negotiable.
  • New State 4130 Core, 550 bucks
You might see why it's so hard for me to decide, all the offered bikes are great value (maybe apart from the Feather). The Look wins Style, the Dolan with it's 7000 Alu Frame wins the tech price and the Factory Five has great parts for the price, although it may be hard to resell.

What are your thoughts? Which one would you choose and why, or would you look for something else instead?

Every answer helps me out a lot, thanks guys!

Last edited by Nearfreak; 08-31-20 at 05:47 PM.
Old 09-01-20, 03:49 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Build your own.

Wabi Classic frameset $495

Bicycle Wheel Warehouse Mavic CXP22/Formula wheelset $161 (with 10Now code)

Then you have @ $150 left over for the rest of the parts. Shop smart looking for deals and you could come close to your $800 price point and have a very nice bike.
Old 09-01-20, 03:52 AM
Nearfreak

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
Build your own.

Then you have @ $150 left over for the rest of the parts. Shop smart looking for deals and you could come close to your $800 price point and have a very nice bike.
Sadly, I am not living in the USA, so as much as I would love one, a Wabi Classic would cost me a fortune.
Would appreciate your opinion on the offers a lot!
Old 09-01-20, 03:55 AM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by Nearfreak
Sadly, I am not living in the USA, so as much as I would love one, a Wabi Classic would cost me a fortune.
Would appreciate your opinion on the offers a lot!
Ah, that sucks. Personally I'd buy the Fuji then. It has a solid frameset.
Old 09-01-20, 06:51 PM
crankholio

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Have you looked at the Kilo TT? Looks like Bikesdirect actually has something in stock for a change: 57cm orange model. https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/mercier/kilott.htm
Old 09-02-20, 07:56 AM
Skimax

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
Build your own.

I think it would be pretty tough to get everything else for under $150 unless you are buying very used or cheap parts...

still need:
crank
cog
bars
stem
tape
pedals
chain
saddle
seatpost

there will definitely be some compromise somewhere in there...
Likes For Skimax:
Old 09-02-20, 08:08 AM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
If only Nashbar was still in business in its original form/model. I bet you could have found something pretty sweet there for under eight hundred bucks.
They had some pretty good deals on there. I was constantly buying frames from them.
Bikes too.
Think they were selling the Fuji feather complete bike for two hundred and twenty bucks in sizes 49 and 52 before they gave up the ghost.

Wait, sorry. OP is out of US. Hmmmm.
Where exactly are you, if you don’t mind my asking? Might help.
And is anyone aware of any place reminiscent of the old Nashbar?

Last edited by Rage; 09-02-20 at 08:15 AM.
Old 09-02-20, 11:32 AM
Nearfreak

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Based in Germany, I don't mind you knowing that at all. Thanks for the opinions guys, helped me out a good bit. Kilo TT and Wabi are great, but just not accessible here.

Pretty much narrowed down the choices to:
  • Look 364 Heritage with the setup listed above &
  • used Dolan Pre Cursa with Alpina headset, Thomson Elite X2 Stem, Vision Bullhorn, Suicycle Riot Seatpost, 8bar Urban Saddle, BLB Notorious Crank 48 Z (kinda ****ty Taiwan rebrand, will replace) and 19 Z BLB cog, SRAM PC1 chain, Eclat Slash Nylon Pedals with Veganski Straps, Novatek Fix/Free Wheels -> 550 nego
I know that both are an absolute steal for the price, just not sure on the Look as it has seamed lugs and "just" Tange Infinity tubing, certainly not the best.
Old 09-02-20, 12:31 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Originally Posted by Skimax
I think it would be pretty tough to get everything else for under $150 unless you are buying very used or cheap parts...

still need:
crank
cog
bars
stem
tape
pedals
chain
saddle
seatpost

Tires, tubes, rim tape, lock ring, foot retention, cost of labor for any installations OP can't do alone...building a bike from scratch is not the move when you're on a budget.

If it were me, I'd probably go for the LOOK. Mostly because it's a cool looking frame that I don't see as often and I'm kinda partial to steel these days.
Likes For seau grateau:
Old 09-02-20, 12:53 PM
Skimax

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by seau grateau
Tires, tubes, rim tape, lock ring, foot retention, cost of labor for any installations OP can't do alone...building a bike from scratch is not the move when you're on a budget.

If it were me, I'd probably go for the LOOK. Mostly because it's a cool looking frame that I don't see as often and I'm kinda partial to steel these days.
Definitely. I built my single speed for about $900 all in and that was on a pretty good budget... I also built it all myself.
Old 09-03-20, 04:08 AM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by Skimax

still need:
crank
cog
bars
stem
tape
pedals
chain
saddle
seatpost

I said you could come close. If you bought all those components directly from Wabi that their complete bikes come up with it would be less than $250. And some you could probably find cheaper somewhere else.
Old 09-04-20, 06:23 AM
Nearfreak

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Going for the Look, just had an amazing phone call with the owner, ordered a 17t cog instead of the 16t one that's installed, obv. for more skidpoints.
Also ordered some Fyxation straps. Any recommendation on vintage looking bullhorns that are still halfway comfy? Is it possible to remove the brake arms on hoods and install one of them on the bullhorn?

Cheers for the advice, helped me out a lot!!
Old 09-04-20, 07:20 AM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

FWIW Nashbar is selling the Soma Rush frame on back order in limited sizes for 429.99.

Last edited by Rage; 09-04-20 at 07:23 AM.
Likes For Rage:
Old 09-04-20, 07:39 PM
hay
tumbleweed

Bikes: stumpy,bianchi,Wabi classic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
That Factory5 frame is made by Collosi I belive crafted in Thailand. I wanted one pretty bad a few years back but shipping made it out of my price range.
If it fits you, this would be a good bike with the parts and all.
Old 09-04-20, 08:23 PM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by Rage
FWIW Nashbar is selling the Soma Rush frame on back order in limited sizes for 429.99.
They also have $30 off purchases of $350+, so it would be $399.99. Not bad based on Soma's retail price
Likes For Senrab62:
Old 09-05-20, 01:24 AM
Rage
Space Ghost

Good catch on the thirty bucks off.
...now I wanna build up a Rush lol.
Likes For Rage:
Old 09-14-20, 06:54 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Based in Germany, I don't mind you knowing that at all. Thanks for the opinions guys, helped me out a good bit. Kilo TT and Wabi are great, but just not accessible here.

Pretty much narrowed down the choices to:
  • Look 364 Heritage with the setup listed above &
  • used Dolan Pre Cursa with Alpina headset, Thomson Elite X2 Stem, Vision Bullhorn, Suicycle Riot Seatpost, 8bar Urban Saddle, BLB Notorious Crank 48 Z (kinda ****ty Taiwan rebrand, will replace) and 19 Z BLB cog, SRAM PC1 chain, Eclat Slash Nylon Pedals with Veganski Straps, Novatek Fix/Free Wheels -> 550 nego
I know that both are an absolute steal for the price, just not sure on the Look as it has seamed lugs and "just" Tange Infinity tubing, certainly not the best.
go for the Look.
rare here in the USA
Old 09-15-20, 12:48 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Used could mean thrashed, so any used bike would need to be checked out thoroughly. Having said that I would look at the Look. That frame is killer and the rest of the listed components very nice.
Old 09-21-20, 08:02 PM
Altimis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hi, don't want to create a new thread but seems like OP ask about Pre Cursa frame so...

I read Retrogression shop descriptions about Dolan Pre Cursa. Its say 7075 AL frame.

Dolan site and other say 7005 AL.

Hm who correct??? and I don't know if Scrod still around here
Old 09-22-20, 07:25 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 246 Posts
Going for the Look, just had an amazing phone call with the owner, ordered a 17t cog instead of the 16t one that's installed, obv. for more skidpoints.
Also ordered some Fyxation straps. Any recommendation on vintage looking bullhorns that are still halfway comfy? Is it possible to remove the brake arms on hoods and install one of them on the bullhorn?

Cheers for the advice, helped me out a lot!!
Your LOOK will look great with bullhorns. All depends on your budget.
I replaced the drops with Origin8 Pursuit bars and Tektro levers. After sitting around untouched for a few years my Langster has become my favourite bike for solo-rides.
Old 09-30-20, 11:17 PM
nervous24

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
The Look was my choice before I saw that you went with it.

Well played, Sir.
Old 10-13-20, 08:58 AM
berkleydriskill

Bikes: 1960s Roberts Cycles Track Bike, 2006 EAI bareknuckle, 2020 6ku urban track, random others built and sold between

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 12 Posts
Love the Look. If budget is the biggest factor, and willing to go with an aluminum frame, take a look at the 6ku urban track bike. I bought one for my wife since a complete bike was so affordable. Use the money left over on hq components. Sell the stock components as a set or individually on clist.