Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Site to report dangerous drivers

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Site to report dangerous drivers

Old 09-03-20, 06:19 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4222 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by BoraxKid
Listen, I don't know why you are being so difficult here, but I hope you can calm down and be a little less hysterical. I have explained myself thoroughly enough, and yet you seem intent on extending whatever this pseudo-conflict is.
????

Looks like you are being difficult and hysterical. You should calm down.

Since my terrible argument isn't convincing anybody, I'll resort to just insulting people to try to distract them from my failure.
What you really mean.

I'm not going to re-explain myself. If you don't understand what I posted, that's your burden to bear from now on. Good luck.
Did you notice that no one else in this thread thinks you are making much sense? The problem just might be you!

=========================

Not exactly. The databases are a good idea, for an ideal world. But in practice, they do not really work in our world. Maybe with better execution of the idea it could work, but I'm not really invested in it.
In an "ideal world", these sorts of databases would be unnecessary.

(Using an "ideal world" argument is just moving the goal posts to suit your "position". No one is required to agree to your choice of what an "ideal world" is.)

Last edited by njkayaker; 09-03-20 at 07:00 PM.
Old 09-03-20, 06:21 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
And let’s not forget that reporting a plate is not necessarily reporting the operator of the vehicle. Three different people used to drive my first car.
Exactly the reason I think that red light and speed cameras are unconstitutional. Unless you can prove who was actually operating the motor vehicle, sending a speeding or moving violation ticket to the registered owner of the car just from a picture of the car is not valid in my opinion. It's even worse when someone posts someone else's license plate as a reckless driver. Even if they have the best intentions, what if they get the tag number wrong?
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 09-04-20, 06:17 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
And let’s not forget that reporting a plate is not necessarily reporting the operator of the vehicle. Three different people used to drive my first car.
Try owning a pickup truck. Everyone wants to borrow one of those occasionally. The last few years I owned mine, my friend drove it more than I did.

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Exactly the reason I think that red light and speed cameras are unconstitutional. Unless you can prove who was actually operating the motor vehicle, sending a speeding or moving violation ticket to the registered owner of the car just from a picture of the car is not valid in my opinion. It's even worse when someone posts someone else's license plate as a reckless driver. Even if they have the best intentions, what if they get the tag number wrong?
I'm not sure that those cameras are unconstitutional, but there are myriad problems with them. For one, they are mostly operated by private contractors on a for-profit basis, which obviously creates a conflict of interest. They also are used as a substitute for actual police officers, and hence there is less policing of behaviors that actually do significantly raise accident rates, such as drunk/reckless/distracted driving. And then, as has been noted, the photo ticket is applied to the vehicle owner, who may not have been the driver; that puts the onus on the owner to show up in court and argue the case, even though there may be no evidence that he/she was driving. (Actually, that may brush up against the Fourth Amendment.)

Biggest problem: at least in one state (CO, where I lived for many years), a traffic ticket is a subpoena, and a subpoena is only valid if served by an officer of the court; in other words, to be valid, the ticket must be handed to you by a police officer - not mailed to you by a private firm. When I once got a ticket generated by a speed cam, I chuckled and threw it in the trash.

PS: ​​​​njkayaker , You are clearly hysterical and defensive. I mean, how dare you expect posters to be consistent, to not just make stuff up, to make sense! Outrageous!

Last edited by Koyote; 09-04-20 at 06:40 AM.
Old 09-04-20, 06:34 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
It's even worse when someone posts someone else's license plate as a reckless driver. Even if they have the best intentions, what if they get the tag number wrong?
Probably for a few obsessed or intense characters who might use a website like this, accuracy doesn't make much that much difference, since by their definition ALL motorists are likely to be guilty of being dangerous to cyclists and pedestrians, and all private owners of motor vehicle are guilty of being complicit in the alleged crimes of motordom.
Old 09-04-20, 06:35 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
For one, they are mostly operated by private contractors on a for-profit basis, which obviously creates a conflict of interest.
Some years ago, Car and Driver magazine did a big article about red-light cameras. One of the most interesting points they raised was how the contract with the city guarantees a certain minimum revenue raised each year from tickets. In a few cities, revenue fell short.... So the solution was to shorten the yellow-light interval so that more people would get tickets! Unfortunately, the side effect from shortening the yellows was a noticeable increase in crashes at those intersections.
Old 09-04-20, 06:37 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
Some years ago, Car and Driver magazine did a big article about red-light cameras. One of the most interesting points they raised was how the contract with the city guarantees a certain minimum revenue raised each year from tickets. In a few cities, revenue fell short.... So the solution was to shorten the yellow-light interval so that more people would get tickets! Unfortunately, the side effect from shortening the yellows was a noticeable increase in crashes at those intersections.
And some data analyses have concluded that red light cameras increase rear-end collisions: motorist sees the camera, slams on brakes, gets rear-ended.