Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Handlebars feel too low but not sure...

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Handlebars feel too low but not sure...

Old 09-04-20, 09:00 PM
morgothaod

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I lowered the handlebars and seat and tried to get the seat more level. Here is where I'm at right now:

Old 09-05-20, 08:26 AM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 371 Posts
Seat height looks better. I strongly recommend training yourself to rid with some bend in your elbows. With a bend, they're like springs. Without the bend, they just transmit surface irregularities to your hands, wrists, elbows, and shoulders.

I look forward t reading how your ride goes.
Old 09-05-20, 08:41 AM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
Lowering the saddle (and making it more level) seems (in the photo at least) to make you look more comfortable on your bike. Inserting the stem quill was necessary for safety but doesn't seem to affect your position greatly. Trek and other replies say otherwise but I still think that frame is too small for you! I agree with the reply that mentions a disproportionate torso length for your stated 5'7" height. I also agree with the suggestion to set the saddle height based on the distance from the floor to your pubic bone. That measument is sometimes referred to as "inseam" but isn't the same as the inseam value for the pants you wear 😉. There are lots of online articles on how to measure your inseam and how to calculate the saddle height. All of the methods to measure your "inseam" should give the same result. Calculating saddle height is a bit nebulous and can vary based on the opinion of the person describing the method. All of the methods will, at the very least, give you a starting point. You can adjust to your comfort from there.
Old 09-05-20, 09:51 AM
morgothaod

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I rode the bike today for about 40 minutes and had a little stiffness and soreness in my lower back. Also half way in the ride, I could hear and feel a "click" when pedaling. When I turned the left shifter to "3" and the right to "7", the bike got a bit louder. Here is a brief clip of the noise:

I still had a lot of fun and I rode my most challenging terrain. I actually mountain biked on a mountain bike (Rode over lots of bumps, rocks, sand)! I think I'm going to keep this bike for a year or two to get my money's worth out of it. I'll explore all of the trails around me and use it for exercise and then probably sell it back to the shop for $100. I'll then look for a bigger frame.
Old 09-06-20, 07:22 AM
morgothaod

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I rode the bike again today. It was in 3-7 then I shifted 3-6, 2-6, and 2-5. The "click" sound that I heard and felt as I pedaled the day before was gone. Here I am doing a few laps, maybe you all can get a better idea of the bike's fit on me.

I'm obviously not a bike expert but the way I feel on the bike would be described like this image :

However, switching back to a mountain bike from a comfort cruiser is so much more fun! I felt like I was moving in slow motion on the comfort bike.

Old 09-06-20, 07:58 AM
fujidon

Bikes: Fuji Pro, Raleigh Team, touring bike, hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 44 Posts
From your first pic, I thought that maybe your saddle was a little high, but watching the video, it now looks like maybe your saddle is a little low. It's hard to tell from the video and it depends on riding technique such as how much you drop your heel. How much did you lower it?

It would surprise me if your mountain bike is actually faster, If you have a bike computer, it's easy to tell, otherwise maybe time yourself on a known course. I suspect that the mountain bike just subjectively FEELS faster because you like it better.

Either way, ride what you enjoy. And you can put road bike tires on your mountain bike and call it your "other" comfort cruiser.
Old 09-12-20, 06:53 AM
morgothaod

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Is it a good rule for saddle height that my heel with the pedal pointing down in line with the seat post should have my leg completely straight?
Old 09-12-20, 07:45 AM
schind1324

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
I have to agree I think the fit looks good.
Old 09-12-20, 11:05 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Originally Posted by morgothaod
Is it a good rule for saddle height that my heel with the pedal pointing down in line with the seat post should have my leg completely straight?
No, but it's a good way to find a place to start with your seat height. Though if by completely straight you mean you are using all your effort to make your leg artificially straight, probably not.

Once you've got that place to start. Try it out and adjust as needed from there.

My objection to what you said was the term "rule". I think that makes too many think this is what it must be and thou shalt not deviate one iota.
Old 09-13-20, 02:34 PM
fujidon

Bikes: Fuji Pro, Raleigh Team, touring bike, hybrid

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
No, but it's a good way to find a place to start with your seat height. Though if by completely straight you mean you are using all your effort to make your leg artificially straight, probably not.

Once you've got that place to start. Try it out and adjust as needed from there.

My objection to what you said was the term "rule". I think that makes too many think this is what it must be and thou shalt not deviate one iota.
I agree. Just recently, I raised my saddle almost 1/2" which is actually a lot. I rode for many, many years with the saddle a little lower than "recommended" because I found it easier to spin a higher cadence with it there.

These days, as I'm a bit older, I've found that I really can't maintain the higher cadence of my younger self so I decided to try raising the saddle. Now, I'm right at the 1.09 recommendation and it feels perfectly natural... for me.
Old 09-14-20, 11:24 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1541 Post(s)
Liked 1,702 Times in 956 Posts
Originally Posted by morgothaod
Not 'completely straight', but 'free-hang' or 'dangling' straight. Stand on a stair step and let one leg dangle in the air relaxed. It will be slightly bent. Now sit on the bike and dangle the leg the same way, and the heel should be just touching the pedal.
Old 10-28-20, 10:25 AM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 158 Posts
It looks like you have the saddle height set pretty well. The next thing I would do is to test your fore-aft saddle position to see if you weight distribution is correct.

Old 10-28-20, 05:19 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Your bars only feel too low because you don't have nearly enough reach. Even though you don't have a mountain bike there, it is a flat bar bike, so the fit will be about the same. Make your fit look like this:

Except for the model's horribly rounded back, this looks about right. IOW don't fret about bar height so much, get more reach and bar height ill be fine because you're not stretching down for the bars, you're leaning forward to reach them. This is also much more comfortable. If the spine is nearly vertical, it can't absorb road shocks with makes both your back and your butt sorer.