Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Vintage Dahon Getaway single speed folder

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-20, 12:59 PM
Dwarf10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Guys, new here so go easy with me!.Just purchased two ,great condition , vintage Dahon Getaway. single speed Folders here in the U.K
They are both Bright Yellow .. Most of the Dahons I've tried to identify them to seem to have at least 3 gears, i.e the classic III
Can anyone throw some light on them for me? I have been on sooo many sites i'm dizzy. Id also like to find out their age. The frame number of the first one is A830537 and this one has Lee Chi brake levers and the badge on the rear fender has Dahon L.A California. The second frame number is A907174. This one has plain levers and a fender badge with Getaway L.A California on it.
While I'm here , talking to the experts ,I could do with some help sourcing a new front fender and chain guard for the A830... one. The fender is in a trillion bits but glued together somehow and the chain guard is chrome and not quite the right shape/size so sure its off something else!
Any pointers or web sites to visit with actual helpful info would be much appreciated guys, Cheers Craig
Old 03-16-20, 09:30 AM
rhenning

Liked 107 Times in 80 Posts
This is my Getaway and mine is about a 2000 model year and also a single speed. Roger

Likes For rhenning:
Old 03-26-20, 09:40 PM
Dekaye

Bikes: Dahon Tailwind (1998), GT Timberline (1995)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Though not a single speed Getaway I have just purchased a 7 speed 20" Tailwind in a deep candy blue, I believe according to the frame number was built around 1998 I too have scoured the net in search of information about this Dahon model, to find little, most of them appear to be in Thailand in various states of repair, though I did find one 'living' in the US.

Despite getting the bike new or rather unused (it had been stored in it's bag in a shed since the turn of the century), I am in the process of making it in ways 'better', to have so far massively improved the braking system by way of fitting dual pivot calipers and more rigid brake levers and I am soon to attend to the gearing as I live in Devon and I am no spring chicken to need some lighter gearing.

I have also fitted a later Dahon luggage rack and a Biologic seat tube pump along with putting puncture slime in the tubes as getting that back wheel off at the side of he road is not something I want to do, if I should be unfortunate enough to get a puncture.