Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Giant SLR1 carbon wheels -- possible to true?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-20, 11:55 PM
buttfish77

Bikes: 2010 Litespeed Xicon, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 1 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a 2017 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 1 Disc with 6000+ miles on the odometer and the stock SLR1 carbon wheels. The rear wheel is out of true and I'd like to fix it. I removed the rim tape to gain access to the spoke nipples. I tried to tighten one of them and the square nipple head just rounded right off. It seems to be made of plastic! I tried the same on several other spokes with the same result. Is it possible to true wheels like this at all or are they made to be "disposable"?

If it's not repairable, any suggested replacement? Mavic?
Old 09-21-20, 11:09 AM
hounslow

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
It's possible the nipples have corroded over time, this is common with internal nipples on carbon rims as they are likely alloy. Mavic is a bad choice in general, they do not support wheels past a couple of years and they recently went into receivership. Plus I've lost count of the Mavics I've seen with the same problem you have. Look into custom builds.
Old 09-21-20, 03:40 PM
buttfish77

Bikes: 2010 Litespeed Xicon, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 1 Disc

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Water gets into the rims from time to time. There are holes for drainage but I'm surprised how long it stays in there. Maybe that's what caused the corrosion.