Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

26er full suspension = shame??

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

26er full suspension = shame??

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-20, 07:48 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by gsa103
What the heck is with that single pivot placement? Pedal kickback? Nah, we'll just launch the rider.
That was clearly designed without any thought about suspension kinematics. I'm sure it very low pedal bob under load though.
That design has no pedal kickback, and it does not stiffen under pedaling load. If anything, it bobs. It is essentially a URT design.

The design kinda sucks but not for the reason you state.

But seeing the bike out there is still freaking awesome.
Old 09-14-20, 07:53 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by thehammerdog
oh yes nwnj has great riding that was Malon Dickerson area hop on trail in sparta off at 15. goes up into j town by Weldon road.
Huh. I grew up in Sparta. Maybe I will see this vintage gem out on the trails next time I am visiting family with my MTB.
Old 09-14-20, 07:59 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Huh. I grew up in Sparta. Maybe I will see this vintage gem out on the trails next time I am visiting family with my MTB.
funny u say that as I'm in lk mohawk.
the old schwin is alive and well n sparta.
c u on trails.
Old 09-19-20, 02:30 PM
roskobosko

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Neighbors got new 29ers full suspension $3k bikes and I was jealous. - so you bought a 22 year old 26er and now you aren't jealous? Then you are set.
Likes For roskobosko:
Old 09-20-20, 05:50 PM
Bend0matic

Bikes: 2010 Orbea Orca SRAM Force, 2008ish aluminum hard tail 26” mountain bike and 1980 Schwinn Twinn Sport

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I’m riding a 26 inch hard tail with a nashbar aluminum frame and free pedals the bike store gave me because a prior customer just didn’t want them anymore. No shame in what you are riding as long as you are having fun and it is safe to ride for the type of riding you do.
Likes For Bend0matic:
Old 09-21-20, 07:07 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
I just got back into the mtb world this week sold my old gary fisher a year ago after near death ride. Neighbors got new 29ers full suspension $3k bikes and I was jealous.
got good deal on 26er 1998 schwinn s-10.
thing is great lighter than old HT gary fisher. rides well but 26er....will I be a laughing stock. rode 1st time yesterday
loved it.
no falls...

sweet old bike...
It's a bike. It's made for riding. Just ride it. If somebody laughs at it, it's their problem, not yours.
Likes For Amt0571:
Old 09-21-20, 08:01 AM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by gsa103
What the heck is with that single pivot placement? Pedal kickback? Nah, we'll just launch the rider.
That was clearly designed without any thought about suspension kinematics. I'm sure it very low pedal bob under load though.
That is the sweet spot suspension design by John Castellano. The two major companies to use this were IBIS and Klein -although there were others as well. The idea was that it was plush when seated but completely rigid when standing (cranks were uncoupled). In theory (this is the 90's we are talking about!) it sounded good but think about how you ride downhill on a hard tail - with your butt slightly off the saddle and knees bent (again this is the 90s!). That would lock out the suspension and make it useless. You needed to keep you weight on the saddle and just go with it. With the Klein - you had something like 5 inches of rear travel (which was crazy high in those days) and the key was to use tons of sag to give a nice plush ride when seated but firmed up when you wanted to climb - which you had to do out of the saddle! I spent lots of time on a Klein Mantra and never got on with it but knew others that just loved it. He rode everything and was a climbing fool on that bike.

I think the IBIS bowtie commands a nice price today as well.
Old 09-21-20, 05:28 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Originally Posted by vespasianus
That is the sweet spot suspension design by John Castellano. The two major companies to use this were IBIS and Klein -although there were others as well. The idea was that it was plush when seated but completely rigid when standing (cranks were uncoupled). In theory (this is the 90's we are talking about!) it sounded good but think about how you ride downhill on a hard tail - with your butt slightly off the saddle and knees bent (again this is the 90s!). That would lock out the suspension and make it useless. You needed to keep you weight on the saddle and just go with it. With the Klein - you had something like 5 inches of rear travel (which was crazy high in those days) and the key was to use tons of sag to give a nice plush ride when seated but firmed up when you wanted to climb - which you had to do out of the saddle! I spent lots of time on a Klein Mantra and never got on with it but knew others that just loved it. He rode everything and was a climbing fool on that bike.

I think the IBIS bowtie commands a nice price today as well.
the more I ride the more I figure out how best to ride..out of saddle is not good Bob's like crazy..but it goes great when seated and spinning glides over stuff. not bad for $200.
I have decent fitness from the road so I do ok. I just lack the mtb skills.
Old 09-21-20, 06:53 PM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

the more I ride the more I figure out how best to ride..out of saddle is not good Bob's like crazy..but it goes great when seated and spinning glides over stuff. not bad for $200.
I have decent fitness from the road so I do ok. I just lack the mtb skills.
That is very odd to say the least.
Old 09-21-20, 07:20 PM
thehammerdog

Originally Posted by vespasianus
That is very odd to say the least.
please explain. curious.
Old 09-21-20, 07:34 PM
vespasianus

please explain. curious.
Sorry, that was a vague response on my part.

That suspension design basically uncouples the two parts of the frame - the front triangle and the rear triangle with the shock connecting the two halves. The shock actually bears your weight when you are in the saddle. But when you are off the saddle, all your rear weight is off the saddle and on the peddles - which should bypass and unweight the shock. At that point, it should become really stiff - almost locked out. Bobbing all over the place may indicate a blown shock. When you are sitting, your body weight is actually acting as a damper to the coil spring.
Old 09-24-20, 09:05 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
If you ride trails within your capability you will have zero teasing remarks about your bike. I ride a 97 Trek 7000 (aluminum frame) 26er, full rigid. The only things I can’t do with this bike is stuff I really don’t want to do anyways...like big drops and sends, downhill rock gardens. Get out on the singletracks and shred that thang!
Old 09-25-20, 03:05 PM
beermode

Bikes: 2011 Spec Allez w/ new stuff, 2019 Stumpjumper ST Alloy

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
New bikes are more forgiving if you pick the wrong line. And when you do pick the right one, you can go in really fast. It just means it's easier to gain confidence when building skill.
Just make sure it's in good repair, and have a blast.
Old 09-25-20, 06:08 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8262 Post(s)
Liked 8,998 Times in 4,456 Posts
Yes, just have fun and stay within yourself. People are riding gravel bikes off road, if they can do it, so can you.