Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimergo Triple

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Shimergo Triple

Old 09-21-20, 11:34 AM
samkl 

Bikes: 2004 Trek 520, resto-modded 1987 Cannondale SR400, rando-modded 1976 AD Vent Noir; 2019 Wabi Classic; 1989? Burley Duet

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 51 Posts
Shimergo Triple

I'm planning (or at least dreaming about) a tandem build with a 3x9 drivetrain, and read about the weight- and money-saving trick of using 10 speed Campy Ergopower levers with Shimano 9 speed derailleurs and cassettes.

I'm thinking of getting some new Veloce 10 speed levers and mating it to a 9-speed Deore long cage RD (11-32 cassette) and Shimano 105 triple front (52-39-30).

But whoa, mixing and matching Campagnolo seems complicated. Add in the tandem triple and it's a little overwhelming. So I'm hoping the Bikeforums gurus can help me out with some questions.
  1. Are all 10 speed Campy levers the same cable pull ratio? i.e., does it matter if I get new Veloce or old Chorus/Record/etc 10 speed?
  2. Are all 10 speed Campy levers compatible with triples, or just some?
  3. Seems like people complain online about a time in which Campy 10 speed quality and durability dropped off. Is the modern 10-speed stuff still chintzy, especially Veloce or (cheaper yet) 10-speed Xenon? If yes, any recs on another good, affordable 10-speed Campy option?

If this gets too complicated or expensive, I'll just stick to my old plan: a 10-speed drivetrain with a SRAM Rival right shifter, GX rear derailleur, 105 front, and a bar end shifter to operate the triple front derailleur. Which (I think) should work.
Old 09-21-20, 12:46 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 2,162 Times in 1,321 Posts
I've dreamed about the same thing. I already have Campagnolo 10 speed shifters, but I haven't made the switch since I went to a triple. So I am interested if all 10 speed Campy will work with a triple.

I thought campy 10 speed works with Shimano 8 speed.

https://www.cyclinguk.org/cyclists-l...gears/shimergo

John
Old 09-21-20, 12:57 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 1,919 Times in 1,203 Posts
I'm running Campy 10 brifters on a triple, but the rear derailer is also long cage Campy. I could never get it to work with a Shimano rder; even when I put on a Shiftmate, shifting wasn't very good. Fleabay to the rescue, and I've got a spare derailer in case I wreck what's on there now.

I usually use a Shimano 11-32 cluster, but I've run an 11-34 without problems.
Old 09-21-20, 01:04 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
I run Campy 10 speed ergo shifters with a Shimano 9 speed Deore long cage RD and a 9 speed Shimano/Sram 11-32 cassette. No shiftmate but you do have to reroute the anchor point for the cable on the RD for it to work well.
Old 09-21-20, 01:17 PM
samkl 

Bikes: 2004 Trek 520, resto-modded 1987 Cannondale SR400, rando-modded 1976 AD Vent Noir; 2019 Wabi Classic; 1989? Burley Duet

Originally Posted by nomadmax
I run Campy 10 speed ergo shifters with a Shimano 9 speed Deore long cage RD and a 9 speed Shimano/Sram 11-32 cassette. No shiftmate but you do have to reroute the anchor point for the cable on the RD for it to work well.
Oh, perfect. Which 10-speed ergos are you running?
Old 09-21-20, 01:24 PM
nomadmax 

Originally Posted by samkl
Oh, perfect. Which 10-speed ergos are you running?
2000 to 2009 versions. I'm on my phone or I'd do it for you, google the shimano cable anchor for ergo power levers and you'll see what I mean.
Old 09-21-20, 01:57 PM
samkl 

Got it, thanks.

Still wondering about the modern Veloce and Xenon levers, if anyone has experience with those.
Old 09-21-20, 06:01 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 1,919 Times in 1,203 Posts
I'd think they'd work just as well as the older, upper end models. They're all supposed to have the same pull to operate similar derailers across similar 9-speed cassettes.
Old 09-21-20, 07:32 PM
bluehills3149

Bikes: depends what week it is..

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 47 Posts
On my cyclecross bike I run a Veloce 9spd Ultrashift shifter mated to a Tiagra midrange 4700 rear derailleur. Cassette is 12-34. This setup (or using any 11spd Shimano derailleur) is close to function able without any modifications to cable routing but the campy shifters pulls slightly too much cable per shift. I overcame this by grinding a shallow groove (using a dremel) around the cable "drum" inside the shifter so it reduces the cable pull slightly. Been running this for 3 years and shifting is still flawless.
And in case you think veloce/mirage are chintzy, if you look at Campy's part diagrams you'll see that the guts of most shifters are the exactly the same - record/chorus just gets more speeds and some titanium or carbon bling but essentially they are the same. However I've broken some plastic shift levers so look for full aluminum ones if you can (usually Veloce and above).
Old 09-22-20, 04:00 AM
nomadmax 

Got it, thanks.

Still wondering about the modern Veloce and Xenon levers, if anyone has experience with those.
OK, here's a photo below on how the cable should be anchored for 10 speed Campag shifters, a 9 speed Shimano Deore RD and a Shimano/Sram 9 speed cassette. You put the cable on the outside of the normal clamp point and clamp it under the locating tab. Shifting is 100% in that position, no need for any kind of adapter or anything else. Of course you will have an additional click in the shifter that you'll never get to (10 vs 9) but the low limit RD will keep you from going to it.

As to the shifters. Newer 10 speed shifter (newer than mine; in the lower price ranges, not Chorus & Record) generally will only shift up to a higher gear one cog at a time like Shimano. I think the name they hung on it was "Escape" or something like that. There are some of the lower line models that don't have that "feature" but I don't know how to tell the difference without having them in my hand. The newer style/shape 10 speed levers (think Gumby head) have different internals and I don't think they are part by part re-buildable (just like the 11 speed models aren't). Bear in mind I have never used either of those types but that's the sum total of my research when I buy used 10 speed Campy stuff.

Link:

https://www.cxmagazine.com/shimano-c...-compatibility

Old 09-22-20, 09:19 AM
samkl 

Thanks for digging up the info.

I was thinking this would be more of a "plug n play" solution. But it being a new bike and a tandem (with long, fiddly cables), I think I'll revert to the other plan - a 10sp drivetrain with a Rival rear shifter, GX rear derailleur, and a barend for the front triple. It'll cost a tiny bit more and seems like it'd be less fussy.

Originally Posted by nomadmax
OK, here's a photo below on how the cable should be anchored for 10 speed Campag shifters, a 9 speed Shimano Deore RD and a Shimano/Sram 9 speed cassette. You put the cable on the outside of the normal clamp point and clamp it under the locating tab. Shifting is 100% in that position, no need for any kind of adapter or anything else. Of course you will have an additional click in the shifter that you'll never get to (10 vs 9) but the low limit RD will keep you from going to it.

As to the shifters. Newer 10 speed shifter (newer than mine; in the lower price ranges, not Chorus & Record) generally will only shift up to a higher gear one cog at a time like Shimano. I think the name they hung on it was "Escape" or something like that. There are some of the lower line models that don't have that "feature" but I don't know how to tell the difference without having them in my hand. The newer style/shape 10 speed levers (think Gumby head) have different internals and I don't think they are part by part re-buildable (just like the 11 speed models aren't). Bear in mind I have never used either of those types but that's the sum total of my research when I buy used 10 speed Campy stuff.

Link:

https://www.cxmagazine.com/shimano-c...-compatibility

Likes For samkl:
Old 01-24-21, 02:25 PM
geluzj

Bikes: 1972 Raleigh Grand Sports; 1998 LeMond Zurich; 2003 Redline Conquest Pro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 9 Posts
Thanks for digging up the info.

I was thinking this would be more of a "plug n play" solution. But it being a new bike and a tandem (with long, fiddly cables), I think I'll revert to the other plan - a 10sp drivetrain with a Rival rear shifter, GX rear derailleur, and a barend for the front triple. It'll cost a tiny bit more and seems like it'd be less fussy.
samkl A bit of a bump for this thread... I wonder if you landed on a solution. If you're still interested in running the Shimano 9 derailleurs and cassette, I'm a big fan of the Campy Athena 11/Shimano 9 combination. Both of my bikes run this, and I had a third with 3x9:

Marin San Marino with Athena 11 Triple, Ultegra 6500 GS, Tiagra 4600 Triple (I've since sold this frame)

Lemond Zurich with Athena 11 Double, Dura Ace 7700 rear/7800 front

Redline Conquest with Athena 11 Triple, Ultegra 6500 GS. I set this one up 1x9, but could go triple in the future if I want a touring setup.

They were all easy to set up (no need for the "hubbub" cable anchoring) and shifting has been flawless. Note that I've only gotten it to work with Athena 11. I tried this with Potenza 11, which did not work, so I don't think current Centaur 11 would either. I'm not sure if any generation of Chorus/Record/SR 11 would work.
Old 01-24-21, 02:42 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I've had lots of luck with the rear, less with the front. I had Athena 11-speeds on a 3x9 bike and it worked okay. I had a MTB front derailleur because of the chain line but a road front derailleur would have worked better with the indexing. I still have Veloce 10-speeds on a 2x7 road bike setup and I still feel the front indexing is a little off with the RX100 FD and crank. Although the Veloce were billed as 2x10, they have enough indexes (5 clicks pull, 2 release) and pull enough cable for a front triple.

I believe but have still not tried proving that the new Shimano ratio is very close to the Campy 10-11 Ergo's and so Shimergo should work with the newer STI's. One respondent told me he tried it and it didn't quite work to his satisfaction.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 01-24-21, 03:22 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
I'm a 25 year Campy only guy, but I wouldn't mess with old Campy parts. In 2003-2007 I had several bikes with Campy 10 and an FSA 53/39/28 triple, but today I have more range with my sram force axs 12 speed, with a 46/30 crank and 10-36 cassette.

I'd never buy anything lower level than Campy chorus.
Old 01-24-21, 03:35 PM
samkl 

Originally Posted by geluzj
samkl A bit of a bump for this thread... I wonder if you landed on a solution. If you're still interested in running the Shimano 9 derailleurs and cassette, I'm a big fan of the Campy Athena 11/Shimano 9 combination. Both of my bikes run this, and I had a third with 3x9:
We went ahead with SRAM 10 speed and skipped the Shimergo thing altogether. And then the bike build got delayed, so it hasn't even been put together yet. But who knows, one day this might come in handy!