Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1995 Bianchi Eros conversion

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-20, 03:24 PM
kmman

Bikes: 2020 Giant Defy, 1995 Bianchi Eros, 1994 Marin Pine Mountain

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Folks, new to the Forum here. I have been ring a 1995 Eros for 30 years and recently got a new road bike. I am considering converting the Eros to a commuter. I'd like to simplify and go from the triple chainring / 8 speed Mirage to a 1x9 or 1x10. Would this require swapping out the entire groupset (brifters, chainring, dérailleur, cassette, maybe even rear wheel) as opposed to just the chainring and cassette? Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 10-23-20, 03:44 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Why not just keep it cheap? I'd keep what you have and focus on what you need to make the bike suitable for commuting.
Old 10-23-20, 03:45 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
Welcome to BF! Thank You for joining the commuter world!

Your Q?, really is so many ways to tackle this. Keep everything and just lock the front derailleur down or maybe take the drivetrain off, sell it or keep it. Buy a 9 or 10 set of stuff you need then build.

MHO, keep what you got and use it. But clean it every Night! We commuters are a dirty lot!
Old 10-23-20, 03:48 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
OMG! Most important question you should be asking... what fenders should I be using?
Old 10-23-20, 03:53 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Why are you thinking of going 1x? Commuting tends to require more gear range rather than less. It's nice to have a bail out gear when you are tired from a long day or carrying home groceries.

In general though, going through the bike to find any issues, a tuneup, and replacement of any worn out parts is a great start. You may also want to adjust your cockpit to be a little more upright to increase visibility if you are doing a lot of urban riding.
Old 10-23-20, 04:10 PM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 192 Posts
We need pictures of the condition of the bike. However, this is a nice bike with a nice Campy triple set on there. The gearing should be great already. I'd just get a taller stem and wider drop bars, fenders, and you'd be ready to go.

To do a 1x9 or 1x10 is a lot. Because this isn't a Shimano or SRAM based system, the entire drivetrain, bottom bracket, rear wheel, and shifters and bars depending if you want drop bars or not.

That's a nice group set, that if is in nice shape could be tuned and reused.
Old 10-23-20, 04:12 PM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 192 Posts
For reference

I think it's this bike. Campy Mirage.

Last edited by mechanicmatt; 10-23-20 at 04:16 PM.
Old 10-23-20, 04:16 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts
Honestly wouldn't change a thing for commuting other than maybe wider tires and adding fenders.
Old 10-23-20, 08:54 PM
pcb 

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 286 Posts
I'm going to sound like a skipping record again ('cause all us old analog heads know that a _broken_ record wouldn't even spin, right?), but before we can give you useful advice, we need to know what your gearing range is now, and what you think you might want it to be when using the Eros as a commuter. And we need a rundown on the actual parts.

_Then_ we can deal with the details of what might need to be changed.

In general, I can't see any reason not to want to simplify the gearing for commuting use. Figuring out how 1x will work for you can be as easy as leaving the chain on one chainring. Ride your commute route, leave it on one chainring, and see what the gear spread is like. If the high/low gears are OK, whatever chainring you picked should work. Toss the other ring/rings and use track chainring bolts for the single ring, ditch the fder and fshifter, and Bob's yer uncle. Instant 1x.

If the range is overall too low/high, you'll want to use a bigger/smaller ring.

If you can get the actual high/low gear to work with the 8spd cassette you have now, no need to change that.

But first, let us know whatcha got, and what you think about whatcha got.

PS: If you expect to ride in the rain, you will want full-coverage fenders.
Old 10-23-20, 11:31 PM
kmman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies - to answer the questions, the triple chainring is a 20/32/42 and the cassette is an 8 speed 11-28. I live in Phoenix - in the last year I have gotten caught in the rain exactly once, so I will pass on the fenders. I have put on 700 x 28 Gatorskins, and double wrapped the bars. The terrain here is VERY flat - I keep the chain on the middle ring, and literally only use the 12, 14, and 16 cogs on my daily ride. I am thinking a narrow range cassette would be a little more useful than the wide touring range cassette on there now. Sounds like the simple thing to do is to just swap the cassette. I have the dark blue Eros - kick myself daily for not shelling out the extra $50 in 1995 for the celeste ;-)
Old 10-24-20, 09:00 AM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
I have an Eros in the Crimson color and find it to be a very versatile bike. Although mine came with the Mirage triple, it also came with Shimano brakes which makes me a bit crazy as everything including the wheels is Campy. OP may I ask what brakes yours has ?
Old 10-24-20, 09:15 AM
kmman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Campy Mirage brakes
Old 10-24-20, 09:18 AM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
Originally Posted by kmman
Campy Mirage brakes
Thank you, I was never sure if it came from the factory with mixed parts or were changed along the way. One of them (front or rear) is a long reach which are not too easy to find.