Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

affordable carbon wheel options?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

affordable carbon wheel options?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-20, 07:38 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
I like wheelsets that use common hubs and spokes.
What are common hubs?

I understand the spoke comment(non-proprietary), but what is a common hub?
Old 10-07-20, 08:01 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11960 Post(s)
Liked 6,628 Times in 3,476 Posts
Question: WHY can't you guys answer the very simple question put forth by the OP without finding something(s) to argue about and personally attacking one another?
Likes For BillyD:
Old 10-07-20, 08:10 PM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
What are common hubs?

Things like Hope, DT, etc are hubs in my mind that provide bearings and tools to repair and replace things if you need.The offer easy conversion kits to go from 135mm hubs to 142mm hubs and so on. The novatec, bitex, and other forumula hubs like that are hard to repair or modify. Wheelset with hubs like that are basically disposable.
Old 10-07-20, 10:30 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by vespasianus
Things like Hope, DT, etc are hubs in my mind that provide bearings and tools to repair and replace things if you need.The offer easy conversion kits to go from 135mm hubs to 142mm hubs and so on. The novatec, bitex, and other forumula hubs like that are hard to repair or modify. Wheelset with hubs like that are basically disposable.
Cassette bodies are usually proprietary,no matter which brand. It's not easy to find proprietary parts for for junk like formula, but the others are available.
Old 10-07-20, 10:57 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
Question: WHY can't you guys answer the very simple question put forth by the OP without finding something(s) to argue about and personally attacking one another?
What is wrong with arguing in response to a question?

(I kid. I can sense the facepalm emanating from you. Deservedly so. Bikeforums and Slowtwitch probably have the highest cases of people just not willing to let things go and absolutely obsessed with getting the last word in. I blame the bicycle saddle).
Old 10-08-20, 12:27 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
What are common hubs?

hubs such DT Swiss whose design, product and parts are used by other manufacturers. Chris King hubs are very proprietary, for example, compared to a DT Swiss or Shimano hub.
Old 10-08-20, 12:33 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
The behavior has been allowed for so long that I am pretty sure there are people who come just to Insult and belittle someone. This behavior doesn’t seem to happen in the track forum. There are some strong personalities there that squash that behavior quickly. It simply is not tolerated.
Likes For colnago62:
Old 10-08-20, 05:36 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
To dive into the debate (hopefully constructively), I think whenever people ask about wheel upgrades a valid question to have people think about is "what do you think you'll get out of it?" Yeah, people have the ability to spend money however they want, but I think it's fair to have folks consider if they really want to spend $1k for what I believe amounts to a few mins over the course of a long ride. For example, if I took a recent century ride I did in 5:14 using the stock Axis Sport wheels, how many mins would a reasonably nice set of wheels get for me? 5-10? Everyone has their own personal thoughts on what the value of performance is, but to me, that time savings, even added up across rides, definitely isn't enough to justify the expense of something around $1k (which is more than the bike cost in my case lol).

It may be different for someone else, which is fine, but I think it's always valid to put the question out there when people are considering upgrading wheels, because they may think of things differently if, say, the performance benefit isn't as great as they initially envisioned or whatever, and in some cases it might be worth investing in other aspects of getting fitter/faster (not to say nice wheels are reserved for only those who train, but training obviously has a big hand in this).
Old 10-08-20, 05:37 AM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Cassette bodies are usually proprietary,no matter which brand. It's not easy to find proprietary parts for for junk like formula, but the others are available.
Yup, which makes them basically disposable as they are usually made of soft aluminum that gets chewed up by the cassette.
Old 10-08-20, 05:47 AM
vespasianus

Originally Posted by hubcyclist
To dive into the debate (hopefully constructively), I think whenever people ask about wheel upgrades a valid question to have people think about is "what do you think you'll get out of it?" Yeah, people have the ability to spend money however they want, but I think it's fair to have folks consider if they really want to spend $1k for what I believe amounts to a few mins over the course of a long ride. For example, if I took a recent century ride I did in 5:14 using the stock Axis Sport wheels, how many mins would a reasonably nice set of wheels get for me? 5-10? Everyone has their own personal thoughts on what the value of performance is, but to me, that time savings, even added up across rides, definitely isn't enough to justify the expense of something around $1k (which is more than the bike cost in my case lol).

It may be different for someone else, which is fine, but I think it's always valid to put the question out there when people are considering upgrading wheels, because they may think of things differently if, say, the performance benefit isn't as great as they initially envisioned or whatever, and in some cases it might be worth investing in other aspects of getting fitter/faster (not to say nice wheels are reserved for only those who train, but training obviously has a big hand in this).
Yeah, but light carbon wheels just feel soooo good! (:
Old 10-08-20, 06:17 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
Originally Posted by vespasianus
Yeah, but light carbon wheels just feel soooo good! (:
Perhaps, I wouldn't know! lol Also, for me I've ridden outside a grand total of 5 days this entire year, so wheels aren't going to make a difference on the trainer!
Old 10-08-20, 07:01 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts

I ostensibly agree with this, and wheels were my very last upgrade after 3 years of riding shallow, al wheels. They came after ensuring I had the best value helmet (in terms of max speed for a particular budget), best value tubes/tires, much shorter crank arms (from 172.5 to 165mm) to maximize fit. and an aero cockpit that also served to improve fit (including going from 42cm to 38 cm bars, and a 110mm to 130mm stem).

If I had to do it all over again, and there weren't budget constraints, I'd knock all of those things out in one fell swoop along with some 55-65mm wheels, but I think it's a sensible progression in so far as really maximizing speed per $ and not just buying something for the sake of buying something.

The most heinous performance faux paus I see is expensive, aero carbon wheels with gatorskins or some other such tire. I fully understand not being able to optimize fit, and not wanting to deal with internal cable routing/handelbars, and maybe choosing a particular helmet or clothing for comfort, but I simply can't get my head around the reasoning of getting aero wheels for performance purposes and then intentionally slowing them down with anti-performance tires.

Long story short, there's typically much lower hanging speed available for significantly less money.

Of course, at the end of the day, if the only reasoning needed is that they look cooler, I can also get behind that...
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 10-08-20, 07:36 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6950 Post(s)
Liked 10,958 Times in 4,685 Posts

Thank you for this very constructive post.

I think the related question - and maybe this is implicit in your suggestion - is "What kind of riding are you doing?" When I see these posts about fancy deep-section cf wheels, the posters rarely mention racing. Yeah, I get it: riding faster, either with your friends, or on Strava segments, or just for your own thrills, is fun; but to me (only speaking for me), that doesn't justify spending big money for equipment that is often less reliable than the stuff that costs less money. Even when I was road racing, I didn't see the point in spending huge money just to move up a couple spots in an amateur category.

I think that, for many riders, the equipment is sort of an arms race: everyone is trying to keep up, and hence no one gains an advantage in the long-run. And the gains are actually pretty small anyway, when you do the math. A person would, in many cases, gain more performance by spending less money and taking more time off from work for real training.
Old 10-08-20, 08:55 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I think that, for many riders, the equipment is sort of an arms race: everyone is trying to keep up, and hence no one gains an advantage in the long-run.
Uhh, if you're trying to gain speed, then yes, everyone gains. Especially because most people aren't racing each other in the first place.

And the gains are actually pretty small anyway, when you do the math. A person would, in many cases, gain more performance by spending less money and taking more time off from work for real training.
This isn't an either/or situation. Not sure why you're trying to turn it into one.
Old 10-08-20, 09:23 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6950 Post(s)
Liked 10,958 Times in 4,685 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Uhh, if you're trying to gain speed, then yes, everyone gains. Especially because most people aren't racing each other in the first place.

This isn't an either/or situation. Not sure why you're trying to turn it into one.
I think my points didn't get across to you.

The question is: why is the rider trying to gain speed? If it is to keep up with other riders, then faster equipment is indeed like an arms race: everyone spends money on more weapons, and no one gains an advantage.

Regarding the second point: it may be an either/or situation: work more and earn money for equipment, or work less in order to ride more. Sure, plenty of people don't have that option - work hours are invariate. But they are often more flexible than that. If I taught summer school every year, I could've bought fancier bikes; but I gained more (in terms of riding speed, strength) by using that time to ride and do other workouts. Oh, and by spending more time laying on the couch, too.
Old 10-08-20, 10:10 AM
ericcox
Trying to keep up

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, Orbea Onix, Ridley Fenix

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
With extreme trepidation, I'm jumping in. I used to ride a lot / race on occasion. For the last decade+, I've spent way more time on my kids' activities. They're older now and with Covid, there have been way less kids activities + both kids like riding to an extent now. I have now ridden more miles in the last several months than I did in the past 6-7 years combined. Back in the day, I spent a fair amount on a pretty good Orbea with Ultegra. A few years ago, I bough a cheaper bike with 105 as it was all I needed (and really it was overkill for what I was riding at the time).

I'm not planning on racing, but I am riding a lot right now and plan to keep putting in miles the way I did in the past. I'm racing against myself if anything, though I will be joining in faster group rides as conditions warrant it. I bought some very cheap carbon wheels this summer because I wanted to. Yes, they're a little more aerodynamic than what I had, and they are definitely lighter. I could have spent a lot more on nicer ones, but decided to go cheap because back when I was racing, I couldn't afford them. So I bought them. Am I faster? Maybe, but it probably has more to do with the miles I'm putting in. I also just bought I power meter because I'm interested in the power data. I've always enjoyed pouring through information; the power data gives me more to look at. Oh, and right now I'm running gatorskins because some of the roads I ride on are atrocious - I actually flatted yesterday. I'm switching back to Rubinos when these wear out, however.

So what's the point of this? These little purchases are like rewards to myself. They aren't about massive gains, but they help incentivize me to put in more miles. Not everyone needs that incentive. Good for you. Others want to gain speed and have made every little upgrade to do so.

So... if someone wants something new, I think it is reasonable to ask what the priorities are: speed, longevity, cost, etc., and help them balance that. I went super cheap on Superteam wheels because speed was ostensibly a concern, but speed wasn't worth $1000 or $1500 to me. If they break after a few thousand miles, I won't be crushed.

I guess what I'm saying is can't we all just get along :-).
Old 10-08-20, 04:26 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1526 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
I think that, for many riders, the equipment is sort of an arms race: everyone is trying to keep up, and hence no one gains an advantage in the long-run. And the gains are actually pretty small anyway, when you do the math. A person would, in many cases, gain more performance by spending less money and taking more time off from work for real training.
If there are many folks like me (and I've learnt not to bank on that), another reason, perhaps the main reason, is that they're in love with the machine, and want a prime example just for the sake of it. A thing of beauty is a joy forever.
Likes For Kimmo:
Old 10-08-20, 04:44 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by Kimmo
If there are many folks like me (and I've learnt not to bank on that), another reason, perhaps the main reason, is that they're in love with the machine, and want a prime example just for the sake of it. A thing of beauty is a joy forever.
+1

For about a year, I've been searching for a great price on some 5th generation Campagnolo Delta brakes. I know they don't work better than the Chorus Monoplaners, but they are beautiful.

I rarely ride this bike, but I still want her to have Delta calipers.
Likes For noodle soup: