Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

project Panasonic completed ( sort of )

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-20, 04:47 PM
trail_monkey

Bikes: Soma B Side, Soma Wolverine, Salsa Fargo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts

Well I got this baby completed. Except I threw some used 700x32 Bontrager knobbies on and they are junk lol. I ran them on my gravel bike a few years ago and they have slipped belts and they are worn out but at least I was able to test drive this baby around town. So the specs are a 1982 Panasonic Tourist, with a bottom bracket and double crank set from a Panasonic sport road bike, The original Shimano 400 FF rear derailleur, a nice Shimano front derailleur from an unknown 80s road bike, center pull brakes from an old Schwinn, brake levers from a 92 Bridgestone MB1 mountain bike, leftover bar tape reverse wrapped for grips, a set of wheel Master 700c wheels with old school spacing on the rear, a used sun tour 7-speed freewheel from my stash, some old school Shimano internal cam quick releases from my stash ( the ones that came with the wheels were garbage ), and miscellaneous frame clamps and brackets from various vintage bikes. I didn't have a double-sided down tube shift cable clamp so I put a second one in front of the first one. I will say both of these wheel Master hubs got disassembled and inspected for the proper amount of grease and had the preload reset. Both of them were too tight on the preload and had too much grit when you spun them. In addition the rear wheel was horribly out of true. I mean so bad you wouldn't have been able to ride it. So I had to throw that in my wheel building stand and true it back up and recheck the spoke tension. No biggie for me but if you were someone that didn't know how to wrench on bikes this would have required either a return shipping label or a trip to your local bike shop. The brake/shift cables and housings were stuff that I already had in stock so I did not have to buy those. I have $150 roughly invested in this bike and a lot of labor. The only stuff I had to buy was the wheels, a new chain, brake shoes, and rim strips. And despite the worn out tires that are ready for the trash this thing rides nice!

Last edited by trail_monkey; 09-17-20 at 05:43 PM.
Old 09-17-20, 04:54 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Nice job. This is going to your wife right? For the sake of your relationship, buy some new tires. Just sayin.
Old 09-17-20, 05:11 PM
trail_monkey

Bikes: Soma B Side, Soma Wolverine, Salsa Fargo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Nice job. This is going to your wife right? For the sake of your relationship, buy some new tires. Just sayin.
Don't sweat it man I will lol. chances are she will not even be riding this much this year because winter will be here soon and she's not an avid cyclist. I'm more shooting for next summer. But yes I only threw these tires on because I couldn't wait to sit on it and see how long the seat tube was and ride it around town and see what the gear shifted like. It's damn near the perfect size for her. She has a slight bend in her knee at the bottom of the pedal stroke and I could still go about 2 inches lower with my seat post. She sits nice and upright kind of reminds me of Peewee Herman lol! She went up and down the street on it and she said it felt nice