Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Trying to disqualify myself

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-20, 03:09 PM
exercion

Bikes: Cannondales: Synapse 5 Carbon and F5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 34 Posts

Ok so I have been lurking and reading a number of the forus here for quite a long time, only rarely posting though. But I figured I'd share some of how my year has gone. This spring, can't remember just when, I saw a number on my scale that had me say "oh hell no": 256. So I decided too get back to eating in ways that have helped me control weight before, change a couple of habits, and more fun, get back on my bikes. As background, I'm 5'3" and built as I describe it like a fireplug or a scaled down version of a fullback. At my all time best condition I was a rock solid 190 (thigh measurement the same as my inseam lol climbing was good back in those days). So I didn't have a number in mind to reach, just better. I did figure it'd be neat to hit the number I told DMV when I got my drivers license. Fast forward a few months, and I bike with a couple of different groups every week, plus ride on my own. I refuse to eat meals less than 4 hours before going to bed (that was a biggie I think, my work schedule is odd and changes a lot, so I got into some bad habits), and stick to good foods. I blew past the DL weight of 235, and am officially into the 220's, surprising myself. Sooooo maybe getting booted from the Clyde class is possible, we'll see. It may sound funny, but one of the more rewarding aspects of this, and one that I look forward to is having to punch new holes to get my belts to fit.
Old 08-13-20, 07:43 AM
bubbafat

Bikes: Trek Verve 2

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by exercion
It may sound funny, but one of the more rewarding aspects of this, and one that I look forward to is having to punch new holes to get my belts to fit.
It's been one of my favorite things as well. Since coming down from 360 to 275 I've had to punch a lot of holes and each one was a lot of fun.
Likes For bubbafat:
Old 08-14-20, 04:58 PM
Sertsa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 67 Posts
Congratulations. I also get odd enjoyment punching holes in my belt. I no longer even wear the one I used when I was 440lbs, but I keep it. And every so often I try it on and punch a new hole. It's close to wrapping around me twice (I'm 223lbs now/6'2").

I also worked odd hours, and the late night eating/snacking was a major problem (especially as I'd often skip lunches, get home at midnight very hungry, and binge). Cutting that out greatly helped, along with other habits like snacking while the computer or watching TV.
Likes For Sertsa:
Old 08-18-20, 05:34 PM
exercion

Bikes: Cannondales: Synapse 5 Carbon and F5

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Sertsa
Congratulations. I also get odd enjoyment punching holes in my belt. I no longer even wear the one I used when I was 440lbs, but I keep it. And every so often I try it on and punch a new hole. It's close to wrapping around me twice (I'm 223lbs now/6'2").

I also worked odd hours, and the late night eating/snacking was a major problem (especially as I'd often skip lunches, get home at midnight very hungry, and binge). Cutting that out greatly helped, along with other habits like snacking while the computer or watching TV.
Thanks for the support, glad to know I'm not the only guy who thinks that way. But really, much props and congrats for your journey, that's quite the accomplishment.
Likes For exercion:
Old 08-19-20, 07:13 AM
ChiefTJS

Bikes: Trek Multitrack, Norco XFR

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 43 Posts
I'm 54 and just saw a number I really didn't like (253.1) and decided to get back on the bike and stop eating like it's a sport. I left Clyde status a few years ago for a bit and I need that in my life again. Time to focus!!
Likes For ChiefTJS:
Old 08-26-20, 09:14 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
Originally Posted by exercion
Sooooo maybe getting booted from the Clyde class is possible, we'll see. It may sound funny, but one of the more rewarding aspects of this, and one that I look forward to is having to punch new holes to get my belts to fit.
Two of the more-satisfying moments? Punching a couple additional holes in your smallest belts, and setting fire to the last pair of older "fatty" slacks you own. Still brings a big grin to my face, whenever I remember those.

Congrats on the basic changes. Assuming the metabolism is still basically functioning well, it's funny how easily it can work when the right habits (eating, exercise, hydration, sleep) are done.

Looking forward to not seeing you here, in future. Meant in a good way, of course.

180lb "fireplug" here you come!
Likes For Clyde1820: